Jack Riewoldt [Merged] | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Jack Riewoldt [Merged]

Interesting to see how Jack goes this week, assuming he gets Davis. The GF was the one good game out of his last nine, when Davis shouldn't have been playing. (Will concede his good start against Carlton.)
Think you got your question answered. But Jack won't be dropped so we live or die according to whether he returns to form.

Hope I'm wrong, but would think JR would retire at seasons end.

Only a shadow of his years gone by. Seems to have lost his leap and is fumbling like never before.

Plus, his goal kicking is not that good anymore either, except for around the bend shots.
Reckon Jack would want to go out with a bang.
One more year and a sellout MCG farewell beckons.

Think you got your question answered. But Jack won't be dropped so we live or die according to whether he returns to form.

I think Dimma has accepted this and has Jack playing a different role, more like the one Knights wanted Lloyd to play before he retired out of spite. Neither he nor Lynch looks like taking a contested mark with our setup the way it is.

Have a look at Kennedy, 108 years old and he slapped the *smile* out of the 'so called' best defence in the comp.
While we watch Riewoldt trail behind in every contest. Gets outmarked, Can't jump, cant defend and even worse can't kick.
Its time to give him some time off.

I thought he played alright? Nearly got us back into it at the end.

He seems to come into games more at the end. I think these shortened quarters have hurt us more than anyone.

Reactions: 1 users
Jack is really out of form ATM and needs a rest to get his mind right for footy

A dropping "rest" would do him some good for sure - just not this week. He has goals on the board against the dogs. We really need to make sure we surround him and Lynch with nothing but chasing speedsters that are 100% committed to chasing to make sure they do not pull our pants down on the rebound.

Jack and Lynch are having a tough time for a few reasons. We send a forward up into the midfield and that allows teams to have a +1 in our forward line. Behind the goals vision the other night showed Haynes standing a couple of metres in front of Lynch and Keefe. Then Jack would come to stand with Haynes, bringing Davis with him. So we had a 2-on-3, against one of the best key defenders in the comp, one of the best intercept markers, and a man-mountain. (Edit: and given how slowly we brought it in, often a ruckman as well.) Keefe did well to use his size to body Lynch under the ball several times.

Teams flooding exacerbates this problem, and it's all compounded by our lack of quick, clean, midfield transition and poor delivery inside 50.

I reckon Jack's been incrementally improving from week to week for a month now, but as someone else said, Plugger and Carey would have a tough time getting a kick in our forward line at present.

(Plugger would maim a few and have them reconsidering flooding into the hole.)

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Jack and Lynch are having a tough time for a few reasons. We send a forward up into the midfield and that allows teams to have a +1 in our forward line. Behind the goals vision the other night showed Haynes standing a couple of metres in front of Lynch and Keefe. Then Jack would come to stand with Haynes, bringing Davis with him. So we had a 2-on-3, against one of the best key defenders in the comp, one of the best intercept markers, and a man-mountain. (Edit: and given how slowly we brought it in, often a ruckman as well.) Keefe did well to use his size to body Lynch under the ball several times.

Teams flooding exacerbates this problem, and it's all compounded by our lack of quick, clean, midfield transition and poor delivery inside 50.

I reckon Jack's been incrementally improving from week to week for a month now, but as someone else said, Plugger and Carey would have a tough time getting a kick in our forward line at present.

(Plugger would maim a few and have them reconsidering flooding into the hole.)
Yep, sound analysis but this has been standard practice for a long time with nearly all AFL teams using an outnumber down back or in the midfield. So, if you want to beat it, play 6 forwards. But then you have to equalise in the midfield. But we won't because it's depleted atm without Cotch and Prestia (Caddy too). Even if our mids were full strength, Dimma prefers to play this way tactically, with an extra mid.

So there's a lack of faith in our mids to succeed if equal? Either way, it's a stalemate if your FL cannot succeed using this strategy. Especially one that seems to have lost it's strengths - contested marks and SF pressure and capitalising on opposition errors.
Obviously opposing strategy teams know exactly what we try to do and have counteracted it effectively. Poor form from Rioli and Castagna, alongside KFs is compounding the issue. Hiiggins lacks the speed, crumbing and kicking abilities of Butler. No-one can kick straight any more.

Over to you, Dimma. What's your circuit breaker? Maybe someone who can take a mark and kick a goal, read the ball off the packs and position themselves in optimal offensive position. [See T. Greene]

Reactions: 1 user
Forward line is a mess. Everyone is underperforming. If there was a semblance of a plan we would have adjusted by now and that has not occurred.

