Jack Riewoldt [Merged] | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Jack Riewoldt [Merged]

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
I am with those who say, "It's your job, go do your job," but I also appreciate that our success has largely come from having fun and remembering it is just a game. It's a terrible situation all round and everyone is entitled to feel how they feel, especially in their initial raw reactions. Jack is a competitive beast and no longer a self-centred, petulant young man. I will back him in to absorb the new reality and lead the team with gusto.

Reactions: 1 user

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
He's gone to Qld, he'll captain the side. what else do people want?

Reactions: 1 users

22nd Man

Tiger Legend
Aug 29, 2011
Essex Heights
Seriously?? He is acting like a normal human. 30 days has become 6 weeks at a minimum, in reality the players probably won’t be back in Victoria until September.
Have u ever been seperated from your pregnant wife for 6 weeks?
My parents went to London in the early 50s to progress my fathers career. Whilst there my mother conceived . As UK was still in post war deprivations mum left London and returned to Sydney by ship three months before she was due. She returned to London when my brother was 6 months old when my father saw his first born for the first time other than by photo.
Jack is 2 hours away from reuniting with his family.
His concern isn't impacting his enthusiasm for media appearances. I still have faith that it won't impact his football obligations. If he feels it will, as a professional and a team leader, he should stand down.

Interesting that players have difficulty seeing footy as nothing more than a game. Where do they think the 10k a week that lobs into their bank account comes from?

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
That attitude of footy is just a game won us 2 premierships. Don't lose it.

Reactions: 2 users

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
Gotta say I find it bemusing how both and Treloar are questioning themselves and why they have left their families just to go and play a game. I guess it is a game but it is also their job; you know the thing they get paid very handsomely and are very privileged to do. Seems a bit petulant to me. It’s almost like no one ever in the history of the universe has ever had to travel away for work.

It’s not ideal but some sacrifice is required for the overall good of the game. If it doesn’t happen the competition and many of it’s clubs will be in even more serious trouble than they already are.

That said the lockdown will be difficult for his wife; no doubt. It’s going to be difficult for millions of people. Sad state of affairs.

Yeh, everyone is different. But think about those that travel/travelled for work and didn't have zoom, facetime, texting etc to stay in contact. My wifes grandad spent 2 years in Aust working saving enough money to pay for his family to come out from Europe. In that time he did not have one conversation with his wife or children, all correspondence by mail. After 2 years of saving he paid for them to spend 6 weeks on a boat to get to Melb.

I know it was different times and difficult to relate to such challenges but too many fail to be grateful for the privleges & opportunities we enjoy.

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
Have u ever been seperated from your pregnant wife for 6 weeks?

Yeh, who'd want that.
I mean 6 weeks of avoiding the worst of Melb winter instead enjoying average temp around the 20-22 degrees
6 weeks of no interrupted sleep from the multiple toilet vists a night
6 weeks of not having to give foot rubs, back rubs, shoulder rubs etc all the whilst getting zilch in return
6 weeks of not having to duck out for ice cream/insert preferred food craving at any hour

It would be a struggle but I'm sure you could do a nice 30 minute zoom or facetime around 9.30pm and then settle in to some netflix or foxtel followed by a solid 7-8 hour sleep.

• Love

Ghost of 29

Handball - its just a fad!!
Aug 16, 2008
Yeh, who'd want that.
I mean 6 weeks of avoiding the worst of Melb winter instead enjoying average temp around the 20-22 degrees
6 weeks of not having to give foot rubs, back rubs, shoulder rubs etc all the whilst getting zilch in return
6 weeks of not having to duck out for ice cream/insert preferred food craving at any hour

It would be a struggle but I'm sure you could do a nice 30 minute zoom or facetime around 9.30pm and then settle in to some netflix or foxtel followed by a solid 7-8 hour sleep.
Maybe his wife and daughter mean a bit more to him than having to give foot rubs.

King Kong

Tiger Legend
Aug 26, 2016
Jack needs to understnad he is part of a team and it isn’t always about him. One day in and he is already making it all about him. Team is stuffed if this is the sort of leadership he is going to provide.

People all over the world have to do this all the time to provide for their families. Jack has no perspective, no appreciation for what the real world is like and comes across as a sook

• Angry

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
Yeh, everyone is different. But think about those that travel/travelled for work and didn't have zoom, facetime, texting etc to stay in contact. My wifes grandad spent 2 years in Aust working saving enough money to pay for his family to come out from Europe. In that time he did not have one conversation with his wife or children, all correspondence by mail. After 2 years of saving he paid for them to spend 6 weeks on a boat to get to Melb.

I know it was different times and difficult to relate to such challenges but too many fail to be grateful for the privleges & opportunities we enjoy.

Yeah people really have no idea how good they have it these days. We are extremely lucky in comparison with previous generations. As we should be; the goal of society should be to continually improve the lives of its citizens. That doesn't work for all countries but I genuinely believe Australia is the best and luckiest country in the world. We are blessed to live here and the citizens should never forget that.

I consider myself extremely lucky when I consider my upbringing compared to my mum's. She was born on a farm in the middle of WWII. The oldest of 9 kids and spent a great portion of her childhood cooking and cleaning for the family as her mother was so often pregnant. No worries just do it. I grew up in suburban Melbourne; not rich but not poor. Didn't have everything we wanted but had everything we needed. Compared to others that is blessed.

We live in a great country. We should not take it for granted. That is by no means to say Australia is perfect; of course there are things that can be improved. It's a work in progress but I would not be anywhere else for quids. If we all do the right thing we will get through this. All the best everyone.

Reactions: 4 users

King Kong

Tiger Legend
Aug 26, 2016
Yeh, who'd want that.

If he was so worried anout missing his wife and daughter why didn’t he take them with him

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
Smart play by Jack. He knows his wife will be watching 360.

• Haha

marella jube

Tiger Champion
Jul 27, 2004
I'd like the club get dispensation for JR's wife + join club hub else JR will be kicking stones the whole stay.

BrisTiger24

Out: Chimp In: Camel
Oct 16, 2003
Brisbane
Smart play by Jack. He knows his wife will be watching 360.

Ah yeah. Good point.

Kermit: Jack, thanks for your time, good luck for the week ahead

Jack (with apparent depression): Thanks Gerard

Next minute: nudey runs down the fairway of the golf course

• Haha

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
I had to get up in the morning at ten o'clock at night half an hour before I went to bed, drink a cup of sulphuric acid, work twenty-nine hours a day down mill, and pay mill owner for permission to come to work, and when we got home, our Dad and our mother would kill us and dance about on our graves singing Hallelujah.

And you try and tell the young people of today that ... they won't believe you.

• Haha
Reactions: 8 users

Gazmatron

Tiger Matchwinner
Jun 23, 2013
I had to get up in the morning at ten o'clock at night half an hour before I went to bed, drink a cup of sulphuric acid, work twenty-nine hours a day down mill, and pay mill owner for permission to come to work, and when we got home, our Dad and our mother would kill us and dance about on our graves singing Hallelujah.

And you try and tell the young people of today that ... they won't believe you.
Yeah Spook. There are at least 1000 Police and ADF people down on the border given possibly 24 hrs notice many leaving families behind for an indefinite period. Did 25 years Reg Army went where I was ordered occasionally without family. Kids had no say changing schools.