Jacob Townsend | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Jacob Townsend

UKTiger

Tiger Legend
Jul 11, 2010
Shipston on Stour, UK
He may well have had a limited AFL career but he will always be able to look back and touch his Premier medal, VFL permier medal, his Liston medal and his life membership of the best football club in the land. Not bad in any career!

Reactions: 11 users

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
After a happy 4 weeks today is a real downer.
Ive never felt so sad losing a player over the last 45 years.
Maybe when Michael Mitchell was forced into retirement and when Matty knights played his last game against Essendon.
Not many others....:(

• Sad
Reactions: 3 users

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Thanks for your efforts Towner.
You led the way during 2nd quarter in the Grand Final against the Crows, and your teammates followed.

ToraToraTora

Two outta three ain't bad.
Mar 21, 2005
QLD
Came in for 5 weeks and absolutely electrified the joint. A drought breaking flag legend. Will remember til I'm 6 foot under.

TrialByVideo

HailBGale!
Mar 1, 2015
2 emotions are etched on my mind from Grand Final day 2017

The level of noise rising in anticipation of Dusty being in the play....knowing something good nearly always happens!

The level of noise erupting once Towner had exited the play....knowing something bad nearly always happened. ... to them!

Reactions: 1 users

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
2 emotions are etched on my mind from Grand Final day 2017

The level of noise rising in anticipation of Dusty being in the play....knowing something good nearly always happens!

The level of noise erupting once Towner had exited the play....knowing something bad nearly always happened. ... to them!

:mhihi

Reactions: 1 user

TrialByVideo

HailBGale!
Mar 1, 2015
I still wonder why we are doing this.
it’s pretty ruthless.
By the way, we are keeping Markov.
I reckon he's had an assurance from someone that they'll pick him up in one way or another and this is the only way we can help him get there.
He'd know better than anyone who's coming through and if he wants to play senior footy again, it wasn't going to be with us. Just my uneducated guess.

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
Will always be remembered for perhaps the greatest purple patch in VFL/AFL history. What a champ. Forever a Richmond man, thanks for everything Towna.

Agree. Bit strange on how Towner never became a regular after that late 2017 performance. It's like we hired a professional temp.

• Sad

Streak

Tiger Legend
Aug 31, 2007
Western Australia
I reckon he's had an assurance from someone that they'll pick him up in one way or another and this is the only way we can help him get there.
He'd know better than anyone who's coming through and if he wants to play senior footy again, it wasn't going to be with us. Just my uneducated guess.

I hope you are right regarding him being picked up by someone else.

Surely a no forward line club like Collingwood could use him, let alone Gold Coast who are screaming out for mature bodies who can take the punishment of AFL footy.

Not that I ever want to see him wearing black and white :vomit

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
It would be negligent of GCS not to snap him up as a DFA.

Reactions: 4 users

Mr T.

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 11, 2007
Melbourne
Looking at some towner clips, I think his tackle/hit on Nathan Jones was more brutal than what he did to Crouch
The Jones hit was heavy.

Thanks for the memories Jacob. Best of luck for what the future may hold.

Al Bundy

Premiers 2017, 2019, 2020 ...2021?
Aug 27, 2003
Melbourne
saddened by his de-listing. Thought with a big preseason to improve his tank & speed, he would come back into it. Just got overtaken by other fast players
Saying that, GCS needs hardened bodies and should be considered while they rebuild for the future.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Always hard to see players de-listed. Towner was great but could he re-capture the magic? It seemed he couldn't get back into the seniors. Hope he finds somewhere to continue his career, maybe we are letting him go as he has an opportunity waiting, I hope so.

DS

Mac

Tiger Champion
Sep 16, 2003
BAAANNNGGG!!!! A REAL AGGRESSIVE ONE !!

love Towner. Some highlights -

- sublime set of games including the 17 GF. The stuff of dreams. Every tiger fan is in your debt.
- always competed in the air. Always. Never mind his own safety. Before Lynch, Jack needed others to fly now and then. Any time it was Towner’s turn, he’d never fail to step up and put his body on the line competing in the air to the detriment to his own game. Team first.
- tough tackling. Nuff said.
- great set shot for goal. Very important goal in the 2nd Qtr 17 gf. Vital conversion and he nailed it.
- while Lambo’s 3rd Qtr goal in the 17 gf was my all time fave and ‘the’ goal of the game, it was Towner’s intercept and goal in the last that absolutely sealed it for me. This goal was my ‘oh my god, we’re actually going to win’ moment. Will never forget that moment and that feeling.
- following this goal, Towner continued to give Lever the absolutes sh!ts by banging into his elbows. Never. Stops. Giving.

Always a legend. Good luck Towner!

• Love
Reactions: 8 users

waiting

Tiger Legend
Apr 15, 2007
Victoria
I hope you are right regarding him being picked up by someone else.

Surely a no forward line club like Collingwood could use him, let alone Gold Coast who are screaming out for mature bodies who can take the punishment of AFL footy.

Not that I ever want to see him wearing black and white :vomit

Please no to the Pies.

Hope he ends up staying with our VFL side but i doubt it if he has aspirations to continue with his AFL career.

TigerFlag2017

Tiger Legend
May 16, 2007
I heard on the grapevine that Australian embassy flags have been put at half mast around the world

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 4 users