McLachlan. ..... G.O.N.E. | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

McLachlan. ..... G.O.N.E.

If Dillon or Auld get the job we're in for the same cr@p that we've had for the last 9 years. The AFL Commission boys club just continues.

We all know that Benny would be far better for the game, but we all know the AFL Commission don't want him in the job.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm hoping Brendon doesn't sully his reputation by even 'going through the process' again.
IIRC he's said of the previous time he knew McLachlan had the job, but was asked by a member(s) of the commission to throw his hat in the ring.

Did he do that to assist the league in portraying a pseudo, rigorous selection process or for the experience?
Regardless of his reasons, I hope that same person(s) is still on the commission and has the decency to give him the early mail..... don't bother!
Yeah that’s gonna be interesting. The AFL will wanna be seen to be looking at the people everyone thinks they should definitely be (eg Gale even if they have no intention of appointing him), but if he decides to not play the game and be part of the process, it’s maybe gonna have some blowback for the AFL.

Could see Wilson getting some mileage out of a situation like that eg “Gale refuses to waste time dealing with AFL boys club” sort of stuff.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
My definition of gambling is where the house has an advantage. Spec shares and crypto currencies are highly speculative and highly manipulated by financial institutions. Only way to win is buy low and sell high. Easier said than done.
I now trade shares for a living after owning my own business for 30 years and am under no illusions that I am purely gambling with my capital.
Ok but ”investing” in derivatives, options or crypto backed assets is at least more socially responsible than playing the slots. For Christ’s sake you can buy them from Commonwealth Bank and I bet no one would be against them as a sponsor (great colour match!)
My point is simply crypto.com is a good sponsor that we shouldn’t be comparing to slot machines in a dingy pub being played by a poor mum using her child’s college money. Sure crypto can be volatile but so are penny stocks.

Once again, there is never a better speaker - with less ego - than our Peggy. She is an absolute legend.
Check out the article with her in today's Age talking about the Gil successor and Brendan.

Link here: https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl...gale-but-there-s-a-catch-20220413-p5ad94.html

In particular, her quotes below exactly summarise the AFL's narrowness, and frame it as a challenge to them to do better.

Peggy:

“I think if you make the pool wide enough, there will be an equal number of meritorious people no matter what the gender,” she said.

“In every business, you look for someone like the person stepping aside and that is often too narrow so I would hope that there is an extensive search and more lateral thinking.

“It’s like what they used to say about presidents: do you have to have come from a sporting background to be a president? Do you have to have played at the highest level to be a CEO? I think you need to have knowledge or acquire that knowledge but I think the skills are skills applicable to most businesses.

“Businesses all the time look outside (the organisation). The CEO jobs, top jobs or chairman, they don’t go to internal candidates. You need to go to the market and see what is out there even to test the proposition of your internal candidates.

“You need to be sure you have exhausted your search of the pool of talent and rather than wait for people to apply to go out and find people that might be suitable.

She is simply outstanding Peggy.

Reactions: 13 users
Once again, there is never a better speaker - with less ego - than our Peggy. She is an absolute legend.
Check out the article with her in today's Age talking about the Gil successor and Brendan.

Link here: https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl...gale-but-there-s-a-catch-20220413-p5ad94.html

In particular, her quotes below exactly summarise the AFL's narrowness, and frame it as a challenge to them to do better.

Peggy:

“I think if you make the pool wide enough, there will be an equal number of meritorious people no matter what the gender,” she said.

“In every business, you look for someone like the person stepping aside and that is often too narrow so I would hope that there is an extensive search and more lateral thinking.

“It’s like what they used to say about presidents: do you have to have come from a sporting background to be a president? Do you have to have played at the highest level to be a CEO? I think you need to have knowledge or acquire that knowledge but I think the skills are skills applicable to most businesses.

“Businesses all the time look outside (the organisation). The CEO jobs, top jobs or chairman, they don’t go to internal candidates. You need to go to the market and see what is out there even to test the proposition of your internal candidates.

“You need to be sure you have exhausted your search of the pool of talent and rather than wait for people to apply to go out and find people that might be suitable.

Would love to see her in the role if only just to watch the reactions from handbaggers supporters

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Anyone hear Eddie McGuire?

Along the lines “this time we need someone who understands football and get it back to it grassroots “
Other words that not fan of Gill, which I agree with.

Was surprised that Gill teared up during his press conference, was he tapped on the shoulder? It's understandable that retiring or de-listed players get emotional, but I don't get why Gill would.

I despise some of the rule changes, especially the Stand rule, and dislike how clubs had their soft cap reduced due to COVID breaches, breaches that in some cases were virtually impossible for them to prevent

I will give Gill some credit on his management of COVID, it has been said that he was putting in 20 hour days for a while.

If his resignation is because all those hours and stress has caught up with him and his family, then I thank him for ensuring that the 2020 season :cupgold and 2021 season were completed and wish he and his family all the best.

Reactions: 4 users
I agree with you Niko on Whately being somewhat a mouthpiece. And I didn't watch it (I cant stand the show and dont watch any of them or listen), but can exactly see in my mind's eye, the Nonchalance you are referring to. Because that's how he has always spoken over the years on so many things when he knows he has nailed the AFL thinking. I believe you totally about how he would have come across. He's getting even more arrogant these last few years too.

But I'm not sure I agree it's either A or D. It is 100% not Benny for sure. I'd cut off my limbs if it was Benny, I am that certain he wont be.

Dillon is too quiet for the job so Auld is more the natural successor. But it may *smile* off too many. Internally, it wouldn't be great either. Neither are the 'natural' successor Gil was over his decade supporting the fraud, Demetriou.

And I reckon the commission knows there'll be even more aggro with the clubs etc if it is an automatic internal bloke again. They may surprise and I am picking an outsider to the AFL. Just not Benny.

The clubs will do as they are told, like they always do.

They have no power and they know it.

3/4 are living off the AFL handing them life support Bob

All IMHO

Interesting on Gill, thought he was largely outstanding in the job overall.

Saved the game through COVID which was no mean feat.

Only knock on him was the appointment of Hocking and the amount of power he gave him, and the lack of accountability to Hockings role.

The mandate was to increase scoring, and Hocking changed rules, and changed the fabric of the game, mad ultimately reduced scoring, probably the worst appointment in the history of the AFL IMHO

Reactions: 8 users
As much as I don't like saying it, looking at the bigger picture for me means that the future of AFL needs to be in Gale's hands. Installing another corporate schmuck as CEO could well be the ruination of footy for the people.
Don't want to lose Gale. He's been mighty for RFC, but the AFL needs a Richmond Man at the wheel, now more than ever.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
Only knock on him was the appointment of Hocking and the amount of power he gave him, and the lack of accountability to Hockings role.
Don’t forget AFLX.
Hate to think how much money was pissed down the toilet for that load of crap.

The China experience with Port has pointless.

Wet tissue approach to Essendrugs scandals.

Peggy:

That is a big whack to the AFL. It shouldn't be, this stuff is basic good governance, but it is a massive whack. They have successfully narrowed the frame, via the boys club media, to a couple of insider hacks and Benny, and we all know Benny won't get it, not an insider and too much integrity. Wow a woman as AFL CEO, or maybe a bloke who isn't an ex-VFL player in a suit who already works there, what a crazy thought (sarcasm alert). Get into 'em Peggy.

Reactions: 4 users
The clubs will do as they are told, like they always do.

They have no power and they know it.

3/4 are living off the AFL handing them life support Bob

All IMHO
Yes, Niko I agree. The Clubs have no power - and they know it. And they hate that.
Which is why they want a Benny-type from Clubland, b/c they know he will be sympathetic to their side. Something they dont have, and havent had for ages.
So, yes, they do as they are told. Even worse, they dilute their power base by fracturing into mini groups, the powerful/wealthy vs less wealthy. Idiots.

But sometimes, you have to throw the plebs a bone. And the AFL know it. Even the cynics amongst them know it I think.

The more they treat clubs with contempt - and they have done under Demetfraud/Gil times, sometimes you have to be seen to be supportive. This 'appointment' is one of those times. It wont be BG, but it wont be the 2 x internals either.

Reactions: 1 user
They have resorted to giving away free tickets. And I thought the A League was a basket case.

Crowd numbers at their lowest since 1995 according to data published in the HUN. You reap what you sow.
And he gets to walk away at the end of the year with no recourse and reputation in tact.
Criminal what this game has become under his watch

Reactions: 7 users