List Management 2023 | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

List Management 2023

The game v Port will give us a taste of what we might look like next year.

Wouldn't have been many times we have gone in without Jack or Lynch in the team over the past 5 years.

Bauer will be there, as will Cumbo. Will we plug Bradtke in there to see how he goes as the marking target?

Reactions: 1 user
Personally I'm in the glass half full camp on the list, there are changes we need to make, but we hopefully will have Lynch and Gibcus back next year in full fitness, they are 2 that will straighten us up a lot, has it finally sunk in for the Sonz? Maybe, again could have a big impact on next season. Banks and Clarke will continue to improve and who knows what we get from Brown.

I think we need to be bold this year, but there is a lot of toys being thrown out of prams right now.

I look at our best 22 next year and try to fill the gaps. We do need some top 10 picks from somewhere to add that younger talent into these spots, but the team isn't like West Coast / North etc.

We have enough quality in the side to inject a few top line picks over the next few years and rebound quickly.
Personally think we need to look at what we can get for Vlastuin, I think the back end of the year he's probably been getting back to some of his best footy, but you need to give something to get something and we have Brown waiting in the wings who needs an opportunity to play, call it a list balance decision. I'd look to offload Hugo and Soldo too, and consider what we can get for Graham.

Our Best 22 team (with spots that are unknown right now shown) I think would be something like the below.

B Young Gibcus Broad
HB Rioli Balta Short
C Ross Hopper ???
HF Baker Bauer Bolton
F ??? Lynch Coulthard
R Nank Martin Taranto
I/C Ryan Prestia

I would like to bring in James Jordan from Melbourne as a FA, can play mid or wing which I think suits us best. Would slot in in front of Kmac IMO above. We have Banks or Brown that can take the 7th defender. The forward line gives us options with MRJ (has it clicked?) but we could also look at Gresham from the Saints as an option forward.

I think a bold plan of trading out some depth players with a bit of value, and then packaging that value up to the Suns would work a treat.

Maybe something like Soldo to Port for 37, Hugo to the Giants for 47. Vlastuin to the Dogs for 16 (and we would need to give something back, maybe our 3rd (44).
Would give us 16, 25, 37, 47.

25, 37 and 47 add up to 1555. Gold Coasts 1st is currently Pick 4 (2034 so we'd need to add something to it), maybe a 2nd for next year?).

End up with 4 and 16 at this years draft but lose our 2nd next year, reckon the quality at that top end would give us 2 good players to place into that best 22. We still have quality in our team, but need to add a little bit of top end talent (and desire from a younger group) to take us forward.

The nucleus of the team I posted above is still relatively young with the vast majority under 27. Call it a reverse listbuild if you like, we have the other pieces of the puzzle and need to add a few stars to take us to the next level. Ie. we need the next Cotch / Dusty / Jack to propel the rest of the team up the ladder.

The above scenario would leave us with GC's 1st (currently 4 but I reckon will finish at 6) plus 16 from the Dogs. I know someone mentioned the possibility of gaining a salary dump from GWS for Haynes, I'm not sure we have the cap to cover it, but if we do it makes sense. Its only a 1 year salary dump but if it was Haynes and 9 for 16 and we take his salary, the Giants would only drop 7 spots, but for us it could be Caddy. If we could add Sanders / McKercher and Caddy its starts to mix the list up significantly. Add Kostchitzke with a future 4th and we are motoring along nicely with a reverse rebuild, which made me wonder. How many of those top draft picks would we need to add. We have Taranto (Pick 2), Hopper (Pick 7) and if we added say Sanders to that mix along with Bolton the midfield starts to look much stronger, Caddy is our Jack replacement and we already have a young enough defence with the players we already have.

Maybe a bold approach like this for 1 year, similar year next year with another draft pick 5-10 and then the year after is our significant jump? I'd still expect Lynch to be playing good footy by then and with the others maturing, personally I think this is the approach, as I said its a reverse list build.

When we built our premiership list, we got the 1st rounders in 1st and then build the other parts around them from around 2011 to 2016 and then added Prestia and Caddy, boom, premiership. We already have the cast around them, we need to add those 1sts, but how many do we need to propel is forward is the biggest question that needs to be asked.

Reactions: 1 users
I wonder what Dusty’s trade currency is. Maybe now is the time. Some clubs would give a heap for him, I’m guessing.

Hard calls need to be made simple as that delistings and trade bait.

New
Additions

Coulthard (mid season draft)
Trezise (mid season draft)

Gone already

Cotchin
Riewoldt
Castagna
Tarrant

I assuming two or three more will go. So who's in the firing line to be delisted?

Delisting candidates (won't all go obviously)
Ralphsmith
Nuyon
Mansell
Pickett (court case)
Miller
Colina

If we want to get back into the draft some big decisions will need to be made.

Trade candidates (won't all go obviously)
McIntosh
Short
Prestia
Graham
Martin
Cumberland
Ryan
Soldo
Dow

Busy off season for Blair coming up...

Reactions: 5 users
New
Additions

Gone already

Cotchin
Riewoldt
Castagna
Tarrant

I assuming two or three more will go. So who's in the firing line to be delisted?

Ralphsmith
Nuyon
Mansell
Pickett (court case)
Miller
Colina

McIntosh
Short
Prestia
Graham
Martin
Cumberland
Ryan
Soldo
Dow

We just have to be proactive.

I wouldn't hold my breath. Doubt he would want to leave and if he did clubs wouldn't give up anything more than a late first rounder at best IMO.
Nah. 1 x top 10 pick all day long, GC, GWS and Sydney would pay it in a heartbeat for what will definitely be 2 or 3, but could easily be 4 or 5 seasons of one the greatest ever players, probably the greatest ever finals player, then there is the marketing benefits. He is the type of player who will still contribute when old and slow.

I don't want him to go, but any thoughts of 'clubs wouldn't pay much' and Dusty are mutually exclusive.

Last edited:
New
Additions

Gone already

Cotchin
Riewoldt
Castagna
Tarrant

Ralphsmith
Nuyon
Mansell
Pickett (court case)
Miller
Colina

McIntosh
Short
Prestia
Graham
Martin
Cumberland
Ryan
Soldo
Dow

Gunna be interesting. I think we'll be looking to trade at least 1 player with decent currency, who I don't know, and another 1 or 2 OK players for pick upgrades. As always, will depend on a lot of different factors, mainly demand.

Gunna be interesting. I think we'll be looking to trade at least 1 player with decent currency, who I don't know, and another 1 or 2 OK players for pick upgrades. As always, will depend on a lot of different factors, mainly demand.
When was the last time we traded someone with currency that was a core part of the team. Cant think of one, Closest probably Higgins and he wanted to go as did Ellis

Those throwing up Vlastin, Nank etc. Its not really our style.

Cant see it happening

Reactions: 3 users
When was the last time we traded someone with currency that was a core part of the team. Cant think of one, Closest probably Higgins and he wanted to go as did Ellis

Those throwing up Vlastin, Nank etc. Its not really our style.

Cant see it happening
Lids

Hoping that Hugo might have some trade value rather than delisting him. Miller is still contracted, so Biggie might get delisted. Mansell showed some improvement so I would be ok if he is kept on the list.

I'm more in the glass half full side, so I think we need to be proactive to get up the board in order to get some of that higher ranked talent.

I've mentioned a few times, that it feels like this list build is more a reverse list build. Ie. when we built up our premiership winning team, we got the core building blocks first with high draft picks (Cotch, Jack, Dusty, Rance, Shedda etc) and then we built around that with the other picks for a number of years.

It feels like we are doing it backwards this time (and its what we need to do as we have been starved of those top draft picks) and have been picking up those players that fill in many of the gaps (or still have some from the premiership years with enough still in the tank) but just need to get a few more picks back in the top 10. If we can somehow wheel and deal our way into the top 10 this time (and there are several clubs we can go through to get there if we are proactive) then its what we need to do. We need to add that top end talent in the draft now.

I would even consider using our future 1st (to potentially downgrade next year to use it to get up this year) as I do feel we will be better next season.

What I would like to know is who is doing the exit interviews which in normal circumstances would be happening right now.

I assume its Blair and Tim.

Or are they waiting to hear from the prospective coaching candidates on what they think?

Reactions: 2 users
What I would like to know is who is doing the exit interviews which in normal circumstances would be happening right now.

I assume its Blair and Tim.

Or are they waiting to hear from the prospective coaching candidates on what they think?

Interesting question Smoker, like you I think Blair & Tim would be the logical ones. But surely a new coach would like to have some input into what sort of list they inherit.

Maybe that's why the club wants to have an appointment announced by the end of September.
There doesn't need to be any player delistings until after that time.

McIntosh
Short
Prestia
Graham
Martin
Cumberland
Ryan
Soldo
Dow

We have some of the biggest butchers (outside of the Meat industry), ToO.

Ergo,

You gotta keep Short! ;)

Talk of trading our future 1st and feeling like
I'm more in the glass half full side, so I think we need to be proactive to get up the board in order to get some of that higher ranked talent.

I've mentioned a few times, that it feels like this list build is more a reverse list build. Ie. when we built up our premiership winning team, we got the core building blocks first with high draft picks (Cotch, Jack, Dusty, Rance, Shedda etc) and then we built around that with the other picks for a number of years.

It feels like we are doing it backwards this time (and its what we need to do as we have been starved of those top draft picks) and have been picking up those players that fill in many of the gaps (or still have some from the premiership years with enough still in the tank) but just need to get a few more picks back in the top 10. If we can somehow wheel and deal our way into the top 10 this time (and there are several clubs we can go through to get there if we are proactive) then its what we need to do. We need to add that top end talent in the draft now.

I would even consider using our future 1st (to potentially downgrade next year to use it to get up this year) as I do feel we will be better next season.
Talk of trading our future 1st based on a feeling we will do better next season, or any other feeling for that matter, is just crazy.

The rest of it is not so crazy, in fact not crazy at all. Our objective should be the GC 1st rd pick and it would surprise if a significant level of discussion on that possibility, has not already began.

Prestia and Vlastuin's names will come up as Dima looks to add some talent and finals experience to a team, which has promised so much but has never played finals. He has said he will bring quick improvement and also stated that 80% of the clubs first premiership team are already on staff. He is going to add and the additions will include experienced and talented players on whom Dima knows he can rely.

Prestia and Vlastuin have been great for us, but we are a long way off and need to get some quality youth in, and the sooner the better.

Last edited: