McLachlan. ..... G.O.N.E. | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

McLachlan. ..... G.O.N.E.

Pushed for sure. If he resigned he would have leaked it beforehand to control the narrative.
WHy do you think he has been pushed? Pretty popular with the media who rarely challenge anything he does? Jackson, Oakley got a much harder time with Demetriou somewhere in between.

Reactions: 1 user
The AFL needs a shake up, they need people from outside their in group to look at everything with fresh eyes.
Yeah they need it but they don't want it and they won't do it.

Benny is the best person for the job, but I'm with Leysy, I'd rather we keep him and they find someone half competent to run the league.

Reactions: 2 users
WHy do you think he has been pushed? Pretty popular with the media who rarely challenge anything he does? Jackson, Oakley got a much harder time with Demetriou somewhere in between.
I've never known an unplanned exec exit to be anything other than a sacking.

The game is arguably at its lowest point for public engagement in our lifetimes.

Why is the Frontbar so popular? Because its guests are the hero's / villain's when the game was adored.

Now we are sitting back waiting for the next stupid *smile* rule or crony appointment and rightly skeptical about the integrity of any of the clowns at AFL house.

Reactions: 8 users
As much as Benny would help change the boys club at AFL headquarters, would much rather Benny stays with us.

He is the single most important person in the club to navigate our path forward ILO.

Correct. Our concerns should be Richmond primarily, and then the health of the competition. It will be an internal appointment, either Andrew Dillon or Travis Auld. Benny is more good here, than he is fighting a losing battle at AFL house.

Also, the comments about clubland are right re preferring Benny and they all have for some time. The issue is HQ and the Commission want someone who is part of their inner circle.

Correct. Our concerns should be Richmond primarily, and then the health of the competition. It will be an internal appointment, either Andrew Dillon or Travis Auld. Benny is more good here, than he is fighting a losing battle at AFL house.

Also, the comments about clubland are right re preferring Benny and they all have for some time. The issue is HQ and the Commission want someone who is part of their inner circle.

I'll say it again. It will be the execs at Channel 7 and Foxtel that'll decide who gets the job. If they aren't happy the TV rights deal will be half what they're currently paying and the game will be on its knees

Reactions: 3 users
I'll say it again. It will be the execs at Channel 7 and Foxtel that'll decide who gets the job. If they aren't happy the TV rights deal will be half what they are currently paying the the game will be completely f'd

And who has been front and centre re TV rights deals at the AFL? Dillon and moreso Auld. Will be one of those two imo.

Reactions: 1 users
Press conference shortly!

There was a time when I reckon we needed Benny to take over... now I think he's on a hiding to nothing, unless of course they try and parachute that complete knucklehead Hocking back to HQ!
On Travis Auld..... he completely stuffed the start up of Gold Coast. ... so obviously he's eminently qualified now.:rolleyes:
I’ve met Auld. He is an incredibly uninspiring individual. He’s nothing more than an accountant

Yeah I don't think he's been pushed. He'll go off into the sunset and collect board appointments like Demetriou for minimal work. And because he seems to have more of a brain than Demetriou, I doubt it will blow up in his face quite as spectacularly.

And who has been front and centre re TV rights deals at the AFL? Dillon and moreso Auld. Will be one of those two imo.
Dillion won't get it. He prefers to keep a low profile which is impossible for the CEO role. Watch his efforts reading out the drafted players. F me Ch7 will go into meltdown if he has to read out the Brownlow votes.

Auld is the only genuine internal candidate but he lacks experience. With the game at the cross roads it needs the most experienced person for the role.

Ch7 will want the person who can promote the game the best, win back public confidence and return crowds and TV audience. It will be Benny take it to the bank

I hope there's a journo at the press conference with the courage to ask him whether he thinks it's about time that the CEO's position is filled by someone from outside the AFL's boys club.

Reactions: 3 users
Dillion won't get it. He prefers to keep a low profile which is impossible for the CEO role. Watch his efforts reading out the drafted players. F me Ch7 will go into meltdown if he has to read out the Brownlow votes.

Auld is the only genuine internal candidate but he lacks experience. With the game at the cross roads it needs the most experienced person for the role.

Ch7 will want the person who can promote the game the best, win back public confidence and return crowds and TV audience. It will be Benny take it to the bank

Benny has clubland experience and AFLPA experience. Auld has both clubland and head office experience. I'd be shocked if the latter wasn't preferred based on that.

The time is right for Benny to run the whole show. What he at achieved at Tigerland has been nothing short of amazing.

However the bigger picture is the continued expansion of AFL at all levels. Womens and International expansion/exposure just two of the many areas which demand vision, time and money. No other club CEO has the same skill set and experience as our Benny so it’s best for the game overall.

I’ve followed AFL and NRL for 60 years and am passionate about both games. But AFL needs to lift its game even further to match the momentum Peter V’landys is building out of what was previously a basket case. (If anyone doubts his abilities just look how he transformed NSW horse racing). The strongest possible competition between the two codes will be fantastic.

Just heard the news Victoria has won the rights to host the 2026 Commonwealth Games with an emphasis on regional sporting locations. AFL should grab any opportunity to improve facilities for future growth. Again, look at what Benny and Richmond have built at Punt Road.

Will be interesting to see who they appoint. I have absolutely no faith in the commission, they just seem to do nothing. In fact, we can start with the CEO replacement and then something needs to be done about the Commission, they are a waste of space at the moment.

There is a clear need for someone outside the current boys' club to take over but I am not convinced that will happen.

DS

Thanks Gill, I guess..

Not sure why he gets so much praise for leading the league through two Covid affected years. Realistically, what options did they have other other than to push through? Have the whole league go bankrupt?

I want Benny to stay with us and I doubt he'd take on this massive job. Also agreed with the reporter on SEN saying there's been (and still is) too many quiet fights between us and the league (so it is happening!!). Should be between Auld and Dillon I'd say. We could go from Gill the Dill to Dill the Dill.

If SHocking is given the spot (which I doubt), I will officially resign as an AFL supporter.

Screw CH7, is they wont front the cash for the TV rights, CH9/Foxtel or someone else will pick up the rights.

• Love