Ivan Soldo | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Ivan Soldo

St Kevin

Tiger Legend
Apr 1, 2014
Have to put my hand up, he certainly proved me wrong with how well he bounced back from the knee in terms of movement and confidence. Takes a very rare mental strength to do that.

I still don't think playing 2 ruckman and Balta forward is viable and I think there were signs of why today so hopefully I will be proven wrong again.

Balta needs to play back imo. And given how Soldo moved while up forward, no one should have any issues playing both he and Nankervis.

Reactions: 4 users

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
Balta needs to play back imo. And given how Soldo moved while up forward, no one should have any issues playing both he and Nankervis.
Couldn’t agree more. If yesterday’s game was for 4 points, Hardwick would have quickly turned to Balta to shut down one of Hawkins or Cameron.

Reactions: 2 users

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
Have to put my hand up, he certainly proved me wrong with how well he bounced back from the knee in terms of movement and confidence. Takes a very rare mental strength to do that.

I still don't think playing 2 ruckman and Balta forward is viable and I think there were signs of why today so hopefully I will be proven wrong again.
Maybe you can walk back from Perth on your hands.

• Wow
  • Haha
  • Love

jokershoppe

Tiger Champion
Feb 17, 2008

18 months since playing has him cherry ripe.

Reactions: 1 user

jokershoppe

Tiger Champion
Feb 17, 2008
Couldn’t agree more. If yesterday’s game was for 4 points, Hardwick would have quickly turned to Balta to shut down one of Hawkins or Cameron.
Agree ,and Geelong were shooting from long distances to goal while Tigers often looked for a easier shot,which was a main change we did in 2017.

Reactions: 1 users

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
you will probably be proved right (that will be a newsworthy event!), but i reckon we want our rucks to wear down the opposition, so that come the 4th quarter in a tight game Nank and Soldo are still getting up and down the field taking intercept marks, and we still have 3 marking options up front.
a praccy game wont show how valuable that is. (like it wont show the effect of one less runner in our 22)

• Love

UKTiger

Tiger Legend
Jul 11, 2010
Shipston on Stour, UK
Soldo sure can grab a ball and has a good kick on him so it does seem logical he plays ruck / resting forward and leave Balta to do his stuff in defence

• Love

jokershoppe

Tiger Champion
Feb 17, 2008
you will probably be proved right (that will be a newsworthy event!), but i reckon we want our rucks to wear down the opposition, so that come the 4th quarter in a tight game Nank and Soldo are still getting up and down the field taking intercept marks, and we still have 3 marking options up front.
a praccy game wont show how valuable that is. (like it wont show the effect of one less runner in our 22)
Spot on,in 2019, Soldo,nank were double teaming the best rucks such as natanui,Gawn,Grundy and soundly beating them.

Reactions: 1 users

RobsJourney

Tiger Cub
Sep 24, 2020
Spot on,in 2019, Soldo,nank were double teaming the best rucks such as natanui,Gawn,Grundy and soundly beating them.
Heya, sorry to chime in, but I'm not sure what you say happened at all? Happy to see stats to back you up of course.

From my memory, we were still mostly soloing Nankervis in 2019, then he copped the unlucky injury against Freo where he slipped in a boundary throw in ruck contest and missed like 2 or so months with a groin. Soldo took over and then we partnered them when Nankervis returned (was either round 23 against the Lions or the QF against the Lions).

Reactions: 1 user

Spirit of Jack

Only a Tiger premiership can make 2020 a good year
Apr 19, 2004
I'm not sure if this is common knowledge but from what I can see Soldo and Nank have only played 7 games together - for a record of 7-0. Impressive if I have this right...and a no brainer to play them together when we can. I know I love seeing them both in the side.

Reactions: 6 users

Dyer'ere

Licensed to kazoo
Sep 21, 2004
I'm a big fan of Little Ivvy's work. His confidence hasn't looked quite right to me in the two practice games. But he has been very stiff a couple of times. Shoulda been paid free or mark.

He has looked a bit tired later in the praccies.

The coach thinks Nankervis works in the marketing department. And Noah has had a stupendous preseason. I think Soldo is under pressure atm.

Interesting times.

Dont Argue

Tiger Legend
Jun 26, 2018
I'm a big fan of Little Ivvy's work. His confidence hasn't looked quite right to me in the two practice games. But he has been very stiff a couple of times. Shoulda been paid free or mark.

The coach thinks Nankervis works in the marketing department. And Noah has had a stupendous preseason. I think Soldo is under pressure atm.

Interesting times.
Interesting observation.
All I see is a hulking wilder beast roaming majestically on the open plains.

Last edited:

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007

Interesting times.
Sorry Jack. But Soldo is a lock.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Yeah, I get why they play both, it works a lot of the time and they are both good players. Soldo is an excellent shot for goal. I guess the tradeoff is you lose the run of a smaller player. We also have a tall forward line now with Balta plus one of Nando resting there.

ceehook2

Tiger Matchwinner
Feb 11, 2021
have we developed a game plan that uses both Soldo & Nank ? ( a use what you have approach )

and how will it stack up against other clubs , initally , over time ???

time will tell

I'll back in our coaching group to challenge other clubs with new styles and tactics , and to keep evolving as the opposition try to crack our code

Mycotchinrules

That's just like, your opinion, man
Mar 17, 2014
Always gonna be rusty after a year off.

He'll be fine. And will monster some inferior rucks this year