Indigenous Voice Yes or No? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Indigenous Voice Yes or No?

How will you vote in referendum?

• Yes

Votes: 88 54.0%
  • No

Votes: 30 18.4%
  • Probably yes

Votes: 16 9.8%
  • Probably no

Votes: 15 9.2%
  • Dont know

Votes: 14 8.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
too late for that I fear.
Do not have to lift ones game at my age. If you lot get to be an Octogenarian no doubt you will be clashing with a younger gen lot who deem you to be mentally over the hill & incapable of using a device such as this. One aspect of being an Octo is that one can remember & enjoyed the Australian way of life without all the issues { LGBT Non Binary, Native Title, Voice to Parliament } before us. The average Australian Joe is pissed off with it. It is thrust upon them by weak politicians who want their vote therefore the average Joe has less rights than them when it comes to before a Beak. Now Albo has set a date for all future Australian Prime Ministers & that is to march in the annual LGBT Sydney Mardi Gras lot . If they do not they will be labeled anti LGBT.

Ant/Baloo as you are such a upstanding erudite mortals you should know this " What was AUSTRALIA's collective name by the Inhabitants before COOKIE then First Fleet Armada arrived " ?

While we're at it, what was Germany's collective name in 1788, how about Italy's collective name, where were the borders at that time?

Can we call Germany Terra Nulius now given that in 1788 it did not exist, Italy the same?

Your grasp of history is non-existent.

DS

Reactions: 1 user
Today is National sorry day. I feel for the stolen generation. And I’m sorry what the Australian government did to you at the time. Regardless of the upbringing and the reasons why. They should know who the are and who their parents were.

My position on the voice will be to vote yes when I can see how it’s going to clearly benefit situations like the below. In this article it explains the government department blame game. How can the voice help with bring down the barriers between government departments and helping communities like this one?

Indigenous leader who runs social programs wants tougher consequences for parents of young offenders - ABC News
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-05...nces-for-parents-of-young-offenders/102386914

Today is National sorry day. I feel for the stolen generation. And I’m sorry what the Australian government did to you at the time. Regardless of the upbringing and the reasons why. They should know who the are and who their parents were.

My position on the voice will be to vote yes when I can see how it’s going to clearly benefit situations like the below. In this article it explains the government department blame game. How can the voice help with bring down the barriers between government departments and helping communities like this one?

Indigenous leader who runs social programs wants tougher consequences for parents of young offenders - ABC News
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-05...nces-for-parents-of-young-offenders/102386914
That appears to be a state issue, but in theory a "voice" would help the government understand the issues and the causes, and help them draft meaningful responses- rather than either leaving it in the too hard basket- because really no one cares what happens in Kunnunarra- or having a response heavily influenced by getting a "tough on crime" or "tough on bad parents" headline, which appears to drive a lot of responses now.

In theory, a "voice" should lead to consistent responses and support for those programs that work, rather than the current cycle of money getting thrown at an issue in the headlines, only to be defunded the next time a headline hits, or a government changes.

Reactions: 3 users

This kind of position - "I'll only vote Yes if it solves a particular kind of problem that I find important" I find frankly incredibly frustrating, as of course it means "If my specific issue is not solved I'm happy with the status quo, keep doing things the same".

We've been doing things largely the same way from a bureaucratic point of view since 1967, and we can see that although advances have been made things are still far from good in remote and rural indigenous communities. The Voice does two things - one is the symbolic recognition of indigenous people in the constitution, and two is that the Voice will have significant input on policies and practices that the federal government is responsible for, and that hopefully this will have an effect - over time - on minimising the buck passing between government departments/agencies at federal/state/local levels.

I'm a firm believer that aboriginal and indigenous people will get better policy outcomes at all levels the more say that they have, and the Voice is a great start for this to happen.

If you vote No, it means you think that policy outcomes will be the same or worse than they are now, which ultimately means you think indigenous people should have no more say in policy that affects them than they do no.

A No vote means status quo. If you want to try something new by giving indigenous people a voice, vote Yes.

