Jack Riewoldt [Merged] | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Jack Riewoldt [Merged]

NZtiger

Tiger Matchwinner
Mar 1, 2008
Wellington
I think the reason why I do worry about Jack's longevity in the game, is because his game, and his ability to be an effective forward is mostly based around his athleticism. As a key forward, the majority of his contested marking has been through his athletic abilities in the air, as compared to out-muscling his direct opponents. That's never been his strength. Jack isn't a monster key forward type who you can just plonk in the goal square and expect him to over-power his opponents. It is this reason I think guys like Hawkins will likely still be effective well into his 30s, as he is that type of player. Hawkins doesn't rely on his athletic ability in the air in order to be effective. With age, his strength won't decline, but Jack's ability keep being effective in the air will.

Yes he is a smart footballer who will still have a role to play next year and possibly beyond, but you can only go so far playing that 'decoy' role for Lynch, if opposing teams no longer see you as any threat as an effective forward yourself.

I'm happy to be proven wrong, but from what I've seen this year, it hasn't looked great for Jack. He has routinely been outmarked, and out-muscled by guys who wouldn't be fit to hold his water bottle in his prime a few years back.

If he is struggling mid-way through next year after a full (fingers crossed) pre-season, then there is cause for concern. He is still getting back into the swing of things after spending a lot of time on the treatment table this year.

Reactions: 1 user

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Been well below his best since returning but had a serious injury. After never missing more than two matches, he played one game in three and a half months.

Hopefully he can contribute on Saturday, and he'll be better next year.

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
He just needs to kick the goals when he gets the opportunity. He missed a couple of absolute blobs in the PF. Not sure we'll get away with it in the GF.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
He just needs to kick the goals when he gets the opportunity. He missed a couple of absolute blobs in the PF. Not sure we'll get away with it in the GF.

He missed a few in 2017, but he was on form. The two big marks he took, start of 1st and start of 3rd signalled that Jack was on. Took a while for him to convert but he was instrumental in the win.

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
If he kicked 2 of those set shots.
This wouldnt even be a issue.
The media is flk.
Go back 3 weeks ago
He bent Brisbane over.

Reactions: 2 users

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
Half the the top players in the comp dont get 5 scoring attempts in a normal game let alone in a preliminary final.

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
OMG I hope so. That was worst game I reckon Ive ever seen him play. You had to be at the game to see how truly terrible it was. He was slow, tentative, unreactive. Totally devoid of confidence. Even when he had open opportunities he continually tried to knock the ball on .

Man I hope it turns out he had the flu or something.

Needs to lift massively or Howe will give him an absolute bath.
Howe wont get a kick on Saturday.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

The Mole

Tiger Champion
Apr 1, 2003
OMG I hope so. That was worst game I reckon Ive ever seen him play. You had to be at the game to see how truly terrible it was. He was slow, tentative, unreactive. Totally devoid of confidence. Even when he had open opportunities he continually tried to knock the ball on .

Man I hope it turns out he had the flu or something.

Needs to lift massively or Howe will give him an absolute bath.
I heard he was a little "under the weather" which I took to mean a virus.

MalenyTiger

Tiger Superstar
Jan 27, 2005
He's still the smartest footballer in the comp by a country mile so even when down finds ways to bring others into the game.

The_General

It's been a very hard working from home
Staff member
May 4, 2004
He said after the game (quite surprisingly) that he wasn't able to get his body going the way he wanted it to after missing so much football. I'm hoping he was setting a trap for GWS to take him easy, because if I was a defender, I'd be rubbing my hands in glee with what (I heard) he said.

I don't think he's finished as a footballer, far from it. He doesn't have to be strong, he just has to be strong enough to let his brains/smarts be his strength. Holding his defender in a position so he can pivot/flip/roll back, protect the fall of the ball, whatever it happens to be. He is smarter than 98% of the defenders in the league I think. Those who beat him generally do it with greater athleticism. Now he's our 2nd foil to Lynch, we should hopefully be extending his career and making his strengths more significant.

TigerPort

Tiger Champion
Jun 29, 2006
NSW
Over time the thing I have learnt is to never write a champion player off after one poor performance.

All the press is on Lynch and how he will star. Perfect scenario for Jack to work some magic.

GWS will pay if they take Jack easy.

Reactions: 5 users

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
Over time the thing I have learnt is to never write a champion player off after one poor performance.

All the press is on Lynch and how he will star. Perfect scenario for Jack to work some magic.

Never retreat
Never surrender
Bruce chuck jack

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne

Was the scenario last time we played them.

Jack tore them a new one in the first half.

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
I actually didn't think Jack was all that bad as has been said by some.
Had some incredible assists & with better conversion He would have been fine.
He'll be better this week.

Reactions: 2 users

Bullarto Tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 17, 2012
Loved the article in this evening's edition of The Age where JR8 said: "I'd be sad if we lost, disappointed, and rapt if we won. But I also, just love the journey of this year and what it is and I've loved the relationships and loved spending time with guys here I'm playing footy with. We just love spending time with each other, and we probably play like that."

Says so much about the culture of this team and what it's about to be a Richmond Man.

Reactions: 8 users

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Loved the article in this evening's edition of The Age where JR8 said: "I'd be sad if we lost, disappointed, and rapt if we won. But I also, just love the journey of this year and what it is and I've loved the relationships and loved spending time with guys here I'm playing footy with. We just love spending time with each other, and we probably play like that."

Says so much about the culture of this team and what it's about to be a Richmond Man.

That's the mindfulness thing at work. It was played up after the 2017 GF, but listening to Hardwick and the players talk in the media since then gives the impression that it really has been integral to our success.

Living in the moment results in less worrying and a happier club. Maybe we can change the theme song.

We're a happy team at Richmond...

• Haha

kiwitiger

Go the AllBlacks, the Storm , and the Tigers.
Jul 28, 2004
We really need Jack to fire this week , with Davies not 100% and tom and Jack both firing , you would think it might be too much for them