Jack Riewoldt [Merged] | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Jack Riewoldt [Merged]

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
You might find it hard to believe, but it makes sense when you see our forward fifty in person. 4 of our forwards are smalls, three of which push immediately into the midfield, or on to the wing. Usually a couple of opponents go with them, but we almost always set up with an outnumber forward.

Aarts is the only other forward that stays mostly forward (though he moved a lot further up the ground last night) and his opponent always sags off to intercept.

Rioli and Castagna don't demand an aerial opponent, even when they are there.

Dusty is the only other one who always draws a tight opponent, but he is really good at sneaking deep to cause a one on one, as he moves in and out of the mid.

Plus, and here's the important one, we want Jack going up against two or three. We design it that way.

It's one of the reasons Dusty gets one and their backman are out of position enough to turn it over back to us.
Yes I understand all that but we can't rely on isolating Dusty as a forward to win games. Might get away with it (almost didn't) against a young team with 19 players under 100 games but it won't pass the test against good teams.

Again I'm not saying Jack isn't playing the team game, he has for a long time now, but he can't continue with such poor offensive output and you certainly can't classify it as a brilliant game. We need more of Jack prior to last 2 games.

Reactions: 1 user

seven

Super Tiger
Apr 20, 2004
Remember Jack was playing amazing at the start of the year. Was up near the top of the Coleman.
Now he needs to retire???

Very fickle here.
Not fickle. Just stating he’s dropped off a cliff. Can’t win one on ones.
maybe rest will do him good

Coburgtiger

Tiger Legend
May 7, 2012
Yes I understand all that but we can't rely on isolating Dusty as a forward to win games. Might get away with it (almost didn't) against a young team with 19 players under 100 games but it won't pass the test against good teams.

Again I'm not saying Jack isn't playing the team game, he has for a long time now, but he can't continue with such poor offensive output and you certainly can't classify it as a brilliant game.

But that's our structure.

I think there's merit in discussing whether that structure will work against better opponents. I personally think it's an issue. But Jack can't change that. He's doing what he has to do as well as any other forward in the league would.

Our forward line is a brutal place for a tall forward. Your job is to jump with no reward, bash, crash, tap, handball, harass and set up for the turnover. And because our forward line is so short And we play outnumbered, you'll be doing it against multiple opponents.

Personally, I think we need to change it slightly due to the rule changes this year, if we want to have more strings to our bow for better opponents. But right now, Jack is playing this structure sensationally well. As he has since 2017.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Might be time to move Jack to the wing so he can add a Brownlow to his collection of medals.

Reactions: 1 users

Coburgtiger

Tiger Legend
May 7, 2012
So smart. His punch towards the boundary in the last 10 seconds was that of a very experienced player & snuffed the Giants out.
He also had either a punch, kick or handball to set up or score our last three goals. Was immense in that last quarter.

pete and tys

Tiger Superstar
Feb 19, 2009
It’s a bizarre way to put it, however I reckon his goal kicking early masked his form a bit , so many one on one contests he would have once won, just goin imho, Lynch is getting the double teams, if Jack can find form it will make a huge difference, I wouldnt be against CJ coming in and letting Jack get up the ground more , brilliant field kick.
This is the answer.
CCJ to the square, Lynch lead up and Jack to play high.
Three smalls and we have a potent attack.
Jack will beat the third defender and is very smart.
His lack of pace is the only worry on the rebound.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Josh Caddy can play tall. Can kick a goal. Loves to give the opposition a hard time. But his last few seniors appearances haven't been great, but they haven't been up forward.

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
This is the answer.
CCJ to the square, Lynch lead up and Jack to play high.
Three smalls and we have a potent attack.
Jack will beat the third defender and is very smart.
His lack of pace is the only worry on the rebound.
I’d imagine that’s why the MC haven’t played all 3 , pace

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
Tom and Jack's roles are to absorb 2 or 3 defenders and bring the ball to ground. This is their main role - if they take a mark or kick a goal it's a bonus. We push our forwards high up the ground to provide an outnumber, therefore our forwards will be outnumbered as a result. When Dimma defended Lynch the other week by saying he's playing a role this is what he meant. And it's true - Lynch would take more marks and kick more goals in another team.

We need to be patient with this as it's delivered us 3 flags. We can look very exposed and dis-organised going forward if we're not winning the ball up the field, but once we get on top in this area, no one can stop us.

Reactions: 9 users

Gazmatron

Tiger Matchwinner
Jun 23, 2013
Not fickle. Just stating he’s dropped off a cliff. Can’t win one on ones.
maybe rest will do him good
Am inclined to agree needs a rest as one on ones and pack marks he held last year aren't sticking. To me a bigger concern is the CCJ succession. This is starting to look like Jay *smile* mark 2

Gazmatron

Tiger Matchwinner
Jun 23, 2013
Am inclined to agree needs a rest as one on ones and pack marks he held last year aren't sticking. To me a bigger concern is the CCJ succession. This is starting to look like Jay *smile* mark 2
Don't know where the smile came from read *smile*

123cups

Tiger Champion
May 1, 2016
In the final marking contest of the game, Jack opted to knock the ball to the boundary.

He won the match by sticking to his role.

It’s a less glamorous role than what some people want, but I’m happy with the 4 points.

Reactions: 6 users

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
We’ll get him to 300 (less than 10 games now). That’ll be most of this season. Then I think he’ll be given the choice to go on in 2022, but that’ll be it for him, and I think he’d be happy with that, too.

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
We’ll get him to 300 (less than 10 games now). That’ll be most of this season. Then I think he’ll be given the choice to go on in 2022, but that’ll be it for him, and I think he’d be happy with that, too.
Thought Jaaack had already extended his contract out through 2022. Barring the disaster of injury Jaaack will get himself to 300 games, we won't be needing to " get " him there.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Doesn't much matter when he retires. We'll probably see more of him in the media than we do now as a player. And it's about time we got some media types who are pro-Richmond. The Essendon mafia are becoming a side show. The Geelong mafia are the ones we need to topple. The two Riewoldts will start to correct things.

Reactions: 4 users

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
maybe PRE has developed artificial intelligence.

laughed out loud at this.

testing if Matt *smile* is still a profanity?

yep, GWS old warhorse tagger who dusty hates, is still a dirty word.

artificial intelligence for sure

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 2 users