Jack Ross | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Jack Ross

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
Mr Brightside said:
I’ve thought it for as long as I can remember Bully, never seen the best natural footballer in juniors play on a flank, 99% of kids you see with all the correct arsenal are mids who can generally adapt to “ flank” roles, even the specialty run an carry types of half backs generally need the footy smarts of a good mid to make the most of the easiest position on the ground to play .

This. Not all gun midfield juniors will transition to AFL midfield quality but they may very well transition to be excellent flankers, particularly if they have a bit of speed. Much more difficult to turn a flanker into a midfielder.

Jonesracing82

Tiger Champion
Sep 30, 2011
bullus_hit said:
The exception is with the elite kicks like Jordan Clark, think every team needs one quarterback. That will be our challenge next year, basically need to find a Houli replacement.
Agreed, Short is good but needs to improve 1-v-1. Menadue has to get a move on this yr as Turner will come knocking soon enough also.

Jonesracing82

Tiger Champion
Sep 30, 2011
tigerlove said:
This. Not all gun midfield juniors will transition to AFL midfield quality but they may very well transition to be excellent flankers, particularly if they have a bit of speed. Much more difficult to turn a flanker into a midfielder.

Especially when we hear "Player X is training with the midfield group" etc every yr but ultimately they don't make much of an impact. I do think there is a case to be made for elite Flankers/small fwds for example to stay in those positions instead of robbing Peter to pay Paul.

123cups

Tiger Champion
May 1, 2016
bullus_hit said:
The exception is with the elite kicks like Jordan Clark, think every team needs one quarterback. That will be our challenge next year, basically need to find a Houli replacement.

Bowden and Deledio were favourite players of mine while in the quarterback role, but I’m pessimistic about the quarterback role going forward. A little off-topic, but here’s one perspective on flanker roles:

Successful modern flankers/non-midfielders are generally making it as intercept markers/contest halvers and by being highly competitive 1v1 - forward or back, from Vlastuin to George. As a result of modern AFL midfielders becoming increasingly elite runners, flankers have incredible midfield groups to run it out of the backline for them or push forward with them - and midfielders do anything football-related better than anyone else. This reduces the level of need for skilful, attacking flankers who are flawed defensively.

Chaos ball strategies (in response to rising defensive professionalism) have also reduced the value of the pinpoint kicking that quarterbacks (and other flankers) traditionally depended on for a living. Flanker kicking strengths don’t matter as much in this highly defensive environment.

The 6-6-6 rule too should mean less tolerance for any less-than-competitive defender in 2019+. Clubs can’t protect highly outside flankers with flooding anymore, as the 7th defender will be forced into the forward line. Which defensive role do clubs sacrifice at centre bounces? It won’t be a medium-sized intercept marker. The outside running defender is the most expendable when you’ve got a fit midfield and a defensively competitive back 6. Just win contests/intercept it and push it forward to your running midfielders. I see this as more of a general trend towards a game where everybody needs to be able to compete, defend, and win contests - a result of defensive professionalism successfully blunting teams that rely on kicking accuracy. The 44 players cover more ground over 120 minutes than ever before, and they’ll cover even more ground in 4-5 years. This means less space, more pressure, less clean passes, more contests. Players will never get less fit, so this trend is a one-way direction.

Forcing clubs to play 6 forwards also increases the incentive of more clubs to play a negating player like Towner. If this happens, we’ll eventually see more quarterback types being clamped down on, with less flooding support - meaning quarterbacks become the target of more forward half turnovers. Defensive values are increasing, so this applies generally to all players, but flankers usually tend to be the most affected by defensive attention because if they’re good attackers, but can’t play midfield, then their weakness probably lies in their contested ability somewhere. Every one of our 6 defenders must be able to defend a wider radius on his patch of turf than ever before, but they’re less required than ever to run with the ball and be chiefly responsible for setting up play. Midfielders are better at that and fit enough to do it.

So it is the rising professionalism of midfielders (from an ever-younger age) that is the cause of all these changes, meaning flanker roles are adapting in response to whatever the midfielders can or can’t do. Midfielders do more with the ball, flankers do less - freeing them up to do more defensively, just as the coaches want. So keep recruiting fit, professional midfielders and turn the failed ones into whatever flanker roles are required at the time.

TOT70

I'm just a suburban boy
Jul 27, 2004
Melbourne
This is just my two cents’ worth.

I think that the 6-6-6 rule will change the game dramatically for the 10 seconds following each centre bounce and will make zero difference after that. Teams will sag their loose man in defence back as quickly as they can if they so choose and coaches will get their outnumber in defence.

There will still be a role for Houli types but they will start on the wing and be more attacking at centre bounces.

What happens during that ten seconds is critical. The game will revert to its basic form. The ruckman knocks it down to the rover. The rover kicks it to the full forward. The full forward marks it and kicks a goal. One on one contests will be king.

Winning clearances and one on one contests will become even more important.

crackertiger

Swan street 2017
Jan 4, 2003
melbourne
Ross is not injury prone just unlucky last year. He injured his elbo from a Scateboarding accident and then a impact foot injury. People I know from the Chargers say he is a gun. I am officially exited with this kid.

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
Physically he is already bigger than Ben Cunnington.

But a thousand times quicker.

Talk about physical tools. I’m buying stock.

evo

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2003
SCOOP said:
Physically he is already bigger than Ben Cunnington.

But a thousand times quicker.

Talk about physical tools. I’m buying stock.
Yeah, pretty happy with this pick too, mate.

Tigerfan

Roar Power
Apr 28, 2004
Gold Coast (SE - QLD).
crackertiger said:
Ross is not injury prone just unlucky last year. He injured his elbo from a Scateboarding accident and then a impact foot injury. People I know from the Chargers say he is a gun. I am officially exited with this kid.

What the hell is a kid doing on a skateboard when he’s on the cusp of getting drafted to the AFL?

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
crackertiger said:

Could well work out for us that he slipped in the draft as a result. Same with english with his glandular fever and stack with him being dropped for the first u18 game.

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
TOT70 said:
This is just my two cents’ worth.

I think that the 6-6-6 rule will change the game dramatically for the 10 seconds following each centre bounce and will make zero difference after that. Teams will sag their loose man in defence back as quickly as they can if they so choose and coaches will get their outnumber in defence.

agree to a point, but our '7th' back at a centre bounce was typically Lambert, or Edwards, or similar. as soon as the ball was bounced they sprinted in. they werent there to defend, they were there to run through the square and move the ball forward.

then once play starts team dont usually play 7 backs, the spare is typically a result of an opposition forward drifting into the play.

anyway i doubt ross will be one of 6 (or 7) backs so it is probably off topic.

D85

///
Nov 22, 2004
coburg
When he came back into the Oakleigh team, he was told to impose himself at stoppages and set the tone. Every game. Every quarter. Make the opposition worry about him hunting them.

Yeh he doesnt get bulk tackles, because he was always physically relentless at the contest.

Rate him highly. A more attacking Jack Graham

bullus_hit

Whatchu talkin about Jack?
Apr 3, 2006
Just putting my stats hat on now -

21 disposals a match (good)
5.4 clearances (very good)
2.6 tackles (average)
40% contested (average)
0.6 goals (average)
2:3 kick/handball ratio (average)
67% kicking efficiency (very good)
81% handball efficiency (very good)

Overall a nice looking package, nothing stands out as troublesome from my perspective. Disposals only 2 shy of Stocker but clearly has upside with the fitness so could easily lift. Speed also a massive bonus, think there's some good value here, just comes down to workrate with the fitness.

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
and looking at his speed - 2.95 sec for the 20m sprint - which would have been the 7th fastest at the combine and (for example) faster than xavier ohalloran.

Some outsiders such as rozee, , hill, mckenzie, hamill will show more toe, but overall he will be one of the faster mids at the coalface

Dont Argue

Tiger Legend
Jun 26, 2018
DirtyDogTiger said:
What the hell is a kid doing on a skateboard when he’s on the cusp of getting drafted to the AFL?

He was doing what all young lads do. Skateboarding, chewing juicy fruits, drinking Big Ms and choking the chicken at any given moment.

TigerFlag2017

Tiger Legend
May 16, 2007
tigerdell said:
and looking at his speed - 2.95 sec for the 20m sprint - which would have been the 7th fastest at the combine and (for example) faster than xavier ohalloran.

Some outsiders such as rozee, , hill, mckenzie, hamill will show more toe, but overall he will be one of the faster mids at the coalface
He doesn't look that quick in the highlights.