Jack Ross | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Jack Ross

tha8ball

Tiger Legend
Jan 6, 2005
Oh East Melbourne!
I see Jack Ross as being a considerable improver this year. Last year I had MJ as being that player, and this year I’ve got Ross.

I think he can become regular 22. He closed the year off pretty well. His kicking is elite.

Given the right role and opportunities, think he can find a couple of levels this year.
Have to say - I’m a fan. Hope he takes another step up.

Reactions: 2 users

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
I see Jack Ross as being a considerable improver this year. Last year I had MJ as being that player, and this year I’ve got Ross.

I think he can become regular 22. He closed the year off pretty well. His kicking is elite.

Given the right role and opportunities, think he can find a couple of levels this year.
Where do you see his best position is Red?
For me it’s on the wing.

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
Where do you see his best position is Red?
For me it’s on the wing.
No, not wing for me. Or half back. (We’ve got plenty of those.)

He’s gotta play more on the ball, through the midfield where we can use his disposal more globally. Despite Hopper and Taranto being in the fold, with Chimp and Dusty playing more forward, and Prestia’s body perhaps needing to be managed, there’s still plenty of opportunity to roll him through there. If we do, I think we’ll see considerable improvement and contribution.

His biggest challenge will be finding more inside and contested ball. He doesn’t have to be a bull, he can still be more uncontested-outside. But he needs to improve that considerably lopsided uncontested possession rate if he’s to hold a midfield spot down.

MB78

I can have my cake and eat it too
Sep 8, 2009

Kicking is elite? Not from what I have seen. Can be slow to put ball on his foot like Tom Lynch as well.

Dont Argue

Tiger Legend
Jun 26, 2018

I’m with you.
Confidence and self belief would be sky high after last year’s performance in the E.F.
He now knows he belongs and am sure he’ll build on it

Reactions: 1 user

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
No, not wing for me. Or half back. (We’ve got plenty of those.)

He’s gotta play more on the ball, through the midfield where we can use his disposal more globally. Despite Hopper and Taranto being in the fold, with Chimp and Dusty playing more forward, and Prestia’s body perhaps needing to be managed, there’s still plenty of opportunity to roll him through there. If we do, I think we’ll see considerable improvement and contribution.

His biggest challenge will be finding more inside and contested ball. He doesn’t have to be a bull, he can still be more uncontested-outside. But he needs to improve that considerably lopsided uncontested possession rate if he’s to hold a midfield spot down.
Fair call regarding midfield. However his ball use on the outside can be very damaging hence the wing call. He also has the tank to play the wing role Dimma wants.

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
Fair call regarding midfield. However his ball use on the outside can be very damaging hence the wing call. He also has the tank to play the wing role Dimma wants.
A couple of years ago the Oakleigh guys said to me they couldn’t understand what we were doing with Ross trying to play him off half back and a wing. They said he’s an on baller. That’s his go. Just let him do his thing on ball they said.

I reckon they’re right. Run him through there a bit more and see what he can do.

Reactions: 6 users
Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
Interesting player.
I honestly don't know where he fits at AFL level in it's current form though.
If you looked at the bare stats he had a decent game last night but I honestly think he's part of our problem.
Not quick by foot & his ball use is slow & often loopy. He doesn't hurt.
These are not traits you want for a player who's predominantly outside.
19 of his 23 possessions were uncontested. Only 322m gained.

If he's not going to be an inside bull which we hoped he would be then the future doesn't look great for him I'm afraid.
Back to VFL for mine.

Reactions: 1 users

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
Interesting player.
If you looked at the bare stats he had a decent game last night but I honestly think he's part of our problem.

If he's not going to be an inside bull which we hoped he would be then the future doesn't look great for him I'm afraid.
Back to VFL for mine.
Interesting to see how he plays when Sonz returns. Loved their purple patch last season.

fastin bulbous

Tiger Champion
Mar 30, 2010
Darwin
A couple of years ago the Oakleigh guys said to me they couldn’t understand what we were doing with Ross trying to play him off half back and a wing. They said he’s an on baller. That’s his go. Just let him do his thing on ball they said.

I reckon they’re right. Run him through there a bit more and see what he can do.
I think the recruitment of H and T has pretty much consigned Ross to the 2’s or as a fill in. He probably won’t get inside midfield time ahead of the others lining up.

artball

labels are for canned food
Jul 30, 2013
he was ok and cleaner with the ball than others

Reactions: 3 users

Tigers2011

What did I miss dad?
May 6, 2007
Mt Waverley, Victoria
Interesting player.

Back to VFL for mine.
So disappointing following his Stella first game. Can’t play him & Graham in AFL team. Slow and poor disposal. Take your pick.

saigon tiger

Tiger Superstar
Jun 4, 2010
Alot more highly credentiald players did less than Jack last night. Deserves a run of games with confidence can play

Reactions: 4 users

DragaTheCro

Tiger Champion
Apr 20, 2004
Thought was pretty good last night. And that was a very impressive set shot from 50m too.

Ghost of 29

Handball - its just a fad!!
Aug 16, 2008
Ross isn’t the problem and that so many on here carry on like he is the root cause of our issues is a joke. 23D at 78% DE plus a goal is good going. Jack took a few marks around high half back but there was no movement up the field so was forced to go the long dump kick. The lack of movement with either a handball off of short kick to player moving into space is the issue.

Reactions: 3 users

Carter

Tiger Legend
Nov 14, 2012
Just a plodding stop-gap until the kids come on

Let’s be real here

Elite kick? Don’t use disposal efficiency when he’s been limiting himself to dinky passes for the last two years

Has worked on his game and that’s commendable. Nailed that shot at goal which was impressive.

Last edited: