Losing interest ? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Losing interest ?

And the commentators are god awful now. Can’t listen to them. Compared to overseas sports it’s completely amateurish.
The commentators are at the top of my pet hates.

The barracking by the likes of Huddo, McGuire et al; the arrogance mixed with buffoonery from clowns like BT; the general lack of insightful commentary (during a game).

A lot of it is cringeworthy and as you have stated comes across as amateurish.

Find a local footy team and put your money in there. Better contests, better day out, better for everyone.

Reactions: 3 users
I just did the afl membership survey a few days ago. One of the questions was would you recommend AFL membership to anyone. 10 years ago would have been a 10. Think I put 2 which then triggered they why did you put a score between 1-8.

my answer was basically the posts above. The game is *smile* to watch and unless someone is a club fanatic I couldn’t recommend the membership. Unless something is done the comp is sowing the seeds of its own doom right now. Kids aren’t interested.

I'm over it also. The boys club corruption, the deliberate targeting by the AFL to bring Richmond undone, the umpiring and the hate from the media (inc some of our own) has turned me off the game. I won't watch a game other than Richmond now and I rarely watch a full game uninterrupted anymore. I've found other things to do that are more enjoyable.

This is half the problem. We are continually trying to come up with ways of changing the game. You can tinker a rule here or a rule there but this game has had several years of major rule changes in which we are now left with a game that resembles basketball, NRL scrums and NFL plays. Cannot watch any games outside of the Tigers. The AFL peaked between the mid 80s to mid 90s. Was at its purest. Could easily watch 4-5 games a week. Had characters. Id tune in just to watch Hawks vs Essendon for the biff. Carey vs Jackovich dual. Ablett Srs freak show.
Now its a game filled with spoilt private school kids who's Daddy has a hand in them being drafted. So many natural talented kids never get a look in anymore as 90% of recruits come from the private schools. We have blokes coming from USA and getting on the list of a club like Collingwood. Imagine that happening 20 years ago. No chance.

A couple more years of this and the game will take a massive dive with no way of getting back.
Your point about the Carey v Jackovich duel and Gazza senior show.. Something the game has lost as a spectator. I watch our games but these tussles would make me watch all the other games. Nowadays there would be a free kick from every show of strength

I've been a keen football supporter for fifty plus years. I have watched a lot of different leagues and levels. I have watched my sons and their friends go through the development stuff. I have played myself and Umpired as well. I remember when Saturday at the football was a day out. But sadly I feel that a lot of people have lost interest. Sadly I have a bit. It's not a game I remember playing. Are we losing the game ?
Have gone to watching 9 games a weekend to watching one game , moved interstate and lost all interest. Even cancelled 4 x 3121 memberships
Had enough unfortunately. Better things to do in life that watching games of football with the umpire telling players “ stand “
Please spare me
Obviously I ain’t the only one as supporters have voted with their feet and aren’t attending

Reactions: 2 users
Your point about the Carey v Jackovich duel and Gazza senior show.. Something the game has lost as a spectator. I watch our games but these tussles would make me watch all the other games. Nowadays there would be a free kick from every show of strength
I decided to watch Derm's show on Wednesday night showing 80s/90s games and couldn't believe how clean the umpiring was.

Reactions: 2 users
Who watches other games just because of “Fantasy Football”???
An interesting experiment would be to cancel SuperCoach & Dream team for a year and see what that does to TV ratings.
I know I wouldn’t watch any other games outside Richmond if they did that.

Interesting point you bring up here Archy.

I reckon Fantasy Footy has long plateaued which can be obviously seen by the Prospectus no longer being on sale at shops and not much mention of it any more really.

I loved it but wasted way too much time on it.

Now I don't even give it a thought.

Yes the game isn't as enjoyable anymore. But we're also getting older with other responsibilities which could contribute to losing interest in every game.

I mean, do incontinence pants handle a full game with beers?

I've been contemplating this year whether I am losing interest in the game because the longer the season went the more I could see the end of our dynasty or because I have other things to occupy my time or because of the state of the game.

I think it is a combination of a level of satisfaction with finally witnessing a premiership or three and the state of the game, specifically the rule changes and inconsistent interpretations.

Walking to the Saints game it was the first time in as long as I can remember that I wasn't that fussed about the game, I've never felt this before and would religiously attend all Melbourne games no matter what prior engagements I may have had.

Have the Premierships impacted our passion too as long sufering Tiger supporters? It's a fair question. There would be at least a partial element to it.

Reactions: 5 users
Because it used to be an amateur sport where only 3 players in a team were fit enough to run all day.
I'm getting closer to thinking it might be time to get rid of the wings & go to 16 a side on field.
More fatigue. less congestion. Less collision injuries.
Strip the game right back to the basics to go with it.
Thanks Steven Hocking.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Use to watch every game of football these days only watch Our Games The Game i once loved has gone

That's absolutely the case I think, it has also influenced the general negativity towards the game seen in this thread in my opinion.

Ask a Melbourne or a Bulldogs supporter if they have lost interest and I reckon the answer would be firmly no.
I don't think so. Most here have lost passion for the AFL, not for the Tigers or Aussie Rules. I too stopped watching other games well before our obvious decline set in a month ago. I'm sure Melbourne and Bulldogs supporters aren't raving about the state of the game - they'd just be excited by their respective teams, as they should be.

The reality is that the AFL are a corrupt and inept organisation that have let the game go backwards under their watch.

Reactions: 3 users
I've maintained a long-standing membership but I haven't been to a game since the Grand Final in 2019, It is a rich tapestry of reasons why.

I think tribalism is disappearing due to corporate seating arrangements.
High definition tv and my wood heater.
Scheduling matches where you drive home in the dark is offputting.
No reserves before the main game.
Excessive PA announcements.
Bewildering umpiring of an ever-changing rules landscape.
Ridiculously high salaries of players while battlers throw in their hard-earned.
Many work early on Friday, Saturday, and Monday mornings.
Apathy and lethargy.

and Covid.

My passion is still there for the Tiges but not to the same extent. That is the problem.

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
Totally lost interest in the game due to rule changes like the statue on the mark. So un- Australian and a blight on the game.
Umpiring is atrocious. Push in the back no longer recognised and what the hell is prior opportunity all about? Wasn't around when I played.

How come you can run 20 to 30 Metres without bouncing,after a point is scored?
I'm surprised the centre bounce hasn't been replaced by one side kicking into its forward line ( at the start of the game by a toss of the coin) or the non scoring side after a goal.
Finally you shouldn't have a soft lefty PC administration running a contact sport . "Duty of care", equal opportunity, equal outcome. Just book your premiership year in
advance. Melbourne for the flag anyone?