Liam McBean | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Liam McBean

Tigers of Old said:
I think we did find out.
It sounds smug with hindsight but I just about wrote Liam off when I saw him beaten by Lynden Dunn way back in his first NAB cup game.
For a tall player he was very good at ground level and he had a great snap. However the opposition was always going to match him up with a hard bodied third tall aerialist, good in the air who who could nullify his strengths when the ball hit the deck and who could run off him. It left him nowhere.
Dylan Grimes would have made life hell for Liam at training.

fair post ToO.

mcbean can play, but the sum of his traits just don't equal an AFL footballer who can consistently beat his opponent.

Tigers of Old said:
I think we did find out.
It sounds smug with hindsight but I just about wrote Liam off when I saw him beaten by Lynden Dunn way back in his first NAB cup game.
For a tall player he was very good at ground level and he had a great snap. However the opposition was always going to match him up with a hard bodied third tall aerialist, good in the air who who could nullify his strengths when the ball hit the deck and who could run off him. It left him nowhere.
Dylan Grimes would have made life hell for Liam at training.

That about sums it all up I think.

McJesus is coming to my home town to play for the Tigers!

"We are pleased to announce that Liam McBean (ex-Richmond) has agreed to join the Glenelg Tigers next year. Liam is a key forward/ruckman who is 202 cm tall. Liam played five AFL games at Richmond over his four years. Liam will offer great support to Josh Scott and Warrick McGinty during season 2017."

Baron Samedi said:
mcbean can play, but the sum of his traits just don't equal an AFL footballer who can consistently beat his opponent.

So in the end four years of hype n *smile* ends with an insignificant whimper.

Kinda has me wondering if the reality of the quality of our overall team has been over hyped just as heavily as the Beanie was these last few years.

Naaahhhhh! It's Dimma's fault, always has been n always will be. Never has anything to do with the actual capability of the individual player or heaven forbid, the entire team.

Judge Smailes said:

"We are pleased to announce that Liam McBean (ex-Richmond) has agreed to join the Glenelg Tigers next year. Liam is a key forward/ruckman who is 202 cm tall. Liam played five AFL games at Richmond over his four years. Liam will offer great support to Josh Scott and Warrick McGinty during season 2017."
Good luck Liam, maybe we,ll see you drafted by Port or the crows......

TigerMasochist said:

Kinda has me wondering if the reality of the quality of our overall team has been over hyped just as heavily as the Beanie was these last few years.

Naaahhhhh! It's Dimma's fault, always has been n always will be. Never has anything to do with the actual capability of the individual player or heaven forbid, the entire team.

he's a freak, TM, Dimma doesn't like 'em.

TigerMasochist said:

You're right.

There are 2 possibilities. There's a problem with one guy in charge. Or there's a problem with every guy we pick up.

You're just wrong about which is more likely.

It's a mystery.

Dimma normally likes defensive forwards who don't kick goals and McBeano certainly excelled at that in his time in the seniors.

Coburgtiger said:
You're right.

There are 2 possibilities. There's a problem with one guy in charge. Or there's a problem with every guy we pick up.

You're just wrong about which is more likely.

So you're pointing the finger at Francis Jackson, the guy in charge of recruiting? Right on target.

Antman Still only 22 years of age so plenty of time to prove the pundits wrong. At Punt Road I do think he was not given a fair crack of the whip . Got a game after Tigers persisted with TV & Griff who have turned out to be absolute duds. By this time confidence at Punt Road was so low the cows were not mooing. No one mooed about the Hammer when he came to Punt Road either but he has proved plenty wrong.

Baron Samedi said:
he's a freak, TM, Dimma doesn't like 'em.
Guess that means Shai will be playing back pocket for the Ressies for a couple of years before he goes home then. That other little bloke Daniel must be going on the trade table end of season then, way to many highlights in his first year.

TigerMasochist said:
Guess that means Shai will be playing back pocket for the Ressies for a couple of years before he goes home then. That other little bloke Daniel must be going on the trade table end of season then, way to many highlights in his first year.

Probably.

Tigaman said:
Antman Still only 22 years of age so plenty of time to prove the pundits wrong. At Punt Road I do think he was not given a fair crack of the whip . Got a game after Tigers persisted with TV & Griff who have turned out to be absolute duds. By this time confidence at Punt Road was so low the cows were not mooing. No one mooed about the Hammer when he came to Punt Road either but he has proved plenty wrong.

The issue with this observation is that 17 other club scouts did not see anything worth investing in.

lukeanddad said:
The issue with this observation is that 17 other club scouts did not see anything worth investing in.
And another picked up TV

Judge Smailes said:

"We are pleased to announce that Liam McBean (ex-Richmond) has agreed to join the Glenelg Tigers next year. Liam is a key forward/ruckman small forward who is 202 cm tall.

Edited for accuracy. ;D

Tigaman said:

Perhaps Tiga but history is against him. From what I saw of him he was happy to play at VFL level as a small forward - he never took the steps to become a key forward or a ruck, maybe because of his physique. And to be fair the VFL coaches tried their best to make it happen.

TV and Griff both have AFL careers unlike Beano and both have surpassed him by far, which is a fair statement since both are head-cases. Hammer - he's done ok last season on limited potential but I'm hoping Nankervis becomes the number 1 ruck.

Well done Beanie.

6 goals on debut. Gee that weight has to be a misprint (108kgs)

Just as well we are flush with tall forward stocks ATM :-\

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/afl/local-footy-sa/sanfl/glenelg-recruits-liam-mcbean-and-dom-barry-shine-in-tigers-stunning-upset-over-port-adelaide-magpies/news-story/f5eaae415a91f02641244ef1717b2514

PS Nice to see him in a tigers jumper, even if it isn't ours.

lamb22 said:
Well done Beanie.

6 goals on debut. Gee that weight has to be a misprint (108kgs)

Just as well we are flush with tall forward stocks ATM :-\

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/afl/local-footy-sa/sanfl/glenelg-recruits-liam-mcbean-and-dom-barry-shine-in-tigers-stunning-upset-over-port-adelaide-magpies/news-story/f5eaae415a91f02641244ef1717b2514

PS Nice to see him in a tigers jumper, even if it isn't ours.

We just delisted the next plugger