Ivan Maric | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Ivan Maric

17 said:
We didn't have pick 38, 39, 40 or 40-45.
We had pick 37, and that's what we were able to offer Adelaide for Maric.
Pick 55 wasn't going to work.
Saying we have paid slightly overs is a theoretical tug.
This trade has filled a need at a reasonable price.

Was 46 right for Houli last year, yes, though we had hand so no.
Same thing this year, we offer 55 or chance it in the PSD.
Lets not forget this is a guy who couldn't get a game in 2011.
Other than RFC I didn't hear anyone else chasing him, so I think we had hand which we should have used.
My gut feeling is last years trade of Tambling was still in the minds of Adelaide & they felt the need for some compensation after picking up that spud from us for way too much!
The only reason I can think of for not using PSD is to not get a reputation as mercenaries, especially with free agency around the corner.
In saying that I think Adelaide have done well with this trade.

I think that 37 was probably what we had to give up, it's probably overpaying for his quality, but that's what happens when you trade for a ruck. Cameron Wood went for pick 14 right? On that comparison I reckon it's about right.

Cornholio74 said:
Being a Glenelg fan in the sanfl, I can tell you all Maric reguarly cut up our team playing for Port Magpies. We have had an excellent ruckman in the past few years and a decent team too. Many have scratched their heads wondering how Maric doesnt get a game for the Crows, I guess last year Jacobs likely kept him out.

Maric certainly won't be our saviour, but from what I have seen he will certainly give us a good contest in the ruck and is more mobile than Gus or Browney.

Buys us more time to develop Gus & Browne as well.

Sounds good to me!

Except Gus won't develop any more, he is 25. He isn't going to be getting any better.

This was an absolutely must do trade.

We had the clear worst number 1 ruckman in the AFL last year so there was no option but to bring in a more experienced ruckman over the top. The cost is irrelevant, we either get a ruckman in or continue to get beaten up at the stoppages. ALternatives to Maric were pretty thin on the ground, Seaby, Blake, that was about it. I can't see how Zac Clarke was ever an option, except through some horribly one-sided trade. He is probably a year or two away from holding down the ruck anyway.

Maric works as number 1 ruckman, at least he plays with some intensity and makes second efforts.

Had to be done. If they want to avoid this problem again, then draft another young ruckman, either with the last pick at the ND or as a rookie. We should be looking to draft another ruckman every couple of years.

Cornholio74 said:
Being a Glenelg fan in the sanfl, I can tell you all Maric reguarly cut up our team playing for Port Magpies. We have had an excellent ruckman in the past few years and a decent team too. Many have scratched their heads wondering how Maric doesnt get a game for the Crows, I guess last year Jacobs likely kept him out.

Trevor Cranston a decent ruckman? Gus Graham would tear him to shreads. The quality of ruckman in the SANFL of late is laughable.

TOT70 said:
This was an absolutely must trade.

I agree with your sentiments regarding the securing of a ruck man for the reasons you outlined in the rest of your post.
The line I've quoted is where I feel we've made a blue.
PSD should have been a real option for an out of contract player.
Desperation shouldn't cloud our vision when it comes to negotiating trades.
Same tactics as the Houli trade should have been used IMO.

Disco Stu said:
I agree with your sentiments regarding the securing of a ruck man for the reasons you outlined in the rest of your post.

I'd imagine they were. The crows wanted a first rounder/ compo we told them pick 55, then pick 37, take it or leave it.

We Offered 51 for Houli to begin with if I remeber correctly, then didn't budge on 47.

Paid spot on in this draft. Good to see we have drafted a ruckman who doesn't come with injury baggage and one who is athletic and brave.

I was frightened we were into MacIntosh and Renouf.

Harry said:
paid too much

This draft is weak,very weak,,,,

37 would have got us a very low chance of even playing first grade,player.

Now if we get a good player in the PSD,then i would argue,37 is probably cheap.

Disco Stu said:

Every year the National Draft throws up a handful of players that every club would give anything to draft. Last year most of them ended up at GC, this year it will be GWS. That is just the way it is.

Once this small pool is exhausted, it all becomes speculative. This one can’t kick, that one is too slow, the other one looks fantastic but never gets a kick. Most picks in the 20-70 range are similar. How often do better players end up on the rookie list, or not even drafted until the next year? Nobody wanted Luke Brown last year, any club could have had him with pick 1 zillion in the Rokie Draft, this year everybody wanted him.

We have to improve our list. Maric does that at reasonable cost, addressing an embarrassing weakness. It had nothing to do with looking desperate, every list manager in Australia would have understood exactly what the state or our ruck stocks was.

Use the PSD for someone else now. Picks have no intrinsic value, they are just a mechanism for getting players onto your list. I doubt that Collingwood or Hawthorn are losing sleep over not having a pick in the first round. In Collingwood’s case, that will be 4 out of the last 5 years that they have traded their first round pick to address a need. It has hardly held back their progress.

Drafts are not necessarily weak or strong, they are just an opportunity to get new players onto your list.

Not unhappy with this. We had to improve our ruck strength due to years of neglecting potential ruck stock and hopefully this deal will help out the like of Cotch and Dusty get a first shot at the ball.

TOT70 said:
This was an absolutely must do trade.

We had the clear worst number 1 ruckman in the AFL last year so there was no option but to bring in a more experienced ruckman over the top. The cost is irrelevant, we either get a ruckman in or continue to get beaten up at the stoppages. ALternatives to Maric were pretty thin on the ground, Seaby, Blake, that was about it. I can't see how Zac Clarke was ever an option, except through some horribly one-sided trade. He is probably a year or two away from holding down the ruck anyway.

Maric works as number 1 ruckman, at least he plays with some intensity and makes second efforts.

Had to be done. If they want to avoid this problem again, then draft another young ruckman, either with the last pick at the ND or as a rookie. We should be looking to draft another ruckman every couple of years.

I agree.

We filled a massive hole in our list and with some support from Vickery and Browne,we look much more potent.

I'm happy giving up the 37 pick.

Welcome to Tigerland Ivan!

Richmond have picked up 2 quality young players in Maric and Morris.

I really don't think Maric is going to offer us any real improvement in the ruck. Ah well, wait and see I guess.

Congrats big russian, welcome to the club.. Be very very careful theres doubters hunting around here :hihi

TOT70, I hear you, i just hope that we didn't get fixated on the one target.
I'd use the PSD myself for this purpose & use the ND for kids.
Comparing collingwood & hawks to us isn't really applicable though as they are completely different stages of list and success.
The fundamental difference is how much people value draft picks, to me, to give one up is the last resort.

RFC not KFC said:
If this is confirmed I'd like to nominate the nickname "Love and".

Hahaha very good mate ;D

Not confirmed yet, but sounds like we are pushing to get a pick back our way. That's kind of my hunch given Craig Cameron apparently said this morning to Hutchy and co. that a few finer details are being negotiated.