Jack Riewoldt [Merged] | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Jack Riewoldt [Merged]

King Kong

Tiger Legend
Aug 26, 2016
I'd like the club get dispensation for JR's wife + join club hub else JR will be kicking stones the whole stay.

The alternative option and arguably better one is to send Jack back to Melbourne for the next 6 weeks. He can train with Shedda and Bachar and wait for the season to be cancelled

Gazmatron

Tiger Matchwinner
Jun 23, 2013
The alternative option and arguably better one is to send Jack back to Melbourne for the next 6 weeks. He can train with Shedda and Bachar and wait for the season to be cancelled
No good option here. Wife goes up she goes into 14 days isolation if JR goes with her he misses at leat 2 games as he will be in isolation as well. He goes home sends an awful message. How many players from other clubs did not go north?

bob

Tiger Superstar
Mar 18, 2014
You guys are an absolute disgrace. Rather than spread your toxicity, listen and learn to Gerard Whately's editorial from this morning.

Jack Riewoldt bleeds Richmond. He took a pay cut to get Tom Lynch in. He carried the forward line for years. Every year, every interview, every time, he talks up our Members and our Club. He answers honestly and said nothing apart from its a challenge. And you all jump on him. You are truly an embarassment as Members.

• Love
Reactions: 17 users

theglove3

Tiger Champion
Jun 3, 2003
Must be good coin to continually have to face Wankeley and Blobbo in the studio every week.
I think their dials helped coin the phrase: A good head for Radio!

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
I didn't listen to radio today, apparently jack got whacked for sooking about going into the hubba bubba.
Pinocchio backed him up

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
I watched both the guys on AFL 360 last night and I felt sorry them.

They are clearly in a tough position mentally, but I think it is as much to do with the lifestyles they lead as anything else.

Successful professional sportspeople and AFL players in particular, lead the most amazing lives you can imagine. Yes there are sacrifices, physical demands, pressure, scrutiny and other drawbacks, but by and large they are very, very comfortable.

Guys like Jack that are 30 odd year old young fathers have lived very easy lives in comparison to most and whilst they are resilient in physical matters they are highly immature, inexperienced and disconnected when it comes to the difficulties in life that most people face.

When you are in that boat being away from your family for 30 odd days becomes a big deal when the reality is, it isn't. In the grand scheme of life, even with a pandemic, it is a very minor inconvenience, very manageable and a tiny piece of hardship compared to the perks of the lifestyle.

I've lived on the periphery of professional sport for almost 20 years now. Putting aside the financial rewards, which are huge, the other fringe benefits alone are remarkable.

I haven't paid for almost any clothes in that time for me and often my family, I've driven new cars for the past 10 years without ever paying a cent in purchase or running costs, never paid a phone bill, my work days involve at least two free meals and usually the opportunity to take meals home at the end of the day and my work days and hours are intense but much shorter than most.

If I don't drop my kids off at school I can pick them up most times, I've had access to all sorts of concerts, sporting events, golf courses, restaurants and other cool stuff all over the world and almost never paid a cent.

I'm not saying that stuff to big note or be a flog, I'm saying that if that is my life as a nobody, imagine what it looks like for a somebody.

The 'tax' I've paid on that has included long stints based permanently overseas, spending almost 8 years working away from home in Australia and overseas for long periods and for four of those years I had children. Deciding to 'settle' and take work in Australia only with a permanent base has still meant three moves to three different states in 10 years. I missed large chunks of time with my kids when they were in there first few years and my wife did a lot of single parenting in those years.

It was hard at times, for her more than me, but at the end of the day it was worth it. Absolutely 100% worth it.

The AFL guys have had all of the amazing stuff, but compared to most sportspeople they haven't paid much 'tax'. Without being flippant and putting aside physical issues, a bad week for Jack Riewoldt last year would have been if it rained on his day off and ruined his game of golf, for which he wouldn't pay membership and would use the very best in equipment, again for free.

I've been in a hub. I've seen my child have to cancel their birthday party because AFL protocols meant they couldn't have guests in a house that I lived in. I've felt the jab each day when they ask when I'm going to be home.

Yes it is hard on some level but when you look at it through the perspective of what is actually hard in life and what rewards you reap compared to the difficulties you face, it really isn't hard at all. If you tried to tell most people in the real world that you were shattered to be heading to Queensland to work for a month without your family they would laugh at you.

I feel sorry for the guys in the hub but I also recognise that their emotion is more to due with their lack of real world experience, than any actual hardship.
Ricky Gervais needs to host the Brownlow.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

123cups

Tiger Champion
May 1, 2016
I have absolutely no idea what is said in the media outside the posts in this thread, but it’s basic common sense that Jack is the legend who kicked 5 goals in a Grand Final about 5 games ago... and won a Coleman and B&F on top of the ladder just 1 year before that.

