Indigenous Voice Yes or No? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Indigenous Voice Yes or No?

How will you vote in referendum?

• Yes

Votes: 88 54.0%
  • No

Votes: 30 18.4%
  • Probably yes

Votes: 16 9.8%
  • Probably no

Votes: 15 9.2%
  • Dont know

Votes: 14 8.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I wasn't going to reply to you troll,WHICH YOU ARE .
You have added NOTHING on this thread ,and have just showed up and been a total *smile* head.

You do know Inter-generational Trauma can happen throughout the general population ,and isn't a isolated Indigenous issue.
You can't blame incidences that your grandparents or parents may of gone through in life for your behavior today,unless you have experienced there trauma .
Anyway lm sure people has different perspectives on this ,but l don't believe colonization is responsible for todays Indigenous problems.

https://twitter.com/SallyScales/status/1713138538051707366
https://twitter.com/SallyScales
https://twitter.com/SallyScales
We're in agreement Bengal.

Sally is spot on: "We have been rejected by the Australian people. Reconciliation is dead.”

I think she would say it doesn’t if you asked her. But her understanding of how remote communities function is I reckon second to none in federal politics. So she is well worth listening to.
Her knowledge should be there (though I am not sure if she has ever lived in a remote community.) But i am not sure how you could say she knows more than the likes of Malarndirri McCarthy or Marion Scrymgour.

But she has also been shown to be wrong claiming "Place not Race" impacts on Indigenous welfare, wrong that colonization had no lasting negative impact on Indigenous Australians, and refused to provide any evidence of her claim of AEC impropriety in remote communities.

It is unfortunate because she should be worth listening to, even for those that have differing views.

Reactions: 1 user
I think there is disadvantage mainly in remote areas ,
I get you think this because Price said it, but it is wrong.
If you read this article and look at the stats you will see:

A few examples- life expectancy is about 7-8 years less in major cities.
About twice as many Indigenous kids (per capita) are born under the healthy birth rate in capital cities.
Suicide rates are more than twice as high in capital cities.
Kids in out of home care rates are about 15 times higher in captital cities.
Nearly twice as many Indigenous Australians (per capita) experience housing over crowding in capital cities.
The rates for failing to complete yr 12 are about 3 times as high in capital cities.
The unemployment rate is about twice as high in capital cities.

Thoughts?

• Sad
Reactions: 3 users
I wasn't going to reply to you troll,WHICH YOU ARE .
You have added NOTHING on this thread ,and have just showed up and been a total *smile* head.

You do know Inter-generational Trauma can happen throughout the general population ,and isn't a isolated Indigenous issue.
You can't blame incidences that your grandparents or parents may of gone through in life for your behavior today,unless you have experienced there trauma .
Anyway lm sure people has different perspectives on this ,but l don't believe colonization is responsible for todays Indigenous problems.https://twitter.com/SallyScales

‘I understand inter-generational trauma and will now proceed to demonstrate my complete all-conquering lack of knowledge of the subject.’

I get you think this because Price said it, but it is wrong.
If you read this article and look at the stats you will see:

A few examples- life expectancy is about 7-8 years less in major cities.
About twice as many Indigenous kids (per capita) are born under the healthy birth rate in capital cities.
Suicide rates are more than twice as high in capital cities.
Kids in out of home care rates are about 15 times higher in captital cities.
Nearly twice as many Indigenous Australians (per capita) experience housing over crowding in capital cities.
The rates for failing to complete yr 12 are about 3 times as high in capital cities.
The unemployment rate is about twice as high in capital cities.

Thoughts?
all true and basic fact. But there are also a lot of Aboriginal communities that have all the same or similar disadvantage and problems of very remote desert communities that are in the shadows of a normal mainstream Australian towns. Yarrabah and Cairns, Hope Vale and Cooktown, Roebourne and Karratha, Cherbourg and Murgon, there are more, all within half an hour drive.

make of it what you will - but it looks like the indigenous communities voted a particular way ...
IMG_4496.jpgIMG_4496.jpg

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
make of it what you will - but it looks like the indigenous communities voted a particular way ...
There is only one thing to make of it. It exposes one of the planks of the successful mis-info scare campaign by the Coalition and the cookers and the neo-nazis. One of their strategies was to claim that to 80% for Aboriginal support for Yes polling wasn't legit, which was nonsense at face value and nonsense when you looked at the evidence and has been proven as such, in order to sow the seed of doubt in the minds of some who may have wanted to help out Aboriginal people and vote Yes.