Reactions: 4 users
All the issues people want to see solved by the Voice have been attempted in the past. But we've had our collective foot on the indigenous populations head during that time and pretty much us deciding how to correct the issues that the indigenous population have because, well, we're the civilised ones.

I see the Voice as taking our foot of the indigenous populations head and letting them have a louder say in how to best address their issues and problems.

It hasn't worked until now because they never really had a voice in the debate. It's way way past time to give them that voice.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
While we're at it, what was Germany's collective name in 1788, how about Italy's collective name, where were the borders at that time?

Can we call Germany Terra Nulius now given that in 1788 it did not exist, Italy the same?

Your grasp of history is non-existent.

DS
Germany Prussia. Italy !! Long time since one left Saint Augustines CBC Yarraville so in the back of the head is the Holy Roman Empire ruled by the Hapsbergs who put aside their petty differences which resulted in Italy.

Germany Prussia. Italy !! Long time since one left Saint Augustines CBC Yarraville so in the back of the head is the Holy Roman Empire ruled by the Hapsbergs who put aside their petty differences which resulted in Italy.

this is all fine but has absolutely nothing to do with a referendum to give our indigenous people more say in their future.

Reactions: 1 users
Pretty sure variations of this keep popping up. including the claims that spending on Indigenous Australians outstrips the NDIS/Medicare etc.
this is from the report quoted in the post-
In 2015-16, the estimated direct expenditure per person was $44 886 for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Australians, around twice the rate for non-Indigenous Australians ($22 356); a similar ratio to previous years in this Report1. The higher per person expenditure (difference of $22 530) reflects the combined effects of: − greater intensity of service use ($14 349 or 63.7 per cent) — because of greater need, and because of the younger age profile of the population − higher cost of providing services ($8181 or 36.3 per cent) — for example, because of more remote locations, or because targeted services are provided in addition to mainstream services (for example, Indigenous liaison officers in hospitals).
In 2015-16, Indigenous specific services (targeted expenditure assumed to relate exclusively to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Australians) accounted for 18.0 per cent of direct expenditure on Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Australians, a decrease from 22.5 per cent in 2008-09. Mainstream services (expenditure available to all Australians through services and programs — for example, school education) accounted for 82.0 per cent, an increase from 77.5 per cent in 2008-09.

The post also states what we are doing isnt working, but we shouldnt change the approach until it is.

this is all fine but has absolutely nothing to do with a referendum to give our indigenous people more say in their future.
They have a lot to say about their Indigenous culture but only an acidic tongue for their non Indigenous blood line. All these leaders of The Voice movement are of mixed blood (descendants of Indigenous & white marriages of years past) & they do not acknowledge their White bloodline at all. Until they do I aint on their side to having a Voice in Parliament

They have a lot to say about their Indigenous culture but only an acidic tongue for their non Indigenous blood line. All these leaders of The Voice movement are of mixed blood (descendants of Indigenous & white marriages of years past) & they do not acknowledge their White bloodline at all. Until they do I aint on their side to having a Voice in Parliament

You would never be on their side even if they kissed your rosy arse cheeks mate.

One aspect of being an Octo is that one can remember & enjoyed the Australian way of life without all the issues { LGBT Non Binary, Native Title, Voice to Parliament } before us.
I wonder how an octogenarian indigenous Australian feels about the Australian way of life that you remember so fondly ? ( Not sure how many of them would be alive to ask of course.)

I wonder how an octogenarian indigenous Australian feels about the Australian way of life that you remember so fondly ? ( Not sure how many of them would be alive to ask of course.)
Dear Sin Stop wondering & tell everybody why they should not be alive today enjoying life as I am.

Some of the No arguments being trotted out are so bloody ridiculous.

Adam Goodes had a statue unveiled for him today, so can't see why we need to vote Yes for the Voice.

Etc.

Reactions: 2 users
Dear Sin Stop wondering & tell everybody why they should not be alive today enjoying life as I am.
Of course indigenous Australians didn’t exist back then in the good old days did they? Not officially
We knew how to deal with the black fellas in the good old days