List Management 2023 | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

List Management 2023

With finals off the agenda and a new coach coming (surely an external appointment now), it's time to start thinking about list management.

I think it is clear we need to rejuvenate the list. We probably need to take some risks on trades to give us the draft capital we need.

Grimes - retire
Cotch - retire
Jack - retire (I think we need him to go again but I think we need to bite the bullet for rejuvenation purposes)
Tarrant - retire
Balta - trade. Should be able to get a first rounder for him? If so, with Young looking capable, Gibcus coming back and maybe playing Miller back, we should have enough coverage to trade Balta
Graham - trade (2nd or 3rd rounder?)
Soldo - trade (2nd rounder?)
McIntosh - trade/delist/retire

Package up the 2nd/3rd rounders to Suns for their first rounder. With a first rounder for Balta we should have 2 first rounders and some 3rd and 4th rounders to take to the draft?

Am I shedding too many players?
Love the thought of trading Balta and Soldo

Grimes - retire
Cotch - retire
Jack - retire (I think we need him to go again but I think we need to bite the bullet for rejuvenation purposes)
Tarrant - retire
Balta - trade. Should be able to get a first rounder for him? If so, with Young looking capable, Gibcus coming back and maybe playing Miller back, we should have enough coverage to trade Balta

Package up the 2nd/3rd rounders to Suns for their first rounder. With a first rounder for Balta we should have 2 first rounders and some 3rd and 4th rounders to take to the draft?

All bar Balta, I'm fine with. And throw Pickett in as well.

Our contract method of triggering extra years for players over 27 needs reviewing. No way McIntosh and Pickett should be able to go on next year but we are forced to do so.

Reactions: 3 users
All bar Balta, I'm fine with. And throw Pickett in as well.

Our contract method of triggering extra years for players over 27 needs reviewing. No way McIntosh and Pickett should be able to go on next year but we are forced to do so.
This. Even the magnificent Richo was on one year deals.

It's Young's performance that makes me think we are ok to trade Balta, knowing Gibcus can be our premier defender. He has been a diamond in the rough find
No to the Balta trade.

Young/Astbury to take the gorillas and Balta/Rance the interceptor.

If we trade out Balta, we are left with Young and Gibcus, and a 32 year old Grimes who is rapidly declining, and isn't a key defender.

Reactions: 1 users
Reflective of the club overestimating the future of the playing list.

Reactions: 1 user
With finals off the agenda and a new coach coming (surely an external appointment now), it's time to start thinking about list management.

I think it is clear we need to rejuvenate the list. We probably need to take some risks on trades to give us the draft capital we need.

Grimes - retire
Cotch - retire
Tarrant - retire

Think Grimes and McIntosh are contracted. We don't have a whole lot of room this year with anyone much out of contract unless we trade, which is why it is crucial Riewoldt retires and we put anyone else we can get a deal for on the table.

Before getting into the specifics of who stays and who goes, consider the likely timeline of any potential rebuild.

Looking at recent examples like Hawthorn, Adelaide, Carlton, Freo, Essendon and North, we are looking at 6-7 year’s minimum out of finals contention. That’s also assuming we get the rebuild right and there are no guarantees of that.

So, if we are staring down the barrel of the better part of a decade rebuilding, it’s fair to say pretty much every player currently on our list is up for grabs.

Better get our affairs in order, we dont want to be down the bottom when the tassie team comes in.
Otherwise we will get screwed again like we did when the suns and gws came in.
Harsh calls need to be made and quickly, we want to be in the top end when that happens to bank easy wins for finals.

Reactions: 4 users
Trade out.
Ralph Smith Graham Ross BigV
Delist or just don't play them again and force them to leave,
Grimes
Flappers
Pickett
Nakas
Biggie
Dow
Miller

Cotch, Jack, George, Tarrant, Grimes to retire
Ask Soldo, McIntosh, Ralphsmith, Miller, Mansell and Graham to look elsewhere. Trade for anything or delist if possible.
If Pickett's kids show real talent and potential then he should stay on.
Trade Vlastuin, Broad, Short, Prestia, Lynch if the price is right, otherwise keep.
Send Dusty to Dimma for GC's first round pick.

Cotch, Jack, George, Tarrant, Grimes to retire
Ask Soldo, McIntosh, Ralphsmith, Miller, Mansell and Graham to look elsewhere. Trade for anything or delist if possible.
If Pickett's kids show real talent and potential then he should stay on.
Trade Vlastuin, Broad, Short, Prestia, Lynch if the price is right, otherwise keep.
Send Dusty to Dimma for GC's first round pick.
You cannot be serious making as many changes to list.
The club with no first pick will only have 3-5 picks in draft and not many free agents left.
Grimes just signed an extra year, Kmac and Pickett have ticked off their required games for 2023 thus a contract for 2024. Not great decisions made by the club.
We need to be creative, and grab pick no 4 off the Gold Coast since the talk is that they need to move it on as it will be swallowed up by the 3 academy players they will select.

Reactions: 2 users
Trade out.
Ralph Smith Graham Ross BigV
Delist or just don't play them again and force them to leave,
Grimes
Flappers
Pickett
Nakas
Biggie
Dow
Miller
Pickett has no currency due to his court case later in the year.

trade week at tigerland.
Kenan Thompson Snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

Before getting into the specifics of who stays and who goes, consider the likely timeline of any potential rebuild.

Looking at recent examples like Hawthorn, Adelaide, Carlton, Freo, Essendon and North, we are looking at 6-7 year’s minimum out of finals contention. That’s also assuming we get the rebuild right and there are no guarantees of that.

So, if we are staring down the barrel of the better part of a decade rebuilding, it’s fair to say pretty much every player currently on our list is up for grabs.
If we use Essendon as an example, our next lot of finals players may not have even been born yet.

History will tell us there is no template to follow. Teams dont fall to the bottom, have a few years of early drafts and rise back into contention.

Reactions: 5 users
If we use Essendon as an example, our next lot of finals players may not have even been born yet.

History will tell us there is no template to follow. Teams dont fall to the bottom, have a few years of early drafts and rise back into contention.
Exactly, I wish more people realized this. Success is hard won and easily lost.

Personally I'm in the glass half full camp on the list, there are changes we need to make, but we hopefully will have Lynch and Gibcus back next year in full fitness, they are 2 that will straighten us up a lot, has it finally sunk in for the Sonz? Maybe, again could have a big impact on next season. Banks and Clarke will continue to improve and who knows what we get from Brown.

I think we need to be bold this year, but there is a lot of toys being thrown out of prams right now.

I look at our best 22 next year and try to fill the gaps. We do need some top 10 picks from somewhere to add that younger talent into these spots, but the team isn't like West Coast / North etc.

We have enough quality in the side to inject a few top line picks over the next few years and rebound quickly.
Personally think we need to look at what we can get for Vlastuin, I think the back end of the year he's probably been getting back to some of his best footy, but you need to give something to get something and we have Brown waiting in the wings who needs an opportunity to play, call it a list balance decision. I'd look to offload Hugo and Soldo too, and consider what we can get for Graham.

Our Best 22 team (with spots that are unknown right now shown) I think would be something like the below.

B Young Gibcus Broad
HB Rioli Balta Short
C Ross Hopper ???
HF Baker Bauer Bolton
F ??? Lynch Coulthard
R Nank Martin Taranto
I/C Ryan Prestia

I would like to bring in James Jordan from Melbourne as a FA, can play mid or wing which I think suits us best. Would slot in in front of Kmac IMO above. We have Banks or Brown that can take the 7th defender. The forward line gives us options with MRJ (has it clicked?) but we could also look at Gresham from the Saints as an option forward.

I think a bold plan of trading out some depth players with a bit of value, and then packaging that value up to the Suns would work a treat.

Maybe something like Soldo to Port for 37, Hugo to the Giants for 47. Vlastuin to the Dogs for 16 (and we would need to give something back, maybe our 3rd (44).
Would give us 16, 25, 37, 47.

25, 37 and 47 add up to 1555. Gold Coasts 1st is currently Pick 4 (2034 so we'd need to add something to it), maybe a 2nd for next year?).

End up with 4 and 16 at this years draft but lose our 2nd next year, reckon the quality at that top end would give us 2 good players to place into that best 22. We still have quality in our team, but need to add a little bit of top end talent (and desire from a younger group) to take us forward.

• Wow
Reactions: 4 users
I’d much prefer we were able to concentrate on who we going to play in finals.
and who is likely to be back from injury for the finals.
Brady Bunch Jan GIF by MOODMAN

Personally I'm in the glass half full camp on the list, there are changes we need to make, but we hopefully will have Lynch and Gibcus back next year in full fitness, they are 2 that will straighten us up a lot, has it finally sunk in for the Sonz? Maybe, again could have a big impact on next season. Banks and Clarke will continue to improve and who knows what we get from Brown.

I think we need to be bold this year, but there is a lot of toys being thrown out of prams right now.

I look at our best 22 next year and try to fill the gaps. We do need some top 10 picks from somewhere to add that younger talent into these spots, but the team isn't like West Coast / North etc.

We have enough quality in the side to inject a few top line picks over the next few years and rebound quickly.
Personally think we need to look at what we can get for Vlastuin, I think the back end of the year he's probably been getting back to some of his best footy, but you need to give something to get something and we have Brown waiting in the wings who needs an opportunity to play, call it a list balance decision. I'd look to offload Hugo and Soldo too, and consider what we can get for Graham.

Our Best 22 team (with spots that are unknown right now shown) I think would be something like the below.

B Young Gibcus Broad
HB Rioli Balta Short
C Ross Hopper ???
HF Baker Bauer Bolton
F ??? Lynch Coulthard
R Nank Martin Taranto
I/C Ryan Prestia

I would like to bring in James Jordan from Melbourne as a FA, can play mid or wing which I think suits us best. Would slot in in front of Kmac IMO above. We have Banks or Brown that can take the 7th defender. The forward line gives us options with MRJ (has it clicked?) but we could also look at Gresham from the Saints as an option forward.

I think a bold plan of trading out some depth players with a bit of value, and then packaging that value up to the Suns would work a treat.

Maybe something like Soldo to Port for 37, Hugo to the Giants for 47. Vlastuin to the Dogs for 16 (and we would need to give something back, maybe our 3rd (44).
Would give us 16, 25, 37, 47.

25, 37 and 47 add up to 1555. Gold Coasts 1st is currently Pick 4 (2034 so we'd need to add something to it), maybe a 2nd for next year?).

End up with 4 and 16 at this years draft but lose our 2nd next year, reckon the quality at that top end would give us 2 good players to place into that best 22. We still have quality in our team, but need to add a little bit of top end talent (and desire from a younger group) to take us forward.
Well thought out piece

I'd look at Darcy Gardiner from Lions as a FA. Vlauistin, I agree also should be shopped