McLachlan. ..... G.O.N.E. | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

McLachlan. ..... G.O.N.E.

TrialByVideo

HailBGale!
Mar 1, 2015
Press conference shortly!

There was a time when I reckon we needed Benny to take over... now I think he's on a hiding to nothing, unless of course they try and parachute that complete knucklehead Hocking back to HQ!
On Travis Auld..... he completely stuffed the start up of Gold Coast. ... so obviously he's eminently qualified now.:rolleyes:

Last edited:

graystar1

Tiger Legend
Apr 28, 2004
AFL chief executive Gillon McLachlan will step down from the role at the end of this season.
It is understood McLachlan will announce the move at a press conference with AFL chairman Richard Goyder at 11.30am.
McLachlan had made clear in recent months he was happy in the role and keen to get the league back on track as it exited two painful seasons of Covid-interrupted football.
But McLachlan will move on after taking over the role in April 2014, having secured a significant legacy in his time in charge.
McLachlan fast-tracked the AFLW competition which will grow to 18 teams by August as well as navigated the Covid storm while ensuring games were played in 2020 and 2021.
He also helped underpin the game’s finances as the league borrowed against their investment in Marvel Stadium to ensure no club went under despite the disastrous first season of Covid.
He told the Herald Sun earlier this year he would know when it was time to move on.
“One day I will wake up and feel it’s time and who knows when that is?’’
“Our finances are going to be fine, we’ve got no debt, and we’ll make a good profit this year, so we’ve got through the financial element. Now it’s investment decisions to make around players, clubs, game development, infrastructure, and they will be made.

“And it’s just getting the confidence back in the game. We’ve got to get people going again and we’ve got to get people playing again. We’ll have a good indication next week. We have to get out of our 5km bubbles and get back to the things that make this city, this country, our game great.’’

Richmond chief executive Brendon Gale would be the early favourite from club ranks to take over from McLachlan, with AFL executive Travis Auld also a contender for the job.
Clubs would want someone from clubland to succeed McLachlan given the lack of AFL experience on the AFL commission, with Gale’s impeccable resume and strong moral compass his chief virtues.

Reactions: 1 users

King Kong

Tiger Legend
Aug 26, 2016
Fallen on his sword. About *smile* time.

Bring in Benny and pee off all of Gilligan's stupid rules, sycophant mates and corruption

• Love
Reactions: 2 users

Leysy Days

Tiger Legend
Feb 26, 2004
As much as Benny would help change the boys club at AFL headquarters, would much rather Benny stays with us.

He is the single most important person in the club to navigate our path forward ILO.

Reactions: 30 users

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
He's probably got a decent bonus kicker trigger on attendances. Knowing that attendances are not going to recover, he's walking out.

As much as I'd hate to lose Benny, the game needs him in the top job. We'd have Cain Liddle as someone to succeed Benny and hold the job until Daniel Jackson is ready

Reactions: 3 users

BrisTiger24

Out: Chimp In: Camel
Oct 16, 2003
Brisbane
Great news. *smile* off Gil. Bring in someone that governs our game for the people not the ego of themselves and the media

• Love
Reactions: 8 users

Dev Tiger

Tiger Superstar
Mar 15, 2014
I hope we don't loose Benny. It wouldn't be good to loose Peggy and Benny at the same time. They have been so critical in our success.

Reactions: 7 users

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
The AFL needs a shake up, they need people from outside their in group to look at everything with fresh eyes.

The game is not in great shape as the crowds show, but it is not in bad shape which is also shown by the crowds. A breath of fresh air is what is needed.

I have never liked McLachlan really but I'll give him credit for getting the AFL through COVID and actually having 2 affected seasons decided. It would not have been easy. Sometimes it is the person who got you through a crisis who really has to go to renew the organisation after the crisis.

DS

Reactions: 7 users

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
Must be an impending scandal around the corner or he’s been given some real bad forecasts/numbers on the state of the game the next few years.

Reactions: 4 users

King Kong

Tiger Legend
Aug 26, 2016
Typical Gilligan - he insists on everyone standing still while he walks

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
Dunno why everyone goes on about Gale being the next AFL CEO. The AFL don’t like him. He’s been a thorn in their side numerous times.

Reactions: 12 users

King Kong

Tiger Legend
Aug 26, 2016
Must be an impending scandal around the corner or he’s been given some real bad forecasts/numbers on the state of the game the next few years.
I reckon the poor crowd numbers and TV ratings this year have meant he was tapped on the shoulder and told his time is up. Channel 7, MCC, Marvel et al would all have been campaigning for him to go as they know all of his rules, mates and particularly him are not liked by AFL public and its hamstringing the games recovery post COVID

Reactions: 2 users

King Kong

Tiger Legend
Aug 26, 2016
Dunno why everyone goes on about Gale being the next AFL CEO. The AFL don’t like him. He’s been a thorn in their side numerous times.
That's true but the Clubs, MCC and Ch7 all want him in the seat. If they don't get that assurance then Goyder will go very soon also.

The AFL commission might think they are making this appointment right now but in the end money talks and that's who always makes these decisions

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Yep.

The AFL, being the organisation that they are will fill probably fill the position internally. Wouldn't surprise me if they don't even advertise it.