Lynch !! | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Lynch !!

TigerMasochist said:
Can see this turning ugly in a few years time.
Short memoried footy fans will be all to happy if Lynch helps us win a flag or two at half price early in his tenure, but there's likely gunna be some bleating n moaning if he's struggling to perform in his later years on 1.5 mill per season.
Understand fully that clubs have to do some creative accounting at times to try n fit everything into a very small window of opportunity, but these things are often fraught with lots of pain n anxiety for the fans.

I can understand where your coming from, but if your comparing us to Sydney we are totally different.

We are going to loose a Tom Mitchell type (we have kept who we need)
When buddy went there they we earning overs for just being Sydney players, then the AFL back doored them and took away the leaving away from allowance.
Also there top 4-5 players were all young Hannebery, Parker, then you add Heeney and Mills. But they have 2 duds earning overs 750 Reid & 800 Tippett.
The players they lost because of buddy was maleski ( he was finished anyway) and Mumford big deal.

By the time lynch gets anywhere near 30, Cotchin, Rance Edwards and Jack will be gone. By then the TPP will rise again and a million will look like 600. Higgins and Balta will command more cash and the cycle will go on.

Getting lynch is a Success.

Leysy Days said:
Don't like reading that contract TBH.

Risky move backloading contracts. History is littered with them causing big issues.

Also means we are devilishly close to our cap and we can expect no-one on even half decent money to be coming in this trade period.

It depends if we need to do a rebuild or not over the next 5 years. If we do I can see us moving on a few of our older players like the Hawks and Saints have done to clear out space.

Leysy Days said:

Risky move backloading contracts. History is littered with them causing big issues.

Also means we are devilishly close to our cap and we can expect no-one on even half decent money to be coming in this trade period.

Very little risk, the salary cap will go up twice in that time and Rance, Jack, Cotch, Shedda will all be gone

Leysy Days said:

Maybe we need an extra half mil for Scully.

I reckon its a masterful contract. $900 a year for big tom is a steal. he will win 3 colemans and 3 flags in his stay.

:clap

H tiger said:
Another way of looking at it is that the RFC is backloading his contract so we can have a have enough to have a dip at one acquisition more during this off season. If we are off loading 7 salaries (Lloyd, Miles, Conca, CEllis, Wombat possibly BEllis and Towner) at an ave of 375 000 that's over 2.5 million. Maybe we are angling for 'big fish'?
also Jack and Rance re worked contracts. If Lynch is on $500k next year, seems like we Must have another line in the water for another decent sized fish

H tiger said:
Another way of looking at it is that the RFC is backloading his contract so we can have a have enough to have a dip at one acquisition more during this off season. If we are off loading 7 salaries (Lloyd, Miles, Conca, CEllis, Wombat possibly BEllis and Towner) at an ave of 375 000 that's over 2.5 million. Maybe we are angling for 'big fish'?

Thinking the same

ahyeahnah said:
Our guys are dealing with reality and Lynch knows that he is signing up for sustained success.

North and the Saints are dreaming and desperately grabbing at straws hoping that rolling the dice on B+ players will give them a glimmer of hope.

It says plenty about the integrity of our club and the calibre of player that we attract.
Norf & St Kilda reak of desperate, you can throw Ess/Haw/Carl into that list as well.

H tiger said:

I suspect the left over $ is for keeping guys like Vlastuin/Lambert etc who are up for new deals next yr.

Let's Not forget that by the time Lynch is earning the BIG $$ at the back-end of his contract (years six and seven) there is every chance a number of the current big-earners (Cotchin, Martin, Riewoldt, Rance, Prestia) will have already retired or be close to it.
That will leave RFC with a big chunk of money in its salary cap at that time.
In the meantime, just need a couple of ready-to-go midfielders and another ruckman (and the necessary luck along the way) to keep the Tiger dynasty rolling.
Astute drafting over the next two seasons will hold the Tigers in good stead.

MB78 said:
It depends if we need to do a rebuild or not over the next 5 years. If we do I can see us moving on a few of our older players like the Hawks and Saints have done to clear out space.
Guys like Jack/Cotch/Rance have had thier pay day, if they want to play on after these current deals they'll be taking less to do so. None of them will be short a $1m or 2 anyway

H tiger said:
If we are off loading 7 salaries (Lloyd, Miles, Conca, CEllis, Wombat possibly BEllis and Towner) at an ave of 375 000 that's over 2.5 million. Maybe we are angling for 'big fish'?
Apart from maybe Bobble, you're seriously deluded if you believe any of the other players are on $ 375 per year. The seven combined would be pushing *smile* up a hill with a pointy stick to be on $!.5 mill.

zippadeee said:
I can understand where your coming from, but if your comparing us to Sydney we are totally different.

