If we get Taranto and Hopper, the AFL may as well hand us the 2023 premiership now! | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

If we get Taranto and Hopper, the AFL may as well hand us the 2023 premiership now!

WesternTiger

Tiger Legend
Nov 7, 2004
I hesitate to mention that there are rules applying to our draw next season. Based on our finish it should be no more difficult than this years.
Rules? What rules. This is the AFL you know...

The rules when it comes to RFC are on the same harddrive as the 'other ARC footage'!

Reactions: 3 users

Tenacious Tiges

I remember when Balmey just thugged them .....
Apr 11, 2003
I hesitate to mention that there are rules applying to our draw next season. Based on our finish it should be no more difficult than this years.
Are but MnM, we have rules and we have rules. Commonsense and the Nosense it’s Richmond rules.
We will get the pineapple mate. You watch.

Reactions: 1 users

No left foot

Tiger Rookie
Aug 30, 2020
Whately will start a 'State of the Trade' narrative tomorrow and question why clubs like Richmond are stealing the future of the expansion teams.

• Love
Reactions: 5 users

Willo

Tiger Legend
Oct 13, 2007
Aldinga Beach
We can expect the afl to go over our player contracts with a fine tooth comb.

You can just imagine Gill’s indignation that his media deal has been made yesterday’s news.

He will send in his dogs, make an exception to any external deals our players have, reduce our TPP for some reason and look for any excuse to hamper us. AFL will be furious if we pull this off. They can gagf

• Love
  • Sad
Reactions: 5 users

waiting

Tiger Legend
Apr 15, 2007
Victoria
Don’t get ahead of ourselves boys & girls!

Hard not too but let’s get the deals done for both and not sell too much of the ‘farm’ for them.

TheCan

Tiger Superstar
Jul 17, 2011
i think there is far too much talk about this...unlike the tigers, dont think we get both

Reactions: 1 user

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
i think there is far too much talk about this...unlike the tigers, dont think we get both
It is really hard to fathom, especially Hopper who is still contracted. 2 x 1st rounders for him one would think, maybe a 2nd rounder in return. Taranto would have to be a first and a second. Whichever way you look at it, it's 3 first rounders and a second or maybe some good players (and I'm not talking about the ones who struggle to get a game) . It's going to be a hell of an effort from the Tigers to pull this off.

7 years for each of 2 players. This could get very messy in 2 to 3 years.

year of the tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 26, 2008
Tasmania
It’s a high stakes game the tigers have entered.

I am nervous we are taking 2 players from the same midfield of a middle of the road team. It’s accepted that the giants have underperformed with all the stars in their team, and one player Hopper, has been injured most of this year. OK, they were taken pick 2 and pick 8, so what, Watts was pick one, Scully a high pick and they never really turned a game that mattered.

The fact they are literally being pushed out of their club raises a red flag, salary cap or not. They are seen as the next level down in the pecking order of the giants stars, behind Greene, Kelly, Cogs and Green etc and those who have already left in Cameron, Treloar etc.

Who knows what will happen next year and it’s meant to be a bumper draft, better than this year - the pies traded away a future pick 2? after they crashed badly through speculative future trading which cost them a top player - Fin Callaghan was picked up but they could have had Gibs, Rachelle or Amiss playing for them right now.

How do these 2 players impact on Sonsie, Ross, Hugo and Clarke’s development in particular and also Brown and Banks.

Are they really worth the speculation on here, wiping out all our first 2 Rd picks this year and next years first is a lot.

But the case for is also compelling.

They are both good players in a team who made 1 gf, 3 prelims and a qual final.
Players from this years draft will take at least 2 years to really step up, whilst these players are now in their prime and should perform from the go.

This years draft is not as strong or deep as last years or next year.

The most compelling case for me is two fold
1. Cameron to the cats - he could deliver them a flag, has certainly got them in a position to win it 2 games out from lifting the cup. He was the difference in the qual final against the pies - I believe this is the reason we are doing this but it has taken him a few years to really click at the cats.

2. We saw the impact of Caddy, Prestia and Nank coming in and playing in 2017

The gamble is that if we do well next year because of these 2, then next years first will be a mid teen pick - the cost isn’t so bad, but if the opposite happens and it’s a top 10 then I reckon we have gambled poorly.

