Jack Riewoldt [Merged] | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Jack Riewoldt [Merged]

VFL Park was a victim of 2 things:
Location, which was crap, they should have built it much closer to the city and near a railway line. The notion a freeway was enough to get 150,000 people in and out was a silly notion even in the late 60s, we're still paying for the same mistake with Tullamarine Airport. Also didn't help that it was built on top of a hill in a colder and rainier part of Melbourne.
Architecture, it was a badly designed ground but more a victim of it's time than anything else. After the huge crowds at the Grand Finals in the late 60s and early 70s they were looking for a bigger venue, they would get 150k to a Grand Final too. But it was designed in such a way that you were miles from the action. The playing surface was huge, the distance from the boundary to the fence was huge and the stands were set back from the playing area. All round a bad design.

VFL Park was a good idea but badly implemented, fitting 150k in a ground is tricky and even now with the reduced capacity at the MCG those seats at the top of the Southern stand are a hell of a long way from the action. I would go for more standing room in finals but with lower density than we used to have back in the 1970s.

Docklands was also a decent idea. Great location (MCG is far more convenient for me but, let's face it, right next to the city and next to a very large railway station, hard to fault that), second ground but not enormous as we only really need 1 ground with 100k capacity. But the place is soulless. There's something wrong with that ground and I'm not sure I know what. The way they have to close the roof because of sun glare is inexcusable, we know where the sun will be and they should have sorted this in the design stage. Not sure what you do about Docklands, there must be a way to alter the design to give it more atmosphere.

Anyway, back to Jack discussion.

DS

Good summation D. It was always slightly weird going to V Park. That monochrome big screen. Feeling like you were in the Dandenongs. Always cold. I remember the gravel outside the stands and playing kick to kick there at half time.

was at vfl park as a kid when Dunstall kicked 17 and remember hanging around with some mates till everyone left including the cleaners and helping ourselves to boxes of chips and chocolates left lying around. then had to jump the fence to get out. can't do that at the dome.

Reactions: 5 users
was at vfl park as a kid when Dunstall kicked 17 and remember hanging around with some mates till everyone left including the cleaners and helping ourselves to boxes of chips and chocolates left lying around. then had to jump the fence to get out. can't do that at the dome.
Geez you're a young buck Horatio. I was well into my 20s at the time of that infamous event.

Redford was well into his 50s.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Good summation D. It was always slightly weird going to V Park. That monochrome big screen. Feeling like you were in the Dandenongs. Always cold. I remember the gravel outside the stands and playing kick to kick there at half time.

Monochrome screen? What I remember is the scoreboard with electronic numbers. Not sure I went there very often when it had a screen.

DS

Monochrome screen? What I remember is the scoreboard with electronic numbers. Not sure I went there very often when it had a screen.

DS
Do you mean this?

footy-inquest-colour-cropped.jpg

I can't remember that screen. It was always like this in my time:

vfl-park-1982-scoreboard-without-footy.jpg

I can't remember that screen. It was always like this in my time:

vfl-park-1982-scoreboard-without-footy.jpg

The second one, it's monochrome. "Mono" meaning one and "chrome" meaning colour, in this case yellow.

Old computer screens used to be monochrome too - here's a green one. It has one colour, green, and the other pixels are off, which looks black. Monochrome.

maxresdefault.jpg

Yeah, I certainly don’t recall Waverley looking like that first pic.
Here's another from the WSC era

world-series.jpg

The sepia tone scoreboard didn't come in until 1982, according to Wiki (same year as the the MCG Diamond Vision scoreboard). Not sure if that's accurate but if so, I must've been to a couple of dozen games with this scoreboard, including two finals each in 1977 and 1980.

I was there that day, too. There was this weird feeling of wanting to see him break the record and be there to see it, but at the same time not wanting to see him get it, because it would be against us. I didn’t mind Arctic Park, but geez it used to get cold there.

Reactions: 1 users
The second one, it's monochrome. "Mono" meaning one and "chrome" meaning colour, in this case yellow.

Old computer screens used to be monochrome too - here's a green one. It has one colour, green, and the other pixels are off, which looks black. Monochrome.

maxresdefault.jpg
I think "sepia tone" is the correct term, like old photographs. Its grainy video had different shades.

32d19f4f0b04645ab8bfb85ae9769062

Sepia is one colour, hence monochrome. It's just they used brighter or darker pixels to get shading. "Sepia-tone" was marketing speak for monochrome.

In 1982, a monochrome video matrix scoreboard was installed, for the first time in VFL history, displaying instant replay highlights. In 1984, the arena was re-turfed and the drainage system upgraded.

And this

Monochrome photography is photography where each position on an image can record and show a different amount of light, but not a different hue. It includes all forms of black-and-white photography, which produce images containing shades of neutral grey ranging from black to white.[1] Other hues besides grey, such as sepia, cyan, or brown can also be used in monochrome photography.[2] In the contemporary world, monochrome photography is mostly used for artistic purposes and certain technical imaging applications, rather than for visually accurate reproduction of scenes.

Anyway the VFL park scoreboard hill is not a hill I want to die on so if you want to disagree that it's fancy monochrome, go for it.

I was there that day, too. There was this weird feeling of wanting to see him break the record and be there to see it, but at the same time not wanting to see him get it, because it would be against us. I didn’t mind Arctic Park, but geez it used to get cold there.
The umpires wanted to be part of history too. Ball on the wing, whistle, free kick to Dunstall in the square. He got 5 from free kicks.

Classic VFL park, it was always windy, if the sun was out you couldn’t see from one wing and when it rained it poured.

The car park was a mud pit with random lakes and getting out was a nightmare.

But it still somehow had more soul than Docklands.

The Big V Screen is the one I remember. BTW - In screen terms, the VFL Park one was Amber. Amber, Green, White were the colour choices you had in screens back then.

If I remember correctly, Waverley had the first Video Scoreboard in Australia.

I used to sell drinks, lollies, chocolates, peanuts and potato chips at Waverley during footy season.

The Big V Screen is the one I remember. BTW - In screen terms, the VFL Park one was Amber. Amber, Green, White were the colour choices you had in screens back then.
I remember the amber BBC monitors in the high school computer lab. Spent lots of time there teaching myself to code while managing to fail Year 10 Computing. :confused:

I remember the amber BBC monitors in the high school computer lab. Spent lots of time there teaching myself to code while managing to fail Year 10 Computing. :confused:
I remember being excited when we took delivery of our first CGA Monitor. Resolution of 640 x 200. I'd never seen anything so pretty.,

I remember being excited when we took delivery of our first CGA Monitor. Resolution of 640 x 200. I'd never seen anything so pretty.,

we did coding in basic using those cards you mark with a pencil and feed through a hopper

we did coding in basic using those cards you mark with a pencil and feed through a hopper
punchcard.jpg

@Admin, you might want to spin off the last few posts into a sperate thread. The content is older than Jack.