List Management 2023 | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

List Management 2023

BrisTiger24

Out: Chimp In: Camel
Oct 16, 2003
Brisbane
With finals off the agenda and a new coach coming (surely an external appointment now), it's time to start thinking about list management.

I think it is clear we need to rejuvenate the list. We probably need to take some risks on trades to give us the draft capital we need.

Grimes - retire
Cotch - retire
Jack - retire (I think we need him to go again but I think we need to bite the bullet for rejuvenation purposes)
Tarrant - retire
Balta - trade. Should be able to get a first rounder for him? If so, with Young looking capable, Gibcus coming back and maybe playing Miller back, we should have enough coverage to trade Balta
Graham - trade (2nd or 3rd rounder?)
Soldo - trade (2nd rounder?)
McIntosh - trade/delist/retire

Package up the 2nd/3rd rounders to Suns for their first rounder. With a first rounder for Balta we should have 2 first rounders and some 3rd and 4th rounders to take to the draft?

Am I shedding too many players?

Reactions: 1 users

fastin bulbous

Tiger Champion
Mar 30, 2010
Darwin
With finals off the agenda and a new coach coming (surely an external appointment now), it's time to start thinking about list management.

I think it is clear we need to rejuvenate the list. We probably need to take some risks on trades to give us the draft capital we need.

Grimes - retire
Cotch - retire
Jack - retire (I think we need him to go again but I think we need to bite the bullet for rejuvenation purposes)
Tarrant - retire
Balta - trade. Should be able to get a first rounder for him? If so, with Young looking capable, Gibcus coming back and maybe playing Miller back, we should have enough coverage to trade Balta

Package up the 2nd/3rd rounders to Suns for their first rounder. With a first rounder for Balta we should have 2 first rounders and some 3rd and 4th rounders to take to the draft?

I think jack will probably play on though I hope he doesn’t play at the expense of younger players. I think balta will be retained unless there is a godfather offer.

Edit - I’m all for the knee jerk sack everyone philosophy today though so add a few more!

• Haha

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
Can we stop the talk about trading Balta.

Next we will be putting Bolton on the trade table.

Reactions: 8 users

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
Can we stop the talk about trading Balta.

Next we will be putting Bolton on the trade table.
I reckon we should trade or delist everyone over 22.

Think how good our future will look when we have a list younger than even the Suns first year.

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
Grimes - retire
Cotch - retire
Jack - retire
I think i am now on board with this, it might just be that i want a bit of immediate gratification, watching them play their last game this Saturday, but I reckon Grimes hasn't played to a high enough level to warrant staying on int he 2nd half of this year, especially considering we are likely to keep the rest of the back 7.
And I think i would rather jsut cheer Jack off this week than watch him battle through another season, not knowing which game will be his last.

Reactions: 2 users

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Balta had a shocker yesterday but he’s not to be traded. He’s our key defender for the next 10 years.
Yep, build your team around your defence.
It won't surprise me in a couple of years time if Young is rated our best key defender, he's done very well in his first season of AFL.

BrisTiger24

Oct 16, 2003
Brisbane
Yep, build your team around your defence.
It won't surprise me in a couple of years time if Young is rated our best key defender, he's done very well in his first season of AFL.

It's Young's performance that makes me think we are ok to trade Balta, knowing Gibcus can be our premier defender. He has been a diamond in the rough find

toothless

Tiger Champion
Aug 16, 2009
Contracts as they stand today finish at the completion of this season: Nyuon, Mansell, Ralphsmith, Dow, Campbell, Bradtke, Colina, Trezise, & Bauer (9).

Last edited:

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
It's Young's performance that makes me think we are ok to trade Balta, knowing Gibcus can be our premier defender. He has been a diamond in the rough find
You do realise Balta is one of the best intercept defenders in the league. They are so critical to the way is played today. That’s like saying Melbourne should trade Lever because they have Joel Smith.

Reactions: 5 users

toothless

Tiger Champion
Aug 16, 2009
I reckon it may end up something like this -

In: Coulthard, Trezise, x3 national draft picks
Out: Castagna, Tarrant, Cotchin, Nyuon, Mansell

Free agency: ?
Trade in: Koschitzke?
Trade table: Ralphsmith & Soldo

Plenty of players who come out of contract this season that can be easily slotted in as rookies. Take your pick.

K3

Tiger Legend
Oct 9, 2006
Contracts as they stand today finish at the completion of this season: Nyuon, Mansell, Ralphsmith, Dow, Campbell, Graham, Pickett, McIntosh, Bradtke, Colina, Trezise, & Bauer (12).
Definitely five there I would like to see stay on.

The rest, not so much...

Feeling Tigerish

Tiger Champion
Apr 11, 2009

Grimes - retire
Cotch - retire
Tarrant - retire

Im in 100% agreeance on all of this

however, i would also add pickett to the trade/retire/delist category

Colina, just bloody get rid of him, is he even at the club, who is he, does he exist?

Nyuon, not good enough

Ralphsmith im 50/50

Mansell im 50/50

Cumberland, whats happened to him, 50/50, definitely open to trade

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

BrisTiger24

Oct 16, 2003
Brisbane
You do realise Balta is one of the best intercept defenders in the league. They are so critical to the way is played today. That’s like saying Melbourne should trade Lever because they have Joel Smith.

Risk it to get the biscuit. Precisely the reason we can get good draft capital in return. I have faith Gibcus can be as good, if not better, than Balta.

Balta is one of the best intercept defenders, yet he also leaks goals and turns it over too much going the other way.

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
Grimes - Retire (might have to negotiate this outcome).
Cotch - Retire
Jack - Retire
Tarrant - Retire
Balta - I would trade for the right price (ie. top 5 pick).
Graham - I would prefer to keep, but I'm OK with us testing the market.
Soldo - Pretty sure he'd be a FA. I like him, but I think Miller and Ryan are the future.
McIntosh - Would Dimma want his structural discipline at the Suns? I like the romance of a straight swap to bring Brandon Ellis home. Both players are of similar age, but I think Ellis' durability means he can play for another 4-5 years and have an impact.

Others:
Ralphsmith - 50/50. Probably delist and rookie if no one else takes him. .
Cumberland - I know he's contracted, but I would be open to offers.
Pickett- Thanks for the memories. I'll always have a soft spot for him, but I think its time.

jokershoppe

Tiger Champion
Feb 17, 2008

Grimes - retire
Cotch - retire
Tarrant - retire

Balta no way trade but u are short on maybe get a first ,I would want a top 10 minimum.

K3

Tiger Legend
Oct 9, 2006
Risk it to get the biscuit. Precisely the reason we can get good draft capital in return. I have faith Gibcus can be as good, if not better, than Balta.

Balta is one of the best intercept defenders, yet he also leaks goals and turns it over too much going the other way.

Is there a chance Gibcus ends up as a forward.

saigon tiger

Tiger Superstar
Jun 4, 2010
Balta needs to play the Blicavs role ruck drifting around the ground forward back with occasionally match up role if needed. Too many brain fades and stuff ups to be permanent full back. Use his strengths booming kick, contested mark and likes a run. !