Every plank of the No campaign was lies. But a big majority were willing to lap it up.

The No campaign are getting the plaudits for running a scare campaign based on lies and racism, while the Yes campaign are copping it, essentially for thinking Aussies, or at least a few more of them, were a little bit smarter and more compassionate. But winners are grinners right.

• Sad
Reactions: 2 users
An interesting stat I saw that of the approx 800,000 A&TSI over 32% are under 14. For the rest of Aust that % is less than 18%.

I assume the shorter life expectancy has something to do with it?

Those claims about the voice not being supported by the majority of indigenous are like a lot of the no campaign's statements - *smile*.

I know you lot think the high % of yes votes in remote aboriginal communities is a good story but you haven't considered the voter turnout:

Aboriginal population of NT (30%): = 76487
Aboriginal remote population (74.6%) = 57476
Proportion of remote aboriginal population of voting age (62.6%) = 35635
number of voters recorded as voting in remote polling stations in Lingiari = 9424

voter turnout = 26.4%

all data sourced from https://nteconomy.nt.gov.au/population#aboriginal
and https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-10-15/nt-voice-results-referendum-result-turnout/102978760

An interesting stat I saw that of the approx 800,000 A&TSI over 32% are under 14. For the rest of Aust that % is less than 18%.

I assume the shorter life expectancy has something to do with it?

Those claims about the voice not being supported by the majority of indigenous are like a lot of the no campaign's statements - *smile*.
Probably a higher birth rate.

As an aside that percentage in Gaza is 40%. Disadvantage, lack of education and high birth rates go together.

I know you lot think the high % of yes votes in remote aboriginal communities is a good story but you haven't considered the voter turnout:

Aboriginal population of NT (30%): = 76487
Aboriginal remote population (74.6%) = 57476
Proportion of remote aboriginal population of voting age (62.6%) = 35635
number of voters recorded as voting in remote polling stations in Lingiari = 9424

voter turnout = 26.4%

all data sourced from https://nteconomy.nt.gov.au/population#aboriginal
and https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-10-15/nt-voice-results-referendum-result-turnout/102978760
What is considered remote in your link?
The Monash Medical Model, typically used, considers all of the NT remote, except Darwin I think.
Which would mean your stats are not accurate, as most people living "remote" would be voting in Alice, Tennant, Katherine etc.

And? She doesn’t represent those specific communities or claim to.
She did claim to. In her maiden speech:

"Passing on through this nulla-nulla the authority to me to speak on behalf of our area."

She has also often been introduced, promoted and spawned headlines saying 'the voice of her people'.

Its understandable why she went full Trump on the remote NT results. Not that 60% of Australians care.

Reactions: 1 users
What is considered remote in your link?
The Monash Medical Model, typically used, considers all of the NT remote, except Darwin I think.
Which would mean your stats are not accurate, as most people living "remote" would be voting in Alice, Tennant, Katherine etc.t

There are 3 categories: Outer regional (25.4%) - which would be Darwin, Katherine, Tennant and Alice. Remote & very remote (74.6%).

So the stats are accurate. The remote polling booths are Lingiari - which is everywhere except Darwin. The tweet implied that this was all the mobile remote data. If so my stats are accurate.

keep clutching at straws if it makes you feel better.

If the voter turnout is this low then you can't read much into the high proportion of yes votes. The only people who voted are those who are politically engaged hard no and hard yes. The rest are indifferent or ignorant, take your pick.

She has also often been introduced, promoted and spawned headlines saying 'the voice of her people'.
Not sure who said it, but it was noted that Price was deadest against "A Voice to Canberra" because she wants to be "The Voice in Canberra".