Maurice JNR | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Maurice JNR

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
The body shape is so different to 12 months ago. Imagine in 24 months.

Cert to be there next year. Get excited.

Reactions: 3 users

larabee

Tiger Champion
Jun 11, 2010
Tigerland
Re: Maurice Rioli junior [merged]
« Reply #164 on: Today at 05:59:38 PM »

WATCH: Father-son prospect Rioli dazzles with four goals

By Mitch Cleary
afl.com.au
2 March 2020 3:00pm

ANOTHER final, another Rioli best-on-ground.

Richmond father-son prospect Maurice Rioli jnr, 18, delivered a sharp reminder as to his credentials for this year's NAB AFL Draft on Saturday night.

The son of the late 1982 Norm Smith medallist dazzled with four goals for St Mary's in their semi-final win over Nightcliff to book a berth in the Northern Territory Football League Grand Final.

Rioli is eligible to join Richmond, Fremantle or Essendon via the draft but has previously indicated his desire to play in yellow and black.

His father played 118 games for the Tigers and 168 for WAFL club South Fremantle, meaning the talented small forward qualifies for Richmond and Fremantle as a father-son.

Essendon also has ties to the Tiwi Islands as part of their Next Generation Academy zone.

Rioli has followed in cousin and 2015 Norm Smith medallist Cyril's footsteps by boarding at Scotch College in Melbourne.

The youngster also has a close bond with cousin and Richmond premiership player Daniel, the pair having also spent time together at the Tigers.

Maurice Rioli jnr is the nephew of former Essendon player Dean and is related to West Coast premiership forward Willie Rioli and St Kilda defender Ben Long.

He is expected to play for the NT Thunder in this year's NAB AFL Under-18 National Championships.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/380864/watch-father-son-prospect-rioli-dazzles-with-four-goals
Mitch needs to do some research.
MRJ is Dean's cousin, as well as Cyril and Willie, and second cousin to Dan (Dan is MRJs cousin Bradleys son)
Also nephew of Michael Long

Other than that, great stuff!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Tigerfan

Roar Power
Apr 28, 2004
Gold Coast (SE - QLD).
Saw his 4 goals on afldotcom and I know he kicked 4 goals but three of them were covered in luck.

One or two of them was a shonky Mis-kick.
but his first kick and goal was quite a good connection and showed good goal sense.
he slapped the ball down, caught it on the bounce and snapped it through from about 30.

From what i observed the kid moves at speed.
he’s got a footy brain for sure.

ironically he was carving up a team playing in richmond gear.

Tigerfan

Roar Power
Apr 28, 2004
Gold Coast (SE - QLD).
The body shape is so different to 12 months ago. Imagine in 24 months.

Cert to be there next year. Get excited.
He looks athletic.
more work to be done.
we’ll land him but he won’t cost us a first rounder unless he really explodes in the next 6 months.

Like Naish, the Other clubs will know he’s richmond bound.

Jonesracing82

Tiger Champion
Sep 30, 2011
From Gilligans website. ..... this academy *smile* is just that! Ffs.... Essendon!

Rioli is eligible to join Richmond, Fremantle or Essendon via the draft but has previously indicated his desire to play in yellow and black.
He may be eligible but he gets to nominate his Club so we get 1st crack

Reactions: 1 user

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
I still think Jnr is being overhyped by the media, yes we will draft him but because of his name we will be forced to pay a 40% premium ;)less our 20% F/S discount.

As for his change in body shape, damn the RFC dietician for reducing his girth but increasing his value.

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
I still think Jnr is being overhyped by the media, yes we will draft him but because of his name we will be forced to pay a 40% premium ;)less our 20% F/S discount.

As for his change in body shape, damn the RFC dietician for reducing his girth but increasing his value.

He's a Rioli, the offspring of the best one. We will take him.

I keep thinking about Daniel as the comparison. Didn't really look like it then made a late charge.

Tiger Superstar
Feb 28, 2008
Saw his 4 goals on afldotcom and I know he kicked 4 goals but three of them were covered in luck.
Agreed.
Gaddy Lyon's "unbelievable" comments were unbelievably OTT.

Also agreed.
A Rioli double-dose is simply impossible to resist.

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019

One or two of them was a shonky Mis-kick.

yeah I thought it was one of the worst 4 goal highlight reels I've ever seen.

looked more like Jason Castagne Jr.

the pace is exciting but

Reactions: 1 users

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
2 impressive plays -
- the slap down and snap goal
- the tackle at full pace in the fwd line

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
2 impressive plays -
- the slap down and snap goal
- the tackle at full pace in the fwd line
He looks ok,
Both very good, but his kicking is all over the joint.
You won't kick many goals like the one that took a left break.

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
Interesting to see number 23 for Nightcliff is Brodie Filo, Dustin's best mate growing up and son of Derek Filo who is a Bendigo Footy League legend.

He was a better player than Dustin but was a bit more wild and never managed to get it together. Had a stint with Peel Thunder and Freo were interested until they found out how loose he was off the field.

Since then he has won league Best and Fairests all over the place, including NTFL, last I heard he won one and fell off the stage when he was accepting and copped a fine.

In this era of Pickett and Stack he may well have been the sort of player who got a crack at the big time, could have been anything.

And yes, I did say better than Dusty!

VFL mightve been worth a shot if his rep is so bad then others would likely stay clear so if the magic Richmond dust stuck on him then we'd have no competition.

ToraToraTora

Two outta three ain't bad.
Mar 21, 2005
QLD
Interesting to see number 23 for Nightcliff is Brodie Filo, Dustin's best mate growing up and son of Derek Filo who is a Bendigo Footy League legend.

He was a better player than Dustin but was a bit more wild and never managed to get it together. Had a stint with Peel Thunder and Freo were interested until they found out how loose he was off the field.

Since then he has won league Best and Fairests all over the place, including NTFL, last I heard he won one and fell off the stage when he was accepting and copped a fine.

In this era of Pickett and Stack he may well have been the sort of player who got a crack at the big time, could have been anything.

And yes, I did say better than Dusty!

Just did a bit of research on this guy and watched some vids. Gee whiz could been anything. Clearly AFL level balance and skills . Burnt a few bridges at multiple clubs.

Rfc4Ever

Tiger Legend
Oct 5, 2007
Still think we trade out our 1st rounder this year. Another club is sure to spite us with an early bid.