Ivan Soldo | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Ivan Soldo

Just wonder whether to find touch at vfl to get back that feeling of ball slapping into the hand again , didn’t look close to clunking a mark , if he’s to occupy a spot i50 , he needs to clunk a few

Reactions: 1 user
Went a bit too hard too early and ran out of steam. Couldn’t get to enough contests in the second half.
Play him forward in the square and get Lynch and Balta to roam and lead.
Get him giving Nanks a chop out when required.
He’ll be better for the run

I'd still love to know what was going on the couple of times he was running around like Geoff Hayward in the club, staring at seagulls while the ball was coming down next to him.
Perhaps playing under lights for the first time since 2020 may have been a factor in his timing.

Reactions: 1 users
Went a bit too hard too early and ran out of steam. Couldn’t get to enough contests in the second half.
Play him forward in the square and get Lynch and Balta to roam and lead.
Get him giving Nanks a chop out when required.
He’ll be better for the run
Watched him closely, spent a heap of time up forward. Chipped in with a handball to Bolton, but seriously he is not a forward’s small toe. If he doesn’t mark it they just run off him and we are a man short. He tried his backside off but the days of plonking a guy like him up there are done, get’s exploited. Ideal scenario is Nank 70 and Balta 30 in the ruck - previously roles played by Chol, Grigg and CCJ, all gone. Second ruck has to be more mobile and an effective forward

Reactions: 3 users
Watched him closely, spent a heap of time up forward. Chipped in with a handball to Bolton, but seriously he is not a forward’s small toe. If he doesn’t mark it they just run off him and we are a man short. He tried his backside off but the days of plonking a guy like him up there are done, get’s exploited. Ideal scenario is Nank 70 and Balta 30 in the ruck - previously roles played by Chol, Grigg and CCJ, all gone. Second ruck has to be more mobile and an effective forward
So to be clear, you want to drop him?
Won’t happen.

No it won't but I think Merv the Swerve is spot on in the assessment.

If Soldo has another week like that then it's time to go.
Not sure Nanks was much better and no one is suggesting he’s on the chopping block.
Premature assessment of Ivan after one game.
We know you’ve been sceptical about two rucks for a whilst but think you need to cool the jets as Dimma likes the set up.

So to be clear, you want to drop him?
Won’t happen.
Can’t drop the skipper! I think initially it just means more bench time, and it depends on whether Balta is needed down back or can play forward. So I am not saying drop him, there may not be a decent back up ruckman available - but I stand by the point we will be badly exposed with him, Jack and Tom in fwd line. Of course things change again with Jack out.

I'm a big fan of Little Ivvy. I think he's been off in the preseason. Looked hoppled in the few challenging moments. And not moving freely in his only AFL game this year.

Furthermore I am deeply bigoted on the topic of ACLs. ACL is greater than or equal to two years. Not less than.

Little Ivvy can play VFL for touch and confidence any time in 2022 and I will think that orthodox and realistic. And maybe he can get it together for September. Battler smalls look a lot better when they know which grass to run to. A fit Ivvy can dictate that.

Reactions: 2 users
I know I thought that kinda move went out in the 90s , rucks as kpp ,,,,, pffft

he only played about 5 mins in the last quarter. you would assume fitness was an issue.

if our system works, i think ultimately he or Nank will be up forward for about 20-30%, while one of the other talls is off.- that leaves Soldo there for 2 or 3 short bursts. i agree big slow forwards generally dont work anymore, but in those short patches it might.

Reactions: 1 users
he only played about 5 mins in the last quarter. you would assume fitness was an issue.

if our system works, i think ultimately he or Nank will be up forward for about 20-30%, while one of the other talls is off.- that leaves Soldo there for 2 or 3 short bursts. i agree big slow forwards generally dont work anymore, but in those short patches it might.
Agree I think that’s how it has worked best in the past when they both play.

Played really well, and handily beat both Flynn and Green in the ruck. When Riewoldt comes back he may come out though. We were too tall round 1.

Played really well, and handily beat both Flynn and Green in the ruck. When Riewoldt comes back he may come out though. We were too tall round 1.
Much better game. (Ditto Graham, cotch,) took advantage of the mismatch in height. And was good when the ball hit the ground. What was he thinking with the shot from beyond 50?

Little Ivvy probably cost us an extra flag and a couple of Brownlows by not being five years older.

Oh, well.