Little things that annoy you.... | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Little things that annoy you....

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
Drove the Hume yesterday, my goodness the amount of texting drivers (the way they veer everywhere is the giveaway) is crazy. Even noticed a couple of truck drivers on their phones. There is going to be carnage soon.
A truck driver killed a woman late last year in Sydney, we was watching Big Bang Theory on his phone.

The M1 from Brisbane to the GC is the busiest in Aus, always pretty full, often jammed, 3 and 4 lanes, you have to concentrate. Often see a car start to drift out of its lane, surrounding cars adjust, with alarm. See it all the time, lot of near misses. At night you can see the glow of their phones leaning against the steering wheel, usually P platers. Once I saw a ute drift off the road and part way down an embankment, at 110km, he regained control, just, fishtailed back up and onto the freeway. He wasn't asleep.

It seems to have reduced, maybe, hopefully from camera monitoring and big fines. Was particularly bad 2012-2018. Back then you'd see it everytime, now its only sometimes.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: 1 users

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
A truck driver killed a woman late last year in Sydney, we was watching Big Bang Theory on his phone.

The M1 from Brisbane to the GC is the busiest in Aus, always pretty full, often jammed, 3 and 4 lanes, you have to concentrate. Often see a car start to drift out of its lane, surrounding cars adjust, with alarm. See it all the time, lot of near misses. At night you can see the glow of their phones leaning against the steering wheel, usually P platers. Once I saw a ute drift off the road and part way down an embankment, at 110km, he regained control, just, fishtailed back up and onto the freeway. He wasn't asleep.

It seems to have reduced, maybe, hopefully from camera monitoring and big fines. Was particularly bad 2012-2018. Back then you'd see it everytime, now its only sometimes.

if you have a crash whilst using your phone,

the law treats it the same as if you had 20 beers, or were going 150km/hr.

dangerous driving becomes aggravated dangerous driving.

its a good way to kill or maim yourself,

or kill or maim someone else

and do an unforeseen 10 years in the big house.

and did you know? every car with airbags has the equivalent of an aeroplanes flight recorder black box?

at the cars centre of gravity, which is usually below the rear vision mirror.

cops just plug it in, and pretty much know everything.

thats not a little thing, nor does it annoy me.

I was just sharing to maybe save a car crash

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017

I know a family whose son and girfriend were killed by a truck driver on his phone. Devastating for all.

• Sad

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
I know a family whose son and girfriend were killed by a truck driver on his phone. Devastating for all.

I imagine the trucky would do a minimum 8 years, more likely 15?

doesn't really help the family though.

Reactions: 1 user

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003

and did you know? every car with airbags has the equivalent of an aeroplanes flight recorder black box?

at the cars centre of gravity, which is usually below the rear vision mirror.

cops just plug it in, and pretty much know everything.

thats not a little thing, nor does it annoy me.

I was just sharing to maybe save a car crash
It depends who you are and how much money you've got easy.

• Wow

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019

odd response from the victim? he reckons a leg is worth $5K? seems cheap

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
odd response from the victim? he reckons a leg is worth $5K? seems cheap

$5,000 is what the judge fined the driver.

"Police prosecutors are arguing Dr Caffrey was distracted by her mobile at the time of the crash.

Detective Senior Constable Craig Kelly, of the Major Crash Unit, gave evidence of calls registered to Dr Caffrey’s phone from the night.

He said Dr Caffrey’s phone had made a 17-second call to her 16-year-old daughter Niamh Swingler’s phone at 7.15pm.

Det Sen Const. Kelly said Dr Caffrey’s phone received a five-second call from Niamh’s phone at 7.16pm, and then three missed calls from her at 7.17pm, 7.18pm and 7.19pm.

He also said a witness made the triple zero call about the crash at 7.16.58pm.

Det Sen Const. Kelly said he could not say whether conversations were had on the 17-second and five-second calls.
"

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
I imagine the trucky would do a minimum 8 years, more likely 15?

doesn't really help the family though.
It is still in court system. (about 4 years and counting) It's an ongoing nightmare for the family. Also devastating for his family. The mother had a nervous breakdown, is a broken woman. Had to relive some footage played in court, relive description of the injuries..they did not die immediately. Cannot imagine the pain.

• Wow

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne

Or who you hit.

This reminds me of the cyclist killed by a truck in Brisbane a few years ago, no jail time despite the fact the truck was attempting to pass without changing lanes (which is illegal, you cannot overtake another road vehicle without changing lanes, bicycles are road vehicles - there is an exception overtaking a bicycle if there is only one lane in the direction you are travelling but that was not the case in this incident).

Hit a cyclist and chances are you will be hit with a wet lettuce leaf if you're unlucky.

DS

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Heh heh heh. You ride a Penny Farthing too I reckon Davo.

No, I ride a custom made titanium bike :p but I digress. Although I write this while listening to a record and the amplification is supplied by an amplifier with vacuum tubes sticking out the top. Never streamed music in my life.

I find cash very convenient. I can drop it, it does not break. It works when the wifi is down. I don't have to online bank much, just withdraw from an ATM when I need a top up. It can't be hacked. All very convenient . . . and . . . I don't have to pay any surcharges.

DS

PS corrected your spelling it is Penny Farthing, farthing as in a quarter of a penny, aren't you old enough to remember that? I'm not!

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
No, I ride a custom made titanium bike :p but I digress. Although I write this while listening to a record and the amplification is supplied by an amplifier with vacuum tubes sticking out the top. Never streamed music in my life.

I find cash very convenient. I can drop it, it does not break. It works when the wifi is down. I don't have to online bank much, just withdraw from an ATM when I need a top up. It can't be hacked. All very convenient . . . and . . . I don't have to pay any surcharges.

DS

PS corrected your spelling it is Penny Farthing, farthing as in a quarter of a penny, aren't you old enough to remember that? I'm not!
That was IPhone pre-emptive text. Another annoying thing.

I suspect this is not an issue for you Davo. Land lines only for you I reckon.

1712297234642.jpeg

:ROFLMAO:

snags

Tiger Superstar
Oct 28, 2005
On the subject of dangerous driving. You wouldn't believe in the UAE, although seat belts are compulsory the majority will not wear them and its seldom policed. Doing the school run you will see children climbing on parcel shelves/dashboards or sitting up front on their parent's laps. You'll also see huge Nissan Patrols decide they want to drive on the wrong side of the road to avoid school traffic or kids left in a running vehicle while their parents are shopping. No one bloody indicates, I mean the vast vast majority don't! It's not safe on the road, but you learn to expect the unexpected and it becomes predictable.

artball

labels are for canned food
Jul 30, 2013
drivers that pull out in front of you with very little room and then take the next left ...

Reactions: 3 users

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
Or who you hit.

This reminds me of the cyclist killed by a truck in Brisbane a few years ago, no jail time despite the fact the truck was attempting to pass without changing lanes (which is illegal, you cannot overtake another road vehicle without changing lanes, bicycles are road vehicles - there is an exception overtaking a bicycle if there is only one lane in the direction you are travelling but that was not the case in this incident).

Hit a cyclist and chances are you will be hit with a wet lettuce leaf if you're unlucky.

DS
If it's the case I'm thinking of, yes the truck did the wrong thing, but the half baked council traffic regime allowed it to happen. It was really sad, the family were totally broken and confused, if they were functioning they should have lawyered up and sued. The BCC, rightly, would have been found negligent. Sad. The family just accepted the dodgy inquiry.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
If it's the case I'm thinking of, yes the truck did the wrong thing, but the half baked council traffic regime allowed it to happen. It was really sad, the family were totally broken and confused, if they were functioning they should have lawyered up and sued. The BCC, rightly, would have been found negligent. Sad. The family just accepted the dodgy inquiry.

Likely is that case, the truck driver should not have got off so lightly. Driving is a privilege and people need to take it more seriously.

Many complaints about driving in this thread, most of which I agree with. I've always thought we should, in Melbourne at least, put all learners in the front of a tram for a day to see just how silly and dangerous road conditions can be. Maybe then they might take driving more seriously. I drove trams decades ago and the things you see when driving for a living are astounding, especially when you are driving 40 tonnes with no steering. Unbelievable what people do and they seem to have no thought of the consequences - if I had hit some of the morons I managed to avoid they wouldn't have been very healthy after a tram slammed into them.

The one thing I would say to every driver - be predictable, that makes everyones' lives so much easier.

DS

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
Just went down the road to get the papers. Back street roundabout. Bloke in big SUV just drives straight through, no give way to the right, didn’t even look. Face just planted straight ahead. Not a single ounce of what’s a basic and fundamental driving requirement when entering a roundabout.

Lucky I was attentive and had time to jump on the brakes. I could see him speeding into the roundabout with zero awareness or care. Defensive driving.

What a ****.

Last edited:

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
Just noticed this on the Hun. This repetitive sh!t is one of the most stupid ads I've ever seen. Woolworths have the worst.

1712625943842.png