We are going to loose a Tom Mitchell type (we have kept who we need)
When buddy went there they we earning overs for just being Sydney players, then the AFL back doored them and took away the leaving away from allowance.
Also there top 4-5 players were all young Hannebery, Parker, then you add Heeney and Mills. But they have 2 duds earning overs 750 Reid & 800 Tippett.
The players they lost because of buddy was maleski ( he was finished anyway) and Mumford big deal.

By the time lynch gets anywhere near 30, Cotchin, Rance Edwards and Jack will be gone. By then the TPP will rise again and a million will look like 600. Higgins and Balta will command more cash and the cycle will go on.

Getting lynch is a Success.
Hoping that getting Lynch is a massive success for us.
The issues that I have are more towards the performance capabilities of a player late in his career ( especially an injury prone or imported player ) on big dollars. There's always been the big dollar player who struggles to uphold his value in the last couple of years that fans tend to turn on n blame for restricting their clubs ability to move forward.
Bloke called Kouta fish heads was a classic example n I reckon Buddy will be another over the next few years.

TigerMasochist said:
Apart from maybe Bobble, you're seriously deluded if you believe any of the other players are on $ 375 per year. The seven combined would be pushing sh!t up a hill with a pointy stick to be on $!.5 mill.
Don't forget Hampson (and Griffiths?)

TigerMasochist said:
Apart from maybe Bobble, you're seriously deluded if you believe any of the other players are on $ 375 per year. The seven combined would be pushing sh!t up a hill with a pointy stick to be on $!.5 mill.

Tend to agree. These are base minimum wages in 2017 for:

* Third Year Plus - $105K
* First Round Darft Pick - $95K
* Rookie Players - $75K

Average per primary-listed player (excluding Rookie) - $371K

King Kong said:
Very little risk, the salary cap will go up twice in that time and Rance, Jack, Cotch, Shedda will all be gone

AFL deal already signed to 2022. In 2018 the salary cap was $12.6mill, by 2022 the cap goes up to $13.54mill so not a huge jump. Yeah those guys will be gone by then but you'd be hoping other guns would have stepped up by then demanding good dollars. With Dusty and Lynch on long-term contracts it does limit opportunities going forward to snag other high profile players. But I probably wouldn't have it any other way. Out window of opportunity for premierships is now. I suspect in 3 or 4 years that window will have closed.

Bullarto Tiger said:
Let's Not forget that by the time Lynch is earning the BIG $$ at the back-end of his contract (years six and seven) there is every chance a number of the current big-earners (Cotchin, Martin, Riewoldt, Rance, Prestia) will have already retired or be close to it.
That will leave RFC with a big chunk of money in its salary cap at that time.
In the meantime, just need a couple of ready-to-go midfielders and another ruckman (and the necessary luck along the way) to keep the Tiger dynasty rolling.
Astute drafting over the next two seasons will hold the Tigers in good stead.

Lynch is our marquee glamour power forward. He could be the best forward in the competition with our development and physical performance department getting him the best possible programme.
Strap in guys. 200cm hard leading pack busting contested marking beast.
Meanwhile Riewoldt gets off the leash. This is going to be fun.

Great thread. I think long gone are the Miller Wallace days where we managed to promise out a low second rounder for a half back from Footscray who it was later established had been delisted anyway. (Can't recall his name but he went on to kick an after siren goal for a win to us, in a game that Melbourne were later found to have conspired to lose)?
Blair Hartley with Luke Webster and co are a cut above.
I also think we are after a gun mid this year and look forward to finding out who it is. :clap

James said:
Great thread. I think long gone are the Miller Wallace days where we managed to promise out a low second rounder for a half back from Footscray who it was later established had been delisted anyway. (Can't recall his name but he went on to kick an after siren goal for a win to us, in a game that Melbourne were later found to have conspired to lose)?
I also think we are after a gun mid this year and look forward to finding out who it is. :clap

Jordie Mc ....... I don't want to say his name .... assuming you'll recognise it anyway

James said:

Bit harsh there. Cotchin and Rance arrived in that draft and we offloaded Mitch Farmer to Port. Still Callan Ward at that pick might have been nice.

Coach's pick for your mystery man. Don't think the recruiters were best pleased. i think they had targetted Scott Selwood from memory.