#lolNorf | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

#lolNorf

tigerhalsey

RICHOOOO What A Mark!!
Jul 28, 2007
Melbourne
So you are offered 2 years at a certain salary or 4 at a higher salary. Which would you take?
depends which organisation is better to work for.
You move for more money just to be unhappy to go to work, or take less money to work with an organisation where you are valued and treated above and beyond what is required.
I would take the less money everytime to be happy waking up and going to work every day

Reactions: 1 user

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
If you can find it, Ian, please ask for the merge. I thought it was called LOL Norf or similar and couldn't find it.
Think it was #lolnorf. If ever a club deserved that sort of nickname, it’s them. I’ve always found their handful of supporters very nasty towards us. It’s possible they resent our success more than any other team.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
depends which organisation is better to work for.
You move for more money just to be unhappy to go to work, or take less money to work with an organisation where you are valued and treated above and beyond what is required.
I would take the less money everytime to be happy waking up and going to work every day

Good answer. One issue with that though is that you have a short time in football and your career can end at any time due to injury.

Which do you take now?

And the employer who offers you the four years says - "we value you more than they do, we'll also give you more opportunities and fast track you into being a KPP in the club from game one next year".

Which job do you take now?

It's easy to say you are happy to forego around $1 million when it's not actually on the table.

tigerhalsey

RICHOOOO What A Mark!!
Jul 28, 2007
Melbourne
Good answer. One issue is that you have a short time in football and your career can end at any time due to injury. Which do you take now?

And the employer who offers you the four years says - "we value you more than they do, we'll also give you more opportunities and fast track you into being a KPP in the club from game one next year".

Which would help me the most post football career?
Would I have more opportunities with company A paying less money, but also setting up my life post football through branding and exposure or company B which pays more money now but then I have use all my money and power to try and build that myself?

If company A is paying me less money and only has so many years working for them, but said after you stopped working for us you will have so many more opportunities post them, I would still pick them I reckon. Person choice though, because you never see a sad person driving a jetski

tigerhalsey

RICHOOOO What A Mark!!
Jul 28, 2007
Melbourne
On your resume, does it look better if you say I have worked for Amazon my whole career earning less money rather then having GumTree, and 3 other companies where you get paid more?

TOT70

I'm just a suburban boy
Jul 27, 2004
Melbourne
Think it was #lolnorf. If ever a club deserved that sort of nickname, it’s them. I’ve always found their handful of supporters very nasty towards us. It’s possible they resent our success more than any other team.
During the ‘Send North to the Gold Coast’ era, Caroline Wilson wrote many articles supporting the move. As she was a Richmond supporter and daughter of a past President, many a North supporter transferred their hatred of her onto the club.

People are irrational at times like those.

Spook nailed all the other reasons.

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
Good answer. One issue with that though is that you have a short time in football and your career can end at any time due to injury.

Which do you take now?

It's easy to say you are happy to forego around $1 million when it's not actually on the table.
Yes, but you've also cost your employer $100,000 and put at risk tens of millions more for your entire industry, and despite that your employer not only didn't sack you, but offered you a reasonable contract extension.

Reactions: 2 users

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
Would I have more opportunities with company A paying less money, but also setting up my life post football through branding and exposure or company B which pays more money now but then I have use all my money and power to try and build that myself?

If company A is paying me less money and only has so many years working for them, but said after you stopped working for us you will have so many more opportunities post them, I would still pick them I reckon. Person choice though, because you never see a sad person driving a jetski
We have no idea what the discussions are so the above is just pure speculation and frankly rubbish.

Reactions: 1 users

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Yes, but you've also cost your employer $100,000 and put at risk tens of millions more for your entire industry, and despite that your employer not only didn't sack you, but offered you a reasonable contract extension.

He cost the employer $50K. Stack cost the other 50K. 2 years is reasonable, 4 years is twice as reasonable :cool:

On your resume, does it look better if you say I have worked for Amazon my whole career earning less money rather then having GumTree, and 3 other companies where you get paid more?

Strange comparison. For one, if you've played senior footy for two AFL clubs, which club you played for last makes little difference on your resume, as you are essentially changing careers post-football anyway. I know people here mock North but Richmond as Google and North as Gumtree is probably a tad exaggerated - the differences and relative opportunities aren't that extreme.

Again, I doubt the difference in business opportunities post-football would be that great. Dusty made the right decision - best player in the comp, Brownlow, 3 Prems and 3 Normies paid off big for him. For CJ, he won't have individual branding opportunities at either club, he's no Dustin Martin.

Time will tell - personally I'd back myself and take the greater salary, greater playing opportunities and longer contract at North. And I can't blame CJ for doing so.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
So you are offered 2 years at a certain salary or 4 at a higher salary. Which would you take?

Can't see where I commented on what I would do if I was CCJ.

But if I was CCJ I would want to make sure that the club that stood by me got a decent deal because I would go for the extra money. It isn't like I'll be working in the industry for the next 20-30 years, it isn't as if CCJ would get many promotion deals after footy (how many do? not many I can see - maybe as a zombie in a movie). Football players have short careers and the guaranteed money he is being offered from North is a no-brainer for him, but you should also make sure that those who have stuck their neck out for you are well looked after - I don't think that is too much to ask.

DS

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Can't see where I commented on what I would do if I was CCJ.

But if I was CCJ I would want to make sure that the club that stood by me got a decent deal because I would go for the extra money. It isn't like I'll be working in the industry for the next 20-30 years, it isn't as if CCJ would get many promotion deals after footy (how many do? not many I can see - maybe as a zombie in a movie). Football players have short careers and the guaranteed money he is being offered from North is a no-brainer for him, but you should also make sure that those who have stuck their neck out for you are well looked after - I don't think that is too much to ask.

DS

Agree on the deal aspect and CJ's management have stated they want Richmond to get a fair deal. Unfortunately that gets down to what Richmond and North can negotiate and CJ has no direct input into that process. That's all CJ can do and he's done that.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
CJ could stay if he feels the deal isn't fair. But then he'd need to be canonised.

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
I don't think there's any doubt, which is why I think the thinking he somehow owes the club is far-fetched.

The reason we didn't sack him is because we thought he was a good player who could help us be a better team and we knew if we did sack him someone else would draft him at the end of the year for free.
Probably right. But any club that drafted him after we'd sacked him wouldn't be paying him 4 x 450 on the back of one game in 2019.

Reactions: 3 users