lol carlton | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

lol carlton

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
Was gonna say we need an lolcarlton thread with them being sucked in by the fill in coach.

To the Carlton Football Club and the North Melbourne Football Club, we hereby now declare the Ghost of Giesch to be upon you. Forever and always. For seasons to come. Amen.

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users

BrisTiger24

Out: Chimp In: Camel
Oct 16, 2003
Brisbane
Teague is far more qualified than Shaw. Teague has coached his own teams succuessfully and been around the traps for ages. Reckon he would have cringed at the *smile* coming out of Bolton's mouth.

Agree, I think he will do well. Shaw will be out the door in a few years #lolnorf

Reactions: 1 user

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
great bump (why is there no thumbs up emoji?)

however, i fear Carlton is really on the way up this time. top 8 darkhorse in 2020.

How much?? Dont get stooged. They have beaten no one.
They still lost to Melbourne
They wont come close
There season will be over before the bye?

lukeanddad

Tiger Champion
Nov 17, 2008
Hird? James Hird? Was he ever an assistant? After what happened at Essendon I wouldn't want him to coach an under 10 side.

Voss is massively overrated IMO. A champion player does not always make a great coach. He was just hopeless at Brisbane and what's to say he'd be much better now? Yeah he's gone away and got some more experience which obviously doesn't hurt but there are no guarantees he's the best choice available. By all reports his interviews at Carlton did not go well at all.

Teague has been in the system quite a while now and has been an assistant coach at Adelaide, Carlton and I think St.Kilda as well. He's also one of the few assistant coaches to have AFL Level 4 accreditation. He's had the grounding in multiple AFL environments and appears to have great people skills.

That said, I do agree that the process for both North and Carlton was poor. At least Carlton actually interviewed another person (Voss); North didn't throughout their "exhaustive" process.

I don't know if Teague's the right guy for Carlton; I don't really care as I can't stand that club. I just think the way he's handled the 9 week interim period has appeared to be first rate and I can understand why they've made the decision. I'm not sure the alternatives were any better.
All may be true, but weren’t there others to chat with? Sam Mitchell? Leppitsch?

The curse of the honeymoon. Couldn’t happen to a nicer couple of teams.

Reactions: 1 users

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Think Carlton is still a fair way off with natural progression. Mostly it was the old blokes who carried the side on Sunday. By the time the young brigade (i.e. younger then Cripps) are quality players, the old blokes will be done. They have a cavernous list gap between 23-28yo. Of course the development process could be accelerated with brown paper bags.

North is in no man's land as a mature team that didn't respond and got their coach sacked. Shaw is going to need to get more out of the same blokes, while tapping some veterans on the shoulder and developing youth. No quick fixes that I can see.

Both tough jobs, but Shaw's is tougher.

Last edited:

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
Think Carlton is still a fair way off with natural progression. Mostly it was the old blokes who carried the side on Sunday. By the time the young brigade (i.e. younger then Cripps) are quality players, the old blokes will be done. They have a cavernous list gap between 23-28yo. Of course the development process could be accelerated with brown paper bags.

North is in no man's land as a mature team that didn't respond and got their coach sacked. Shaw is going to need to get more out of the same blokes, while tapping some veterans on the shoulder and developing youth. No quick fixes that I can see.

Both tough jobs, but Shaw's is tougher.

North bottom 4 next year.
Carlton bottom 6 next year.
Only Ratten will improve stkilda

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
How much?? Dont get stooged. They have beaten no one.
They still lost to Melbourne
They wont come close
There season will be over before the bye?

Their midfield is cream. Moreso if they get Coniglio. Forward and backline are beginning to find their feet. Yes they have a few holes, but who doesn't? they are on the way up.

cagedtiger

Be Feared
Nov 19, 2004
Sydney
Teague is far more qualified than Shaw. Teague has coached his own teams succuessfully and been around the traps for ages. Reckon he would have cringed at the *smile* coming out of Bolton's mouth.
Not sure about that on Bolton with comments like this today from Teague on how to improve their game plan ""We've kept our focus pretty minimal. We want to add layers to it, but we don't want to over complicate either." If someone can decipher what this means in practice please feel free to share. Maybe he just needs time to shake off the Bolton school of communication first. At least he has not said 'green shoots' ...yet.

Baron Samedi

Tiger Champion
Apr 20, 2016
I reckon there’s something weird going on with Teague’s hair. Troubles me. Makes me uneasy.

Reactions: 1 users

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
Their midfield is cream. Moreso if they get Coniglio. Forward and backline are beginning to find their feet. Yes they have a few holes, but who doesn't? they are on the way up.

Curnow, Simpson, Thomas, Murphy all on the way out. Cripps is a gun. Walsh looking like he will be a gun. Coniglio would be a great addition but what do they have after that? No midfield depth. It's not the cream, it's the depth that makes you strong. I can't see it right now. Might make a good middle of the road side which will be a welcome relief for their supporters after so many years in the bottom 4 in the last 2 decades.

IanG

Tiger Legend
Sep 27, 2004
Melbourne
Article on the Carlton process, no mention of any other candidates. It also sounds suspiciously player driven. And another thing, on the selection panel was Board member and recruitment executive David Campbell. Is that the same guy who who was our CEO ever so briefly? If so how on earth is he still around the industry:

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
Shaw end 2022
Teague 2022

Your getting too excited little 4.
Besides Cripps and maybe Pickett there's not much there.
The carriage's on the Teague Train will be dislodged very quickly.
Shaw will break records that havent been seen before. He better hope the AFL schedules 22 games a dung hole stadium.
Because they wont win anything away from there.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Curnow, Simpson, Thomas, Murphy all on the way out. Cripps is a gun. Walsh looking like he will be a gun. Coniglio would be a great addition but what do they have after that? No midfield depth. It's not the cream, it's the depth that makes you strong. I can't see it right now. Might make a good middle of the road side which will be a welcome relief for their supporters after so many years in the bottom 4 in the last 2 decades.

If they get Coniglio then can see them bobbing up for a year like St.Kilda did in 2016. But they have similar list problems.

Dow and O'Brien haven't come on this year. Reckon it might be second-year blues, but there's a chance they're not that good. SPS has good skills but hasn't learned to hurt the opposition with them yet.

They have a pick around #8 or #9, and no second-rounder. Pretty sure they expected to jump up this season.

It's almost a given that they'll improve, but they need a lot of upgrades to make it sustainable.

Reactions: 2 users

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
To the Carlton Football Club and the North Melbourne Football Club, we hereby now declare the Ghost of Giesch to be upon you. Forever and always. For seasons to come. Amen.
I haven't got anything against Teague, but i've got a truck load of hate against Carlton, i really, really hope that Teague is their Giesch.

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
If they get Coniglio and regain Docherty, they will certainly start rising up the ladder next season.

But with the likes of Murphy, Kreuzer and Simpson near the end it might be too late.

Round 1 2020 will be a real danger game with the Tigers trying to hold off another Premiership Hangover

Bullarto Tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 17, 2012
If they get Coniglio and regain Docherty, they will certainly start rising up the ladder next season.

But with the likes of Murphy, Kreuzer and Simpson near the end it might be too late.

Round 1 2020 will be a real danger game with the Tigers trying to hold off another Premiership Hangover

Hopefully it's just the supporters and not the players with premiership hangovers next season.

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
I haven't got anything against Teague, but i've got a truck load of hate against Carlton, i really, really hope that Teague is their Giesch.
If we see a scoreboard on fire at a game of theirs, then this curse will definitely be working.