Jack Ross | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Jack Ross

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
Bit of the forgotten Tiger given excitement around the new recruits but his last game of the year was getting back far closer to the Jack Ross that burst onto the scene. Be absolutely fantastic if he could step up from here & force some of our decorated vets out of the team.

Reactions: 10 users

ceehook2

Tiger Matchwinner
Feb 11, 2021
Yep, forgot to add Edwards to the "in decline" list.

Like @LeeToRainesToRoach said elsewhere, we have the 3rd oldest list and we finished 12th. That means window closed, time to rejuvenate.

I'd love to see us challenge for the flag next year again, but it's a fantasy. We've got some promising young mids including Ross but you have to think about how much, slog, pain the likes of Cotchin/Dusty/Edwards went through to get to be so good that no-one could stop em.
Chill Angry

Age is just a number , lol I’m sounding like a cats supporter

What counts is quality , continuity and team cohesion

Last year we bombed out on continuity
You mentioned Cotch/ Dusty / edwards
We heard from training watchers Cotch stood out or was on light duties all preseason and his season reflected that
Dusty started on fire then the foot injury then the kidney
And Shed couldn’t take a trick , he got battered most games he played

Cotch & Edwards look good for 22 and we have our fingers crossed for Dusty

If they are fit and well for the first month of the 22 season they will go a long way to pulling the side together

We have enough quality to go all the way , no fantasy there

I’m confident our coaches and senior players can remodel our side , they did it 2016 into 2017 and again during the 2020 season

But enough injuries will cripple any list , what’s 2022 got in store for us ?

Reactions: 4 users

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
Bit of the forgotten Tiger given excitement around the new recruits but his last game of the year was getting back far closer to the Jack Ross that burst onto the scene. Be absolutely fantastic if he could step up from here & force some of our decorated vets out of the team.

There has been nothing wrong with his pre-season either @Tigers of Old, Ross is looking strong as he did last pre-season there is no doubt he can step in and play, the next level as you say is what we're after.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
There has been nothing wrong with his pre-season either @Tigers of Old, Ross he is looking strong as he did last pre-season there is no doubt he can step in and play, the next level as you say is what we're after.
Maybe too early to tell but hopefully the club is priming him for an inside mid role, not up and down the wings.

Reactions: 2 users

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Last year we bombed out on continuity
You mentioned Cotch/ Dusty / edwards
We heard from training watchers Cotch stood out or was on light duties all preseason and his season reflected that
Dusty started on fire then the foot injury then the kidney
And Shed couldn’t take a trick , he got battered most games he played
Fair points ceeman.

yeah what I actually said was our young mids haven't gone through the baptism of fire that Cotch/Dusty/Shed went through and would take them quite a few years to get up there, not that those guys are necessarily finished. Dusty obviously has a few years yet, Shed if he's fit, Cotch is the one I'm most worried about this season. Sure if all goes right and they stay injury free we might be up and contending. Even Lambo showed signs of decline last year... but maybe it was a one off. Hope so. Also have some concerns over Dimma in the sense that a decade at one club is usually the limit - eventually players stop listening to the message.

FWIW I feel last season was an aberration of sorts, rule changes, covid, exhaustion etc really made us look worse than we were and I really feel the lack of mental edge cost us in the last half of the season - the boys just couldn't get up again. You mentioned the term team cohesion and that was a big issue last season.

We'll be better this year than last. @The Big Richo mentions Geelong - I think we are better placed than them - we might drop like last season but more likely to snag one more flag from this group than they are. I think there is something wrong with their model though - home games, very competent home and away coach, senior players coming in makes them always a contender but never with that final edge.

I am tipping more towards the dark side these days but I can be persuaded to tip back with a few good early season results :)

Reactions: 1 user

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Fair points ceeman.

yeah what I actually said was our young mids haven't gone through the baptism of fire that Cotch/Dusty/Shed went through and would take them quite a few years to get up there, not that those guys are necessarily finished. Dusty obviously has a few years yet, Shed if he's fit, Cotch is the one I'm most worried about this season. Sure if all goes right and they stay injury free we might be up and contending. Even Lambo showed signs of decline last year... but maybe it was a one off. Hope so. Also have some concerns over Dimma in the sense that a decade at one club is usually the limit - eventually players stop listening to the message.

FWIW I feel last season was an aberration of sorts, rule changes, covid, exhaustion etc really made us look worse than we were and I really feel the lack of mental edge cost us in the last half of the season - the boys just couldn't get up again. You mentioned the term team cohesion and that was a big issue last season.

We'll be better this year than last. @The Big Richo mentions Geelong - I think we are better placed than them - we might drop like last season but more likely to snag one more flag from this group than they are. I think there is something wrong with their model though - home games, very competent home and away coach, senior players coming in makes them always a contender but never with that final edge.

I am tipping more towards the dark side these days but I can be persuaded to tip back with a few good early season results :)

It is an incredibly fine line and Geelong's strategy has been reasonable, but ultimately it has failed to get them another flag. Professional sport is a brutal business and success is measured in flags. We made the Grand Final in 1982 but I didn't see anyone in 2017 harking back to 1982, we were all harking back to 1980. It is hard to fault Geelong for trying and they were so close so many times it was clearly the correct strategy for them, although whether they have followed that strategy for too long is a fair question.

As for Ross, I hope he can cement a place in the team in the middle on merit. I have doubts but I also remember how long it can take players to come back from an ankle injury. We'll see, he has looked a bit one-dimensional so needs to show more this year.

DS

BrisTiger24

Out: Chimp In: Camel
Oct 16, 2003
Brisbane
There has been nothing wrong with his pre-season either @Tigers of Old, Ross he is looking strong as he did last pre-season there is no doubt he can step in and play, the next level as you say is what we're after.
Did I read correctly recently when I read that Ross was up the front in the sprint drills? If so, is this new for him or usual?

Reactions: 1 users

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
Did I read correctly recently when I read that Ross was up the front in the sprint drills? If so, is this new for him or usual?

Ross ran 2.95 sec at combine so has never been slow but we never seem to see him utilize that pace on game day if he still possesses it?

Last edited:
  • Wow

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
But enough injuries will cripple any list , what’s 2022 got in store for us ?
Hopefully a dream run with injuries and a 4th flag for this generation of Tiger Immortals.

That will really boil everyones pisss and will be a sweet sweet moment to collect another cup on our MCG.

Reactions: 7 users

fastin bulbous

Tiger Champion
Mar 30, 2010
Darwin
I watched a few 2019 games recently and jack was very slick playing midfield before the injury. I hope he gets the opportunity to show how good he is this year.

Jonesracing82

Tiger Champion
Sep 30, 2011
This last bit is what we really need from these young blokes next yr. This will keep us in & around the mark for a while yet if these kids can step up incl Ross.

Surely he's played as an inside mid from now on.

Jonesracing82

Tiger Champion
Sep 30, 2011
Yep, forgot to add Edwards to the "in decline" list.

Like @LeeToRainesToRoach said elsewhere, we have the 3rd oldest list and we finished 12th. That means window closed, time to rejuvenate.

I'd love to see us challenge for the flag next year again, but it's a fantasy. We've got some promising young mids including Ross but you have to think about how much, slog, pain the likes of Cotchin/Dusty/Edwards went through to get to be so good that no-one could stop em.
There's 1 * i put on this statement, the fact we had we had up to 8-11 of our best side out for large chunks of the season, if we had our season we did with a dream injury run then i'd agree. I agree the older blokes are needing to be replaced in the side sooner than later but our older blokes are still younger than Geelongs. The difference is Geelongs pensioners haven't been getting long term injuries as ours have.

Jonesracing82

Tiger Champion
Sep 30, 2011
Hopefully a dream run with injuries and a 4th flag for this generation of Tiger Immortals.

That will really boil everyones pisss and will be a sweet sweet moment to collect another cup on our MCG.
Dees had 16 guys play all games bar 2, give us a dream run like that & we are going for 4 in a row next yr.

Streak

Tiger Legend
Aug 31, 2007
Western Australia
Geelong have shown it can be done Antman, they have consistently contended with a mature list for a long time, probably only better finals output from their stars away from a few flags.

But the bottom line remains no flags, and when they so bottom out, it looks like it will be ugly.

Bullarto Tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 17, 2012
Ross would be one of just a few players on the list (apart from recent recruits) who haven't got a premiership medal swinging around their necks.
He'll be most keen to rectify that situation this season. It's make or break for Rossy in 2022.
And I reckon he's going to give it everything he's got.

Ghost of 29

Handball - its just a fad!!
Aug 16, 2008
I saw Jack training at my local oval back in October. For a guy that on TV looks a bit slow, in real life he is fast. Fast of foot but especially fast of hand. If it can all click for Jack he will be a very solid midfielder for years to come