Hardwick | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Hardwick

Carter

Tiger Legend
Nov 14, 2012
We were all clamouring for a third marking forward. Dimma says ‘nup, Bakes will make the difference’.

What a team. What a coach he has become.

Reactions: 2 users

Tenacious

Tiger Legend
May 19, 2008
Liked his description of his team talk at half time (or was it 3/4 time not sure now) and he said he got all mixed up and lost his lines.
So he just acknowledged it to the boys and said something like "I've got no idea what I'm talking about now - so just out there and do your job"

Reactions: 1 users

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Always the eternal question. Was the chicken first or was it the egg?

Coaching equivalent. Does the coach make the players or the players make the coach?

No Dusty, Prestia, Flossy or Lamblett playing against the undefeated Woofers while the form line has been patchy at best.

Two miserable goals in a half of footy with the Woofers looking every chance to blow the game to the shizen.

Rest, reset n kick the SYSTEM into overdrive, OMFG awesomeness awakens. Gotta give mega kudos to the Coach. Stars are out n plugging holes with kids. Many experts n commentators barely acknowledge the quality of our players year in, year out. Yet we keep banging heads n taking home the prizes, because of our system. Coach is to blame for our system. In Dimma we trust.

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Injuries sure do create opportunities. RCD debuts, Ross plays a whole game Mansell has played a few games now which he wouldn't have if Vlastuin was fit.
Positional changes occur because of injuries too, Pickett finally goes into the midfield. I liked how Dimma said last night that we learnt a few things about ourselves tonight.
I reckon those learnings our gunna make us better too.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Need to get off the rollercoaster - alternating wins and losses over four games for the first time since 2015. And we need to get off at the right end (W).

Reactions: 3 users

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
We were all clamouring for a third marking forward. Dimma says ‘nup, Bakes will make the difference’.

I still want CCJ in as the old mid-90s triangle we had. Maybe time for Nuts to play in the 2nds.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Hardwick was always a good coach and the team's consistent improvement year on year showed that. He did it the hard way too, inheriting a basket case with a few gems in it. Some of us could see that from the early days.

He did develop of course, along with the core of the team we have today. He saw where he had to change and worked on it. It's been a great journey.

Reactions: 5 users

bob

Tiger Superstar
Mar 18, 2014

This is spot on Carter. The Baker move was brilliant. His energy and tackles in the 3rd (and end of 2nd), turned the game. Together with Cotch.

He is a seriously good coach Damien. Seriously good - and very underrated by the media and those supposedly in the know. My view has always been that ppl underrate him b/c he is not a great media performer. Many posters dont agree with me on this, but Damien is below Salty, below Buckley and 1-2 others for his media performances.

But re: football, he is at the top of his game.

I actually heard Matthew Lloyd on 3aw (who rated him even more post watching the Amazon doco!), call him the master coach. Very few others understand how good he is.

Spirit of Jack

Only a Tiger premiership can make 2020 a good year
Apr 19, 2004
This is spot on Carter. The Baker move was brilliant. His energy and tackles in the 3rd (and end of 2nd), turned the game. Together with Cotch.

He is a seriously good coach Damien. Seriously good - and very underrated by the media and those supposedly in the know. My view has always been that ppl underrate him b/c he is not a great media performer. Many posters dont agree with me on this, but Damien is below Salty, below Buckley and 1-2 others for his media performances.

I actually heard Matthew Lloyd on 3aw (who rated him even more post watching the Amazon doco!), call him the master coach. Very few others understand how good he is.
Agree with this. Dimma is not a polished speaker and his media performances reflect that. Also he seemingly missed a number of senior coaching gigs because his presentation skills were not as strong as others. However it is clear that tactically he may be the best coach the AFL has seen and he has incredible leadership qualities.

I reckon it will take one more flag for the narrative to flip on Dimma. He would go from underated coach to best coach ever. It happened to Dusty, even after two Norm Smiths, Dusty was simply a top 3-5 player in most AFL fans and media commentators eyes. Then when he won his 3rd Norm Smith the narrative changed overnight to - clearly the best player in today's AFL and in the conversation for best player ever.

Reactions: 6 users

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003

Good call. After watching the amazon doco you gain a greater appreciation of Damien Hardwick as a leader. In comparison Leon Cameron and Adam Simpson were quite bland and uninspiring. Stuart Dew seems like someone you'd want to play for.

Bullarto Tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 17, 2012
Is anyone able to provide a snapshot of Dimma's presser tonight?
What sort of mood was he in?
Anything of particular interest?

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Is anyone able to provide a snapshot of Dimma's presser tonight?
What sort of mood was he in?
Anything of particular interest?
In a word... accepting. Said our pressure was down and praised Geelong. Definitely downbeat but not unduly so. Wasn't very expansive. Gave the impression he knows what went wrong.

Not sure if we're allowed to post these.

Last edited:

123cups

Tiger Champion
May 1, 2016
Our system has been made vulnerable by Sydney, Melbourne, and now Geelong.

Dimma’s powerless expression in the coaches box against Melbourne and Geelong suggest a need to innovate to regain our game style advantage.

Out defence has looked vulnerable all season, while our attack has looked very impressive for the most part - but defence wins premierships.

When Rance, Astbury, Grimes and Vlastuin were going strong, it felt like we were practically unbeatable down back. You just felt safe. Opposition kicks it I50? Lol good luck!

I hope we see more defensive impenetrability again. Astbury is the only 1 of those 4 great defenders who is fit right now, so this might not be system.

I don’t know how Geelong won. They loved creating 2v1s in their F50 and then blocking to take the mark.

They also moved the ball very quickly after taking each mark.

Looked like Geelong’s 2007 philosophy of quick ball movement beating quick players. Their forward entries were usually to space, on the lead, with fast and low kicks.

There was a lot happening in that game. Think we’ll need innovation.

I hope Dimma makes changes with his philosophy from 2017 in mind: Build the plan around the player’s strengths... it doesn’t work the other way around.

It won’t be easy to challenge again this year, but we know for certain, this group isn’t afraid of hard work.

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
Our system has been made vulnerable by Sydney, Melbourne, and now Geelong.

Dimma’s powerless expression in the coaches box against Melbourne and Geelong suggest a need to innovate to regain our game style advantage.

Out defence has looked vulnerable all season, while our attack has looked very impressive for the most part - but defence wins premierships.

When Rance, Astbury, Grimes and Vlastuin were going strong, it felt like we were practically unbeatable down back. You just felt safe. Opposition kicks it I50? Lol good luck!

I hope we see more defensive impenetrability again. Astbury is the only 1 of those 4 great defenders who is fit right now, so this might not be system.

I don’t know how Geelong won. They loved creating 2v1s in their F50 and then blocking to take the mark.

They also moved the ball very quickly after taking each mark.

Looked like Geelong’s 2007 philosophy of quick ball movement beating quick players. Their forward entries were usually to space, on the lead, with fast and low kicks.

There was a lot happening in that game. Think we’ll need innovation.

I hope Dimma makes changes with his philosophy from 2017 in mind: Build the plan around the player’s strengths... it doesn’t work the other way around.

It won’t be easy to challenge again this year, but we know for certain, this group isn’t afraid of hard work.
Where have you been?
Last night's efforts have been matched and beaten over the last 4 years.
2017 Adelaide and Stkilda
2018 WC and Adelaide
2019 Gws, Collingwood & Geelong
2020 Stkilda & Hawthorn.

Giardiasis

Tiger Legend
Apr 20, 2009
Brisbane
We thrive on adversity. Sparks the players and staff to be better. I just feel that the stimulus is sufficient for now, footy gods if you could just leave it at that, thanks.