Maurice JNR | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Maurice JNR

Tony Braxton-Hicks

There are no stupid ideas, just stupid people
Aug 10, 2004
The Playboy Mansion
Kayo had the 86 State of Origin on yesterday (probably still there) and Maurice Sr was a standout in the first quarter (all I watched). It also featured Flea, Michael Mitchell and some others with Tiger heritage.

Reactions: 1 user

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
Maurice Rioli Junior kicked 4 goals last night in a best on ground performance to help St Mary's upset Nightcliff and get them into the NTFL Grand Final.

Nightcliff 2.1-13 5.5-35 10.10-70 11.11-77
St Marys 5.1-31 10.2-62 12.5-77 16.7-103

St Marys

Goal Kickers: J. Calder 5, M. Rioli Jnr 4, R. Smith, J. Paine, J. Salmon, N. Yarran, S. Rioli, S. Edwards, H. Labastida

Best Players: M. Rioli Jnr, L. Daly, R. Smith, J. Paine, J. Calder, T. Saunders

https://websites.sportstg.com/round_info.cgi?a=MATCH&fixture=125516952&c=0-2860-0-534191-0&pool=1001

• Love
Reactions: 8 users

TrialByVideo

HailBGale!
Mar 1, 2015
Thanks for the reminder @Smoking Aces

Maurice Rioli Junior kicked 4 goals last night in a best on ground performance to help St Mary's upset Nightcliff and get them into the NTFL Grand Final.

Nightcliff 2.1-13 5.5-35 10.10-70 11.11-77
St Marys 5.1-31 10.2-62 12.5-77 16.7-103

St Marys

Goal Kickers: J. Calder 5, M. Rioli Jnr 4, R. Smith, J. Paine, J. Salmon, N. Yarran, S. Rioli, S. Edwards, H. Labastida

Best Players: M. Rioli Jnr, L. Daly, R. Smith, J. Paine, J. Calder, T. Saunders

https://websites.sportstg.com/round_info.cgi?a=MATCH&fixture=125516952&c=0-2860-0-534191-0&pool=1001

Streak

Tiger Legend
Aug 31, 2007
Western Australia
Kayo had the 86 State of Origin on yesterday (probably still there) and Maurice Sr was a standout in the first quarter (all I watched). It also featured Flea, Michael Mitchell and some others with Tiger heritage.

Was that the game where, despite our hopeless VFL team, we actually had both State of Origin captains, Maurice and Flea?

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Lost the phoomph hair n losing the little boy physique. Lots of miles to go yet before he reaches AFL size n maturity, but at least there's a hint of Rioli talent to work with.

TrialByVideo

HailBGale!
Mar 1, 2015
From Gilligans website. ..... this academy *smile* is just that! Ffs.... Essendon!

Rioli is eligible to join Richmond, Fremantle or Essendon via the draft but has previously indicated his desire to play in yellow and black.

larabee

Tiger Champion
Jun 11, 2010
Tigerland
Interesting to see number 23 for Nightcliff is Brodie Filo, Dustin's best mate growing up and son of Derek Filo who is a Bendigo Footy League legend.

He was a better player than Dustin but was a bit more wild and never managed to get it together. Had a stint with Peel Thunder and Freo were interested until they found out how loose he was off the field.

Since then he has won league Best and Fairests all over the place, including NTFL, last I heard he won one and fell off the stage when he was accepting and copped a fine.

In this era of Pickett and Stack he may well have been the sort of player who got a crack at the big time, could have been anything.

And yes, I did say better than Dusty!
Mid season draft written all over him!

Dont Argue

Tiger Legend
Jun 26, 2018
Re: Maurice Rioli junior [merged]
« Reply #164 on: Today at 05:59:38 PM »

WATCH: Father-son prospect Rioli dazzles with four goals

By Mitch Cleary
afl.com.au
2 March 2020 3:00pm

ANOTHER final, another Rioli best-on-ground.

Richmond father-son prospect Maurice Rioli jnr, 18, delivered a sharp reminder as to his credentials for this year's NAB AFL Draft on Saturday night.

The son of the late 1982 Norm Smith medallist dazzled with four goals for St Mary's in their semi-final win over Nightcliff to book a berth in the Northern Territory Football League Grand Final.

Rioli is eligible to join Richmond, Fremantle or Essendon via the draft but has previously indicated his desire to play in yellow and black.

His father played 118 games for the Tigers and 168 for WAFL club South Fremantle, meaning the talented small forward qualifies for Richmond and Fremantle as a father-son.

Essendon also has ties to the Tiwi Islands as part of their Next Generation Academy zone.

Rioli has followed in cousin and 2015 Norm Smith medallist Cyril's footsteps by boarding at Scotch College in Melbourne.

The youngster also has a close bond with cousin and Richmond premiership player Daniel, the pair having also spent time together at the Tigers.

Maurice Rioli jnr is the nephew of former Essendon player Dean and is related to West Coast premiership forward Willie Rioli and St Kilda defender Ben Long.

He is expected to play for the NT Thunder in this year's NAB AFL Under-18 National Championships.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/380864/watch-father-son-prospect-rioli-dazzles-with-four-goals

Dont Argue

Tiger Legend
Jun 26, 2018
"Unbelievable" son of a Richmond gun stars in St Mary's NTFL finals win

By Andrew Slevison
SEN
2 March 2020

The Rioli name is synonymous with big finals performances.

The latest in a long line of Riolis, Maurice Jnr, lived up to the family ethos with a significant showing in the NTFL semi-final on Saturday night.

The 17-year-old son of Richmond legend Maurice Snr kicked four goals and was named best on ground as St Mary’s defeated Nightcliff by 26 points to progress to the NTFL Grand Final.

It was a performance that will certainly have Tigers fans even more hopeful as they continue to anticipate his potential move to Punt Road as a father-son selection.

Maurice Jnr admitted to the NT News that it was one of his best performances in a St Mary's jumper.

“Yeah, I’d say that, I got a bit of the footy in one of my best games for Saints,” he said.

“I reckon my pressure is my main strength, pressure around the ball and on my opponent and things generally happen from there.”

And what would the late, great Maurice Snr be feeling?

“And I know my dad is looking down on me, I think he’d be proud of me,” he added.

SEN Breakfast’s Garry Lyon saw some of the replay on TV and was suitably impressed by Rioli Jnr’s ability.

“The rest of the competition might have to pull their socks up if what I saw yesterday transfers into the draft,” Lyon said.

“Maurice Rioli Jnr flashed in and out of my TV screen every couple of minutes doing something unbelievable.

“Doesn’t he look good. Unbelievable.”

St Mary’s return to the top has been quite remarkable given they were wooden spooners for the first time in club history last season with just five wins.

This season they mustered 14 home-and-away wins, being the only team to beat Nightcliff, before again knocking off the Tigers to progress to the decider.

However, their fall to the bottom last season was an aberration as they have won 32 premierships since entering the competition in the 1950s, with their most recent flag coming in 2017.

The 2020 NTFL Grand Final between St Mary’s and the winner of next weekend's Nightcliff v Southern Districts prelim takes place on Saturday, March 14.

ESDqDxpVAAADHmW

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2020/03...chmond-gun-stars-in-st-marys-ntfl-finals-win/