A premiership vice captain in his prime didn’t dominate in the first couple of matches with new rules in a pandemic.

So what..?

Clickbait talkshows will say anything for ratings, they love a good roller coaster story - “he should retire. No wait he’s back! Actually he’s gone. He’s back! Okay now he’s gone. And he’s back again! But should he go on?” Rinse and repeat.

Jack clearly has the fire to will the team to victory. You can see it in the way he attacks the contest. But he usually kicks a huge bag when the media gets a little too crazy, so hopefully they keep it up!

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
We’ll see all kinds of strange statistics in a pandemic season with shortened games.

True. Agree that he's looked focused the past couple of weeks, but it's not quite happening for him. He seems a lot less likely to win contests that are 50/50 or worse, and isn't completing marks after getting first hands on the ball.

He's in a prolonged, un-Jack-like slump and unless it ends soon we'll need to allow for the fact that his best is behind him.

Coburgtiger

Tiger Legend
May 7, 2012
Who gives a stuff - embrace or don't go. He shouldn't play because he's acting like a child. He is acting like a complete amateur. He actually referred to his wife being a single parent FFS? He's on a work trip for a month. He is mentally shot.

I can't imagine how hard it would be to leave an infant and pregnant wife at home right now. Particularly when she's locked down, her mental state would be a real concern for him. It's not just a regular work trip for a month. It's a month where she will get no respite from baby, no mothers group, no trips to the cafe to meet friends, no family visits. She'll have to do the weekly shop on her own, dragging around an infant, dealing with morning sickness, and trying to sanitise hands and protect herself and her babies.

Jack must be feeling a tremendous amount of guilt that he's in sunny Queensland.

I'm not sure I would have gone in his position.

I've never really felt a great amount of sympathy for an AFL player before over work demands, given their privilege, but I definitely do here. This is unprecedented.

Last edited:
Reactions: 9 users

King Kong

Tiger Legend
Aug 26, 2016
Hosting a new weekly Tigers show on SEN from Monday.

Another questionable decision. At a time when he should be focussing on the club, his teammates and most importantly his poor form he increases his media commitments. Strange move

King Kong

Tiger Legend
Aug 26, 2016
You guys are an absolute disgrace. Rather than spread your toxicity, listen and learn to Gerard Whately's editorial from this morning.

Jack Riewoldt bleeds Richmond. He took a pay cut to get Tom Lynch in. He carried the forward line for years. Every year, every interview, every time, he talks up our Members and our Club. He answers honestly and said nothing apart from its a challenge. And you all jump on him. You are truly an embarassment as Members.

He also lives in a mansion in Brighton and is likely to be in a position where he never has to work again after his football career ends. He can thank the RFC and its members for that. Its a 2 way street.

Coburgtiger

Tiger Legend
May 7, 2012
Yeh, who'd want that.
I mean 6 weeks of avoiding the worst of Melb winter instead enjoying average temp around the 20-22 degrees
6 weeks of no interrupted sleep from the multiple toilet vists a night
6 weeks of not having to give foot rubs, back rubs, shoulder rubs etc all the whilst getting zilch in return
6 weeks of not having to duck out for ice cream/insert preferred food craving at any hour

It would be a struggle but I'm sure you could do a nice 30 minute zoom or facetime around 9.30pm and then settle in to some netflix or foxtel followed by a solid 7-8 hour sleep.

Jeez it would take a complete lack of empathy and a pretty ordinary person to not feel down right terrible about having all that while your partner is dealing with one of the most difficult periods in their lives with minimal support.

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
Good on Jack for continuing to front up and present, both on the field and on media street.

And i would like to thank him for 2 glorious,magnificent and utterly breathtaking premiership cups.

Reactions: 6 users

King Kong

Tiger Legend
Aug 26, 2016
I can't imagine how hard it would be to leave an infant and pregnant wife at home right now. Particularly when she's locked down, her mental state would be a real concern for him. It's not just a regular work trip for a month. It's a month where she will get no respite from baby, no mothers group, no trips to the cafe to meet friends, no family visits. She'll have to do the weekly shop on her own, dragging around an infant, dealing with morning sickness, and trying to sanitise hands and protect herself and her babies.

Jack must be feeling a tremendous amount of guilt that he's on sunny Queensland.

I'm not sure I would have gone in his position.

Cotchin's family is there so he would have had the option to bring them with. Seems strange not to take them if that's how he feels.