Making Their Mark (amazon doco) & One Night in Brisbane (fox/kayo) | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Making Their Mark (amazon doco) & One Night in Brisbane (fox/kayo)

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
Couldn't agree more. After spending 20 years in professional cricket and footy sheds, the answer to the inevitable what's it like in there question is exactly what you would expect. There's very little difference between the talk you hear in the Australian Cricket team rooms, an AFL club rooms and your local cricket or footy team apart from a little bit of technical stuff here and there and a lot of that is fluff.

For me, a good sports docu focuses on the raw stuff.
The Test was good because they showed some meetings uncut and the other side of something like the Smith head blow which was compelling viewing. The old lips of lethal ones were good too because it was just a straight unedited feed.

Hopefully the amazon ones will maintain the standard of the test but once you start seeing cut aways or heavy edit montages of coaches addresses it quickly loses the edge.

Yeah. Absolutely. Spot on.

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
Doubt we are giving much away Mr Burnside. In fact, the snippets and audio etc I've heard just aren't all that interesting to me - including that half time stuff from Dimma.

I know most people won't agree, but I find a lot this stuff (i.e. behind scenes dialogue) all the standard sort of stuff you've heard before either in any of the many other Amazon and Netflix docos or by playing team sports in clubs personally. It's all standard or expected dialogue to me. "Forwards move up the ground...have belief in yourselves...you write the story" yadda yadda yadda. Standard footy stuff. Same with the docos on Spurs, Jordan-Bulls etc. Guys arguing with one another in the club - standard. Highs and lows in the club - standard. This player is injured how do we replace him - standard. These docos traditionally show a lot of game footage, pressers etc that you've already seen too. Go over stuff you're already aware of. Maybe this one will be different. Dunno.

I'm maybe more interested in some of the personal journeys of some of the players outside of the club, and some of the decision making dialogue and what was behind those decisions. Hope we get a bit of that.
To grumpy ol Mr B theres still ears from outside the club hearing things we wouldn’t want other clubs to know about, people would have laughed at what was the key ingredient to our success in our 2017 pre season , look at us now.....give em nothing I say

Reactions: 1 user

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
To grumpy ol Mr B theres still ears from outside the club hearing things we wouldn’t want other clubs to know about, people would have laughed at what was the key ingredient to our success in our 2017 pre season , look at us now.....give em nothing I say

How do you know we aren't giving them the wrong stuff, or stuff we've long moved on from and is out of date ?

You worry too much Burnside. No wonder you've got the yips.

Streak

Tiger Legend
Aug 31, 2007
Western Australia

I hear you Mr B but that is almost the beauty of what we do.

It is fine for people to know everything about us and they way we go about it. I am sure the other clubs already know everything. Really, it is a pretty simple song book to learn. We don't have outrageously intricate or difficult plans that require elite skills (although that helps with any football strategy). But if it was that easy, everyone would be doing it, and none are. Everyone knows what we are going to deliver, and when we deliver it they can't handle it.

That is for one reason IMO. Our players truely believe in our system 100% of the time. They understand their role, and the execute it. They do what is required for the team out there, at their own cost a lot of the time, all of the time. In turn, they know what their team mates will do for them and how they will do it.

Reactions: 5 users

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
I'm going to break ranks and give up the secret to our success to the other clubs.

We bought players to our club who turned into excellent footballers and who gelled together in the right combination to become a great team.

Feel free to copy that at your leisure.
Not sure it’s quite that simple.

actually that’s a bit insulting to Peggy and Benny

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
There are enough players at other clubs now that the ingredients aren't a secret. It's how they're cooked.

Adelaide - Stengle
Carlton - Moore
Collingwood - copied practically everything
Essendon - Caracella, Rutten, Richardson
Fremantle - Conca
Geelong - Grigg
Gold Coast - lots
Hawthorn - McRae
North - Menadue
St.Kilda - Butler,. Higgins
Bulldogs - Lloyd

Synergy between the players makes us more than the sum of the parts.

Reactions: 4 users

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
There are enough players at other clubs now that the ingredients aren't a secret. It's how they're cooked.

Adelaide - Stengle
Carlton - Moore
Fremantle - Conca
Geelong - Grigg
Gold Coast - lots
Hawthorn - McRae
North - Menadue
Bulldogs - Lloyd

Hear ! Hear R2D2 ! Game changes so fast now that what was in vogue at Richmond one year, might not be the next. Some stays consistent for sure...but we keep adapting and changing as we need.

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang

Adelaide - Stengle
Carlton - Moore
Fremantle - Conca
Geelong - Grigg
Gold Coast - lots
Hawthorn - McRae
North - Menadue
Bulldogs - Lloyd

The thing is LTRTR it’s not just the players that make this club successful, I know it’s not a big thing at all, I just wouldn’t give the opposition clubs anything at all.

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Shouldn't you have been Superman walking IN ?
No, I was drunk at the time, I walked in feeling like Eddie Charlton, which would explain why I had a couple of games of snooker first.
I couldn't make up mind between the pink and the brown:peepwall:help

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 1 users

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
The thing is LTRTR it’s not just the players that make this club successful, I know it’s not a big thing at all, I just wouldn’t give the opposition clubs anything at all.
I know what you're saying but I don't think we've been too open about it. Not in a "Look how smart we are!" way, anyway.

Konrad Marshall's written three books and they haven't caught us yet.

Reactions: 1 users

seven

Super Tiger
Apr 20, 2004
But speaking on ‘One Night in Brisbane’ – a 90-minute feature on Grand Final night 2020 to air on Fox Footy at 7.30pm (AEDT) on Thursday evening – Hardwick revealed Scott classily walked in to the Tigers’ coaches box after Riewoldt’s set-shot to concede defeat and congratulate staff on a third flag in four seasons.

“As a coach you never really know (when you’ve truly won a game). But what I will say is after (Riewoldt’s) goal, Chris Scott came into our coaches’ box and congratulated us, which was incredible,” Hardwick told Fox Footy’s ‘One Night in Brisbane’.
I think the assistants had packed up at this stage, but I’m still going: ‘Listen you blokes, we’re still — Oh Chris!’ He just congratulated us and said ‘great game’.

“It was such a class act by such a classy guy, really.”

Reactions: 2 users

seven

Super Tiger
Apr 20, 2004
But speaking on ‘One Night in Brisbane’ – a 90-minute feature on Grand Final night 2020 to air on Fox Footy at 7.30pm (AEDT) on Thursday evening – Hardwick revealed Scott classily walked in to the Tigers’ coaches box after Riewoldt’s set-shot to concede defeat and congratulate staff on a third flag in four seasons.

“As a coach you never really know (when you’ve truly won a game). But what I will say is after (Riewoldt’s) goal, Chris Scott came into our coaches’ box and congratulated us, which was incredible,” Hardwick told Fox Footy’s ‘One Night in Brisbane’.
I think the assistants had packed up at this stage, but I’m still going: ‘Listen you blokes, we’re still — Oh Chris!’ He just congratulated us and said ‘great game’.

“It was such a class act by such a classy guy, really.”
Dimma missed a prime opportunity there.
Should have extended his hand and as Scott moves forward to shake it, pulls his hand back and laugh “Ha! Just like your team... too slow!”
“Later loser. I’ve got a cup to hold up”

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users