Joel Bowden farewell [Merged] | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Joel Bowden farewell [Merged]

Re: Joel Bowden Press Conference today!

I wonder if JON will try number 11 next season. 3rd time lucky. ;D

Congratulations Joel , thankyou for your contribution to the Tigers, and for your fantastic work in the community. I wish you all the best in your future endeavours. :clap :clap

ILuvLids said:
One of the most intelligent footballers of this club and of the AFL. He has had a wonderful career winning back to back jack dyer medals and making the all Australian team. It is a sad day for the club who will say goodbye to one of it's most beloved servants. I will miss you Joel! Good Luck in your future endeavours! :clap :clap

x2 :'(

a class act on and off the field. we haven't had many dual all australians in the modern era

Congratulations on 265 games and thanks Joel for your loyalty to the RFC throughout all the tough times.

We will miss you and wish you well in your future life.

Tigers of Old said:

The senior coach not being at the press conference of a retiring club legend surprises me and is disrespectful towards JB.

IMO of course.

mb64 said:
No sign of Jade the blade at the press conference.
That's not true - he was there! Have a look at the photos!

http://www.aflphotos.com.au/galleries/results/?q=collection:AFL%202009%20Media%20-%20Joel%20Bowden%20Media%20Conference%20120809

Wildride said:
That's not true - he was there! Have a look at the photos!

http://www.aflphotos.com.au/galleries/results/?q=collection:AFL%202009%20Media%20-%20Joel%20Bowden%20Media%20Conference%20120809

I guess there was a sign of Jade there after all.

Well I think he's been down on form this year (lack of pace was noticeable) he has been a fine servant of the club and said as much in person on Sunday.

Well done Joel, best of luck at University next year.

Well played Joel,i used to love when you were steaming towards 50 with ball in your hand earlier in your career with a trademark long goal.Lets hope the boys at least have a dip for you aganst the scum on the weekend.

Fantastic, noble, humble servant of RFC who had to put up playing in crap teams with crap coaches and now treated like crap by the club in his retirement. Joel, you are a credit to the game, to RFC, to the wider community you have served (through your off-field efforts) and to your family. Well done - i hope that RFC has not seen the last of you as you are the sort of person that younger footballers could model their lives off.

It wouldn't surprise me if the RFC has finshed on top of the ladder for the greatest amount of radio/TV/newspaper coverage this year. I think today's conference should have had Troy Simmonds announcing his retirement as well. Two birds with one stone, in & out and stop this bloody media circus once and for all.

Well done Joel Bowden, a class act both on & off the field :clap :clap

geoffryprettyboy said:
It wouldn't surprise me if the RFC has finshed on top of the ladder for the greatest amount of radio/TV/newspaper coverage this year. I think today's conference should have had Troy Simmonds announcing his retirement as well. Two birds with one stone, in & out and stop this bloody media circus once and for all.

Perhaps Brown could have jumped on board as well.

Good-bye one and all.

Re: Joel Bowden farewell

Gee if ever 3 footballers ever deserved a premiership medal around their neck, it would be joel, Knighter and Richo!, unfortunatley luck lands on the wrong clubs at the wrong times?.

Congrats on a great career at Tigerland with a couple of AA aswell :clap.

Who knows?... one day we might be calling you "President Bowden" of our once mighty club!.

Best of luck to you and your family in your retirement:).

Now c'mon Tiges, do it for Joel this week!!!

Congrats on a great career Joel :clap :clap

some thoughts, memories, stats.

- 264 games (265th on Saturday), 174 goals, Dual B & F (2004, 2005), Dual All Australian (2005, 2006), AFL Rising Star Nominee (1997).

- Drafted 1995: under the Father Son rule from West Alice Springs FC.

- Debut in 1996: played as a HF early in his career. remember him kicking 5 against WC and breaking his collar bone.

- Late 90's as Joels career developed he moved into the midfield and could find plenty of the footy. have fond memories of him being a master at sprinting from the centre to receive a handball from teamates who had marked on 50. he would calmly slot through a goal from outside 50 with that raking left foot.

- Early 2000's: unfortunately a lack of pace meant Joel became found out as a midfielder as clubs turned to quick midfielders with many rotations to allow recovery. he played a few positions forward/mid/back as required but started to struggle and was at the crossroads.

- 2004: after some poor form and being unaccountable defensively Joel was dropped early in the season to play for Coburg.

- Joel's career was resurrected when he returned from Coburg when he moved to HB playing on mid-sized players or the 3rd tall forward. He made the "Quarterback" position his own in 04/05/06/07. He marshalled the defence from half back providing plenty of rebound & creativeness, awareness, poise, and was often the designated kick in from behinds. Still managed to kick goals from this position running forward to slot through on his left foot. It shows a lot to Joel's character that he was able to come back and perform at his best and take out the B&F for the RFC in 04 & 05..

- Bowden to Bowden to Bowden: Joel's brother Pat came to the RFC in 2006. will never forget the Adelaide game at Testra Dome. we were expected to lose. we took posession footy to a new level that day led by Joel Bowden. It was Bowden.J to Bowden.P to Bowden.J to Raines (remember him) to Bowden.J. was a disgrace of a game to watch but we won by 3pts (i think).

- That goal: think it was 2006 at Telstra dome. Joel got the footy 40m out. stooged 3 defenders with 3 classic baulks and kicked the goal from 35m out to ice the game.

- Joel won his 2nd All Australian in 06 after 2 B&F's 04/05 which is testiment to his committment and willingness to adapt & re-invent himself as a footballer.

- Dreamteam/Supercoach: He was the king at scoring points in 05/06/07 and was first picked as a defender. was leading disposal getter in the AFL in 06.

- KP Defender: When we lost Gas & Andy we became light on down back. Joel was forced to play on KP Forwards, while clearly undersized in height & weight, and more than held his own. Did some good jobs on players such as J.Brown, etc.

- The Joel Bowden Rule: in 2008 Joel milked the clock in the final minute or so by rushing 2 behinds and wasting valuable time against the Bummers. he played on from the kick in and dared the opposition to come at him. we won by 4pts or so and it caused an uproar across the AFL as well as made the Bummer supporters whinge & cry at the game and on radio. the hawks used it to win a premiership & the rules were changed to eradicate it from the game for the 09 season.

- 2008/09: Joel has slowly seen his place in the side disappear with limited success and the need to blood and develop young &/or untried players with a view to the future. he is clearly good enough to be in our best 22 but with the seasons over early in 08 & 09 he has made way for youth. i have no doubt he would slot into a top 4 side beautifully and do well.

- Joel has not complained about his situation and has gone back to Coburg each time he has been dropped and played good footy clearly showing he is above the level. He has played to his best, shown leadership and guidance to those around him, and performed roles requested by our coaches as required.

- Joel has always been the first to support community initiatives. he has donated much time and effort to this area as well as leading in player welfare issues. (he's been AFLPA President since 2007)

- Joel deserves the credit, respect, and accolades of a true tiger great from the entire RFC and football community this week when he retires against the Pies.

Well done Joel.

I think he has a bright future within the AFL in coaching or as an administrator

Re: Joel Bowden farewell

Thanks Joel there has been some brain fade along the way.But you have been a great player for the Tigers best of luck and hope you keep being a tiger cheers :clap