So after that ramble I think getting both is great - go for it but not at the expense of next years first rounder. Picks 12, 19 and 30 this year is a pretty good price to pay if you add in that we will be taking their salary of the giants books - which has to happen. I would almost ask the giants for their future second to come back to us.

Remember what the pies received for Treloar and the suns for Brodie - peanuts given they were both salary dumps and Taranto and Hopper are salary dumps, make no mistake.

Leave next years drafts off the table tigers.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005

yeah, club will need to start new renovations to find more space to display the premiership cups.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users

TigerPort

Tiger Champion
Jun 29, 2006
NSW
It is really hard to fathom, especially Hopper who is still contracted. 2 x 1st rounders for him one would think, maybe a 2nd rounder in return. Taranto would have to be a first and a second. Whichever way you look at it, it's 3 first rounders and a second or maybe some good players (and I'm not talking about the ones who struggle to get a game) . It's going to be a hell of an effort from the Tigers to pull this off.

New media rights deal should see a jump in salary cap in 2025. That will solve any future salary cap squeeze

Last time there was a jump in the salary cap we were able to offer Dusty his huge contract and keep all the future multiple premiership starts

Our recruiters have lucked in again....or are they actually planning long term. I am going with the latter based on mounting evidence

Reactions: 2 users

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
Geelong has been the butt of a lot of ridicule on PRE over the years. They have an old list and keep topping up and have been unable to win a flag.

But this year is different. Not only will they probably win the flag, but they actually have some youth coming through that seems decent and is likely to keep them around the mark for a while yet. Then add Cameron to the mix who has become an elite player. You can’t win a flag without an elite player.

Now look at Richmond. We’ve had 6 retirees in 2 years. With 2 more coming next year. We have gone to the draft while still in the window and brought in some really good kids. Now its time to go to the trade table and fill in the remaining holes on our list. We also have an elite player coming through in Shai Bolton who is Dusty’s heir apparent.

We don’t need to bottom out to rebuild. If Dusty has a full preseason and we fix our soft tissue problems, we will be in it up to our necks in 2023. On top of that, this team has the potential to turn our era from one of the best in the 21st century, to one of the best in the history of the game.

We just need to get this deal done. I don''t wanna give away all 4 of those picks, but if thats what it takes, so be it.

Reactions: 10 users

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
New media rights deal should see a jump in salary cap in 2025. That will solve any future salary cap squeeze

Last time there was a jump in the salary cap we were able to offer Dusty his huge contract and keep all the future multiple premiership starts

Our recruiters have lucked in again....or are they actually planning long term. I am going with the latter based on mounting evidence
It is basically a 2 for 1 deal based on Dusty's salary. I'm more concerned about the 7 years for 2 players of the same age. Tigers have far more older players now than when we were winning premierships. Our midfield will be sorted for the next few years but do we have the quality of youngsters to take over the retiring greats? Time will tell. This is a high risk high reward play. I hope we have more luck than we had this year with all our close losses.

Reactions: 1 user

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
Geelong has been the butt of a lot of ridicule on PRE over the years. They have an old list and keep topping up and have been unable to win a flag.

But this year is different. Not only will they probably win the flag, but they actually have some youth coming through that seems decent and is likely to keep them around the mark for a while yet. Then add Cameron to the mix who has become an elite player. You can’t win a flag without an elite player.

Now look at Richmond. We’ve had 6 retirees in 2 years. With 2 more coming next year. We have gone to the draft while still in the window and brought in some really good kids. Now its time to go to the trade table and fill in the remaining holes on our list. We also have an elite player coming through in Shai Bolton who is Dusty’s heir apparent.

We don’t need to bottom out to rebuild. If Dusty has a full preseason and we fix our soft tissue problems, we will be in it up to our necks in 2023. On top of that, this team has the potential to turn our era from one of the best in the 21st century, to one of the best in the history of the game.

We just need to get this deal done. I don''t wanna give away all 4 of those picks, but if thats what it takes, so be it.
Geelong is ridiculed because they can' t take it all the way. I think they'll get rolled again (by Swans) and if they do everyone will once again be questioning their methodology. I'm amazed at how they manage to remain so competitive but is it a wiining formula to get you the ultimate prize?

Reactions: 2 users