Ivan Soldo | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Ivan Soldo

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Not sure about Grundy. He looks to be breaking down and is just being held together enough to take to the field. A bit of dedicated Nank attention at the start of the much should curtail Grundy's around the ground presence

Nakkers did the business on his own against the world (with a little help from Griggs) in 2017 so he can compete with Grundy, if we come up against them. Soldo a big loss no doubt, and would have been nice for him to part of our next flag if we are so lucky as to do it again this year. He's been an absolute warrior, banged up and doing the job on his own especially when Nakkers was out. But our contested ball brigade is stepping up now with Shedda, Cotch, Bolts, Graham in fine form so we can win ball even if we lose the hit out.

And if we don't we pressure so the turn it over in the next phase anyway.

leon

Tiger Legend
Apr 6, 2014
Nakkers did the business on his own against the world (with a little help from Griggs) in 2017 so he can compete with Grundy, if we come up against them. Soldo a big loss no doubt, and would have been nice for him to part of our next flag if we are so lucky as to do it again this year. He's been an absolute warrior, banged up and doing the job on his own especially when Nakkers was out. But our contested ball brigade is stepping up now with Shedda, Cotch, Bolts, Graham in fine form so we can win ball even if we lose the hit out.

And if we don't we pressure so the turn it over in the next phase anyway.
As I have said prior, you mustn't have noticed, not sure why the concern with Grundy? So you think they will come through WCE in Perth? Or then beat Cats or PA (away) too, who they just failed to beat in QLD? Very unlikely to see the Skunks again I hope (no fear just want McChin's team to fail again).

Try getting over Lions first. McInerney actually beat even Soldo despite our victory in prior match. He will probably dominate Nank at about 6cm taller and couple of kgs heavier. Shouldn't be under-rated any more for close watchers. Then add Martin in who is a very similar CB beast like Nank but probably a slightly better athlete and (arguably) player.
Who is going to measure up as relief ruck? Probably will have to take Balta out of our backline for periods.

Sure our contested ball brigade is stepping up now but lions is comparable to at laest very competitive. Don't bet on them kicking 8.17 or whatever they did in the previous final we defeated them. Teams' accuracy really fluctuates due to pressures etc.
The key thing is not even CCs so much, although these are crucial at the Gabba as with the higher, more reliable bounce, shorter oval, good mids can driive it in deep quickly and easily or even score, but stoppages where a quality tap-out to the opposition can either create goals or prevent them. Lions will have clear advantage herein with no Soldo.

Will expand more on why they are an improved and somewhat different team to last time we played them closer to the match. First it's a wait and see re Andrews and Lynch availability being definite. Won't take a win for granted, especially with no Ivan.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
We can take no win for granted, sure.

Stef Martin was a good player, how many games has he had since coming back? He'll be a bit underdone still, but you could say the same about Nank. Nank a bit ahead of him in terms of recovery. Big risk is if Nank goes down injured for some reason.

I still see rucking battles as not so important, particularly in finals. You win the game with winning contests round the ground, efficiency and so on. Turnovers are our key winning stat.

daniel30

Tiger Superstar
Jun 14, 2010
Nank has had the wood over Martin in the past his not the worry.McInerney may be.

Reactions: 1 user

UKTiger

Tiger Legend
Jul 11, 2010
Shipston on Stour, UK
Has Ivan and Richmond launched legal proceedings against Tomohawk yet? A shock if not.
Hawkins didn't set out to destroy Ivan's knee, he went out to stop Balta with an illegal push in the back and unfortunately it had the consequence of a serious but accidental clash of knees all in the wrong place between Balta and Ivan. As much as I am spitting feathers about it I just don't see there is a case to answer - unfortunately. However in my mind I will always blame Hawkins for his actions that caused the injury and wonder if the umpires will ever be man enough to step up and sanction Hawkins for his dangerous play

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: 5 users

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Hawkins didn't set out to destroy Ivan's knee, he went out to stop Balta with an illegal push in the back and unfortunately it had the consequence of a serious but accidental clash of knees all in the wrong place between Balta and Ivan. As much as I am spitting feathers about it I just don't see there is a case to answer - unfortunately. However in my mind I will always blame Hawkins for his actions that caused the injury and wonder if the umpires will ever be man enough to step up and sanction Hawkins for his dangerous play

yeah a legal case was never going to happen.

T-Shirt Tommy

Have you got the oven on?
Apr 11, 2011
Just as Tom Hawkins won us a flag when he got suspended before the prelim last year, he might have just cost us the flag this year with his push on Soldo.

Massive, massive loss.

Reactions: 5 users

St Kevin

Tiger Legend
Apr 1, 2014
A few naysayers are now seeing this bloke's value. Streets ahead of Nankervis.

Dyer'ere

Licensed to kazoo
Sep 21, 2004
Tough to go through a finals series without our #1 ruck. (Still not convinced?)

Two years before he can resume his path.

Speedy recovery and best wishes, Little Ivvy

Reactions: 3 users

daniel30

Tiger Superstar
Jun 14, 2010
Just as Tom Hawkins won us a flag when he got suspended before the prelim last year, he might have just cost us the flag this year with his push on Soldo.

Massive, massive loss.

People may laugh he could be difference so underated.

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
I reckon we should try the first knee transplant between mabior and ivan.

Might look a bit funny, but it would be function over form

Reactions: 2 users

kiwitiger

Go the AllBlacks, the Storm , and the Tigers.
Jul 28, 2004
Losing Soldo has caused the greatest impact of all. Massive disruption to structure. Nank looked well undersized last night with zero support.

I tend to agree , his loss is underrated imo ,

I wouldn’t be bothered arguing it with a Brisbane supporter but can safely say it here ,

With him and lynch in together we become significantly stronger in the air and I honestly think we win that game last night .

Reactions: 6 users

UKTiger

Tiger Legend
Jul 11, 2010
Shipston on Stour, UK
Need to find a ruckman in the off season to replace this man next year.
I am sure many of the posters here know of an available ruck journeymen of the Bellchambers type looking for a 1 year contract whilst we wait for Soldo to heal. We can't just rely on Nanks and maybe CCJ assuming he is not moved on. We know that the unpredictable Chol is not the man to fill the job so a ruckman is an urgent need