Previously one short in the forward line with speedsters everywhere has not been shown to fail.
Now with a slower Riewoldt, Lynch recovering, and a perennially slow Higgins plus Aarts, and with Bolton now needed in the midfield,- both Rioli and Jack are found out.
This failure to adjust makes Jack look particularly lost because unlike Rioli he has actually slowed, and can’t manage separation now, which has always been a key to his success.
They won’t sack McWalter. And they probably won’t rest Jack, who I think is contracted for 2021?

The road to oblivion.

I would bring Markov in to play half forward. We need some pace in our forward half - so I would bring him in and drop Higgins/Aarts to do so (Aarts is my choice as I just dont see it with him).

I dont know if kicking behinds can be attributed to structure, tactics or roads to oblivion.

My take is its *smile* kicking.

Yep, sound analysis but this has been standard practice for a long time with nearly all AFL teams using an outnumber down back or in the midfield. So, if you want to beat it, play 6 forwards. But then you have to equalise in the midfield. But we won't because it's depleted atm without Cotch and Prestia (Caddy too). Even if our mids were full strength, Dimma prefers to play this way tactically, with an extra mid.

So there's a lack of faith in our mids to succeed if equal? Either way, it's a stalemate if your FL cannot succeed using this strategy. Especially one that seems to have lost it's strengths - contested marks and SF pressure and capitalising on opposition errors.
Obviously opposing strategy teams know exactly what we try to do and have counteracted it effectively. Poor form from Rioli and Castagna, alongside KFs is compounding the issue. Hiiggins lacks the speed, crumbing and kicking abilities of Butler. No-one can kick straight any more.

Over to you, Dimma. What's your circuit breaker? Maybe someone who can take a mark and kick a goal, read the ball off the packs and position themselves in optimal offensive position. [See T. Greene]
We have beaten the outnumber in our forward line by slicing teams up through the middle. This doesn't allow any extras to get back, and especially with the turnover game, catches defenders out of position, thus creating space for forwards. It's not about a lack of faith in our mids, it's that having an extra there helps us swarm on defence to create the turnover, and spread the ball like lightning when we're off to the races.

Everything stems from ball movement. When we're slowed up, our forward line is clogged and our forwards look slow and unable to jump (defences are also blocking Lynch very effectively). When we have quick movement through the middle, there is space for the likes of George to be hit-up or drop into holes (he's great at this). He can do what you're saying about Greene, he's just not as classy obviously and doesn't finish nearly as well.

Our small forwards bar George do seem to be lacking zip, especially with Shai in the midfield. I've expressed my concerns re Higgo and Aarts being too slow for the role, and yes, we all wish we could hot-tub time machine Dan Butler back into the squad. But he wasn't getting a game (and when he did he was poor), and is now on probably twice as much money at St Kilda. When you have two players on a mil it's impossible to keep everyone.

An option could be to throw Baker up there, but I think he's short a yard as well, and is doing so well down back I'd be reluctant to shift him.

Stack is the one. Get him back to the form of his first few weeks post-bye last year and he transforms us.

Jack's never been quick. I don't think that's the issue.

Forward line is a mess. Everyone is underperforming. If there was a semblance of a plan we would have adjusted by now and that has not occurred.

Previously one short in the forward line with speedsters everywhere has not been shown to fail.
Now with a slower Riewoldt, Lynch recovering, and a perennially slow Higgins plus Aarts, and with Bolton now needed in the midfield,- both Rioli and Jack are found out.
This failure to adjust makes Jack look particularly lost because unlike Rioli he has actually slowed, and can’t manage separation now, which has always been a key to his success.
They won’t sack McWalter. And they probably won’t rest Jack, who I think is contracted for 2021?

The road to oblivion.

When 'everyone' is under-performing - it means your problem is systematic, not individual. They will need to change something before it changes, floods don't just 'go away'.

It’s our slow , indecisive ball movement.

If we moved the ball on quicker it may help the form of Jack & Lynch.

I wish Lynch would get the frees others get as he gets blocked a lot.

Jack is struggling. He is giving away free kicks from frustration or from too , illegal tactics and pleading for frees too!

Don’t know what are smalls are doing but they are no where to be seen once the ball hits the deck to crumb a goal or to apply our trademark pressure.

All round our forward game is kaka and it’s not all our forwards fault.

I hope Damien & his staff have been working on quicker ball movement, isolating Jack & Lynch (not competing) and possibly looking at playing the great man deep forward one out as he did in the final against the Lions..

Got to have separation of our forwards to allow them to be more effective and dangerous.

Last edited: