James Trezise | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

James Trezise

What do you think of his kicking? Im not sure I would call Broad or even Balta as good kicks and Dltd was never a lace out. Grimes is a good kick.
Balta is one of the longest kicks in the AFL, doesn’t use it enough.
IMO he is a very good kick but suffers in the way Rance suffered, especially early in his career, which is poor decision making. He is capable of executing almost any kick but sometimes he just picks the highest risk and hardest option.

Reactions: 1 user

good enough football skills at AFL level IMO, we've found a player. See what Yze does with selection.
More than enough to get excited about here (except the helicopter kick in :ROFLMAO:). Apart from the early rounds, before the season went to *smile*, this was possibly the most exciting game for me as we got to see a bunch of kids, and they all had some great moments

Reactions: 2 users
Just his kicking that needs a lot of improvement the rest is good.

Reactions: 4 users
His kicking is fine. First game nerves and trying a bit too hard. Once he settles down he will be good
He may have been trying too hard with his disposal but he looked very composed and assured in his actions.
That’s why I’m tipping a solid AFL career.

Reactions: 3 users
Watch the VFL matches, his kicking is very inconsistant.
Even if that is the case, is it enough to keep him out of the side? His kicking may be inconsistent but it’s probably the only part of his game that is.

It’s reasonable to want players with better footskills but unless you have access to the really pointy end of the draft, it’s going to come with significant trade-offs in other areas. Trezise may not be as classy by foot as the likes of Brown or Banks but he certainly has those two beat in a lot of other areas.

Reactions: 4 users
Even if that is the case, is it enough to keep him out of the side? His kicking may be inconsistent but it’s probably the only part of his game that is.

It’s reasonable to want players with better footskills but unless you have access to the really pointy end of the draft, it’s going to come with significant trade-offs in other areas. Trezise may not be as classy by foot as the likes of Brown or Banks but he certainly has those two beat in a lot of other areas.
I remember the naysayers bagging Broady about his disposal and how he wouldn’t make the grade.
Trezise’s starting point looks better than Broady’s to me so wouldn’t be worried about his disposal in the slightest.
He’s cut his hair and turned up in very good nick.
I’m more than confident

• Love
Reactions: 9 users

Tresize is a slow burner for me. I don't think he will play a heap of footy in 2024, not because of ability but we generally play with 2 mediums, and I don't see him replacing either of Vlastuin or Broad at this stage. I think they will look for him to continue to mature as a player in the VFL this year, with the aim that he is ready to go, if and when either of those 2 get injured or need a rest and will be best 22 in either 2025 or 2026. Its a great pipeline to have. I also reckon they are looking at Bauer as the other 1 to replace those 2. Ie. its long term planning to essentially believe we have the players to replace those 2 (Broad and Vlastuin) when the time comes.

acquitted himself very, very well against a top, finals-bound side on their own deck.

i reckon they'll find a way to squeeze him in

Reactions: 6 users
I remember the naysayers bagging Broady about his disposal and how he wouldn’t make the grade.
Trezise’s starting point looks better than Broady’s to me so wouldn’t be worried about his disposal in the slightest.
I’m more than confident

He's gunna be a 188cm athletic beast.

Strong as an ox (will be our best tackler, prob already is), great one on one with a huge leap.

Gets excellent distance with his kicks, just a bit slow hand to foot, with a decent margin for error with his technique. He'll work to tidy that up.
Tresize is a slow burner for me. I don't think he will play a heap of footy in 2024, not because of ability but we generally play with 2 mediums, and I don't see him replacing either of Vlastuin or Broad at this stage. I think they will look for him to continue to mature as a player in the VFL this year, with the aim that he is ready to go, if and when either of those 2 get injured or need a rest and will be best 22 in either 2025 or 2026. Its a great pipeline to have. I also reckon they are looking at Bauer as the other 1 to replace those 2. Ie. its long term planning to essentially believe we have the players to replace those 2 (Broad and Vlastuin) when the time comes.

Reckon you underestimate his growth and improvement left Posh Spice.

Need to remember what his trajectory is like - 12 months ago he was a 20 year old playing for Tooradin-Dalmore after not going through any of the pathways, then missing 2020 and most 21 with Covid.

To come from the West Gippsland league to joining pre-season at our VFL club, then playing extremely well, to getting drafted, to holding his own at AFL level in a year at 21 is quite incredible.

This pre-season alone compared to what he has experienced before will bring him on massively. More than anyone.

The sharp growth left in James is one of the most exciting things on our list ILO.

• Love
Reactions: 19 users
I’m more than confident
If I remember correctly (50/50 chance) the knock on Broady was all about his ball drop, as his kicks usually got to where they were supposed to pre joining the Tige's.

Reactions: 1 users
He's gunna be a 188cm athletic beast.

Strong as an ox (will be our best tackler, prob already is), great one on one with a huge leap.

Gets excellent distance with his kicks, just a bit slow hand to foot, with a decent margin for error with his technique. He'll work to tidy that up.

Reckon you underestimate his growth and improvement left Posh Spice.

Need to remember what his trajectory is like - 12 months ago he was a 20 year old playing for Tooradin-Dalmore after not going through any of the pathways, then missing 2020 and most 21 with Covid.

To come from the West Gippsland league to joining pre-season at our VFL club, then playing extremely well, to getting drafted, to holding his own at AFL level in a year at 21 is quite incredible.

This pre-season alone compared to what he has experienced before will bring him on massively. More than anyone.

The sharp growth left in James is one of the most exciting things on our list ILO.

I don't disagree with you and in time he will be best 22, but I guess my thinking is, who does he displace from our Best 22. He seems at home playing as a mid size back, so who does he play in front of? Vlastuin or Broad? As much as I rate him, I don't think he's at a position to displace either at this stage, but he will get some football as I reckon those guys will get a rest at some stage of the season but I think we will see Tresize really step into the best 22 either 2025 or the year after. Nothing wrong with coming into the Best 22 of a side at 23/24. He could essentially be our version of Tom Stewart.

I don't disagree with you and in time he will be best 22, but I guess my thinking is, who does he displace from our Best 22. He seems at home playing as a mid size back, so who does he play in front of? Vlastuin or Broad? As much as I rate him, I don't think he's at a position to displace either at this stage, but he will get some football as I reckon those guys will get a rest at some stage of the season but I think we will see Tresize really step into the best 22 either 2025 or the year after. Nothing wrong with coming into the Best 22 of a side at 23/24. He could essentially be our version of Tom Stewart.

There's always injuries though.

Never do your best 22 take the park. Might not need an injury to Broad/Vlastuin.

A key back might go down and Broady steps into that leaving a role.

Or plays on a wing etc.

Not very often any player bangs the door down at VFL level and doesn't get his chance. Especially under a new coach.

Reactions: 1 users
is as strong in the contest as any player I have seen in a long long time.

Reactions: 3 users
As great a defender as he's been, I was always a bit disappointed Vlastuin never made the transition to the midfield.
I wonder what Trezise might offer on ball? Maybe it's too much of a stretch & obviously would need to see it at VFL level first but it would be interesting to find out.

Reactions: 1 user