Matt Coulthard | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Matt Coulthard

im coming around to the idea of a kid playing his first game as a sub. No matter what; he will get game time- usually late in the 3rd- if not before due to a minor injury... but imagine the ROAR the kid will get when he stands up on the side-lines to prepare to run onto the MCG for the first time in front of his family and a big crowd... i really hope the Tiger army can give the young fella a huge welcome ROAR as he does his sub-ready-to-go warm-up on Saturday!

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 8 users
Maximum kicking distance on early views looks about 40m, anything beyond expect him to try and pass off.
The first training session I saw he already ran better leading patterns than most of our other smalls, if nothing else that should open up a bit of space for others to drop into.
Aerobically good and leads high and doubles back so in time can see him featuring as an important cog in chains of play.
At present low numbers in VFL so not expecting anything more than a glimpse of AFL traits for his debut.

• Love
Reactions: 17 users
Maybe it was The CoalTrain on the phone to MRJ?

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
I was off the understanding he does have an afl tank? Am I missing something? Gps figures off the charts?
The games I’ve seen of him I was surprised with his tank. Repeat representations on the wing and great patterns at speed. I didn’t have tank concerns either.

Tell me a sub this year who hasn’t actually played?
yep; exactly. i'd say the club have a plan in place here. and will execute the plan (ie: Plan A might be a taller back off for Coulthard with Baker going back at the 12 minute mark of the 3rd term) if there are no injuries before-hand. Most clubs would be using the Sub in a tactical way like this in their pre-game planning; after trialing different ideas for the sub over the first 18 rounds of the season. Plans would be in place for several scenarios with a "Plan for the worst- hope for the best" kinda way.

Last edited:
Well done to Coulthard, he looks like a good prospect. A shame Tom is out injured, would love to see the Colt crumbing to him and Jack.

Reactions: 3 users
I just watched the video of Mat calling Tom, what a ripping kid he is. As excited to be making his debut as anyone that I can remember.

• Love
For 75 years blokes would have debuted as the 19th or 20th man. There'd be blokes in the 80s and maybe even 90s who spent the first 3.5 quarters of their debut on the pine.

Hope the kid gets at least a quarter to tear in and rip it up.

Reactions: 4 users
im coming around to the idea of a kid playing his first game as a sub. No matter what; he will get game time- usually late in the 3rd- if not before due to a minor injury... but imagine the ROAR the kid will get when he stands up on the side-lines to prepare to run onto the MCG for the first time in front of his family and a big crowd... i really hope the Tiger army can give the young fella a huge welcome ROAR as he does his sub-ready-to-go warm-up on Saturday!
*start a tradition of the Tiger Army;- that we love to see a player make his debut as a SUB; and we ;as a home-crowd will let him know how proud we are as supporters to see him in action- is a standing ovation too much?! lol... just to give the kid a real Tiger welcome! ... and it encourages our coaches to try a new player as the SUB over the next 3-4 games/years- and show to the world the Tiger Army are a special crew... spread the word for Coulthard's first warm-up run post removal of the SUB t-shirt tomorrow!

Reactions: 1 user
For 75 years blokes would have debuted as the 19th or 20th man. There'd be blokes in the 80s and maybe even 90s who spent the first 3.5 quarters of their debut on the pine.

Hope the kid gets at least a quarter to tear in and rip it up.
Not a debut - but as many are aware Mike Green won his first flag with Richmond on the bench in 1967 - and didn't get any playing time at all.

Reactions: 1 user
Incredible story, playing local footy 12 months ago. We desperately need his skill set.

But this lad has already won. Stuff of dreams. Bring your razzle.

Reactions: 8 users