Mid season draft. | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Mid season draft.

WesternTiger

Tiger Legend
Nov 7, 2004
LeeToRainesToRoach said:
Apparently some players that clubs are keen on for the mid-year draft are ineligible, because the AFL's rules say eligible players must have nominated for last year's national draft. The AFL is reviewing the rules and may grant "special exemptions" according to a (paywalled) HS article that's just gone up.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/more-news/midseason-draft-prospects-could-have-their-afl-dreams-dashed-because-of-eligibility-rules/news-story/06a4adfe787370fb7cf586d894aa1fde

Obviously Collingwood have their eye on someone who isn’t eligible...

fastin bulbous

Tiger Champion
Mar 30, 2010
Darwin
Dimma sounded like we are on for the mid season draft. When asked what kind of player we’d be looking for he said ‘a good one’. I like the attitude. Use it as a ‘free hit’ opportunity to draft the most talented player possible to enhance our list. I’m pretty excited to see how we use our pick(S) and whether we stick Rance on the LTIL prior and grab 2 guns.

(Wish you were here bully)

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
fastin bulbous said:
Dimma sounded like we are on for the mid season draft. When asked what kind of player we’d be looking for he said ‘a good one’. I like the attitude. Use it as a ‘free hit’ opportunity to draft the most talented player possible to enhance our list. I’m pretty excited to see how we use our pick(S) and whether we stick Rance on the LTIL prior and grab 2 guns.

(Wish you were here bully)
Yep, there’s still (and always will be) good players who can make the transition from state leagues to AFL. Why not use the opportunity to try and nab one before the November draft(s).

fastin bulbous

Tiger Champion
Mar 30, 2010
Darwin
I’m a little pissed off that we gave Arts a rookie spot ahead of marsh. Can’t afford to be too sentimental with list management.

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
LeeToRainesToRoach said:
Apparently some players that clubs are keen on for the mid-year draft are ineligible, because the AFL's rules say eligible players must have nominated for last year's national draft. The AFL is reviewing the rules and may grant "special exemptions" according to a (paywalled) HS article that's just gone up.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/more-news/midseason-draft-prospects-could-have-their-afl-dreams-dashed-because-of-eligibility-rules/news-story/06a4adfe787370fb7cf586d894aa1fde
Was anyone surprised, shocked and amazed that the corporate *smile* wits in suits managed to *smile* up another whizz bang good idea? Lucky I was already sitting down eating my Willie Weeties when I read the article this morn, nearly fell off my chair at the shock horror of such a mesmerising display of incompetence.

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
LeeToRainesToRoach said:

Could you post the article??

leon

Tiger Legend
Apr 6, 2014
fastin bulbous said:
I’m a little p!ssed off that we gave Arts a rookie spot ahead of marsh. Can’t afford to be too sentimental with list management.

Yes, and now Marsh selected for his first senior game with Aints. Who knows if he'll step up to AFL level again. But did we really need to rookie another SF bit player? Or another back-up defender?

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
If there's no mature aged players deemed suitable, a good strategy would to draft a young player who missed out on last years draft.
There would be a few players who were close last year who have improved, a perfect opportunity to get them into our system and see how they go.

tigertim

Mar 6, 2004
In the ideal world we’d draft our VFL backman Hugh Beasley. Has experienced AFL footy, has been at Richmond for 3 seasons and would know the “Richmond way”. But unfortunately he’s a bit of a plodder and VFL is his level.

Willo

Tiger Legend
Oct 13, 2007
Aldinga Beach
tigertim said:
In the ideal world we’d draft our VFL backman Hugh Beasley. Has experienced AFL footy, has been at Richmond for 3 seasons and would know the “Richmond way”. But unfortunately he’s a bit of a plodder and VFL is his level.

;D
Sounds like you're at cross purposes there Timmy.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Brodders17 said:
Could you post the article??

They usually get moved if not posted on the Journo's board.

Mid-season draft prospects could have AFL dreams dashed due to ‘unknown’ eligibility rules

The AFL dreams of dozens of players are in limbo because of confusion over eligibility rules for the mid-season draft.

All players hopeful of being picked up must have nominated for last year’s national draft.

But several would-be AFL players failed to do so and some believed their previous nomination was valid for three years.

A little-known criteria change enforced in 2017 means all players must now nominate annually.

West Adelaide late developer Elliot Dunkin, who is averaging 19 disposals in the SANFL, is on the radar of one AFL club but he is ineligible because he didn’t fill in last year’s form.

Other prospects new to the VFL, SANFL and WAFL this year are ineligible because they didn’t bother nominating last year when they were starring in country leagues with no hope of an AFL career.

The AFL will now consider granting special exemptions for prospects who have been left devastated by their current ineligibility.

The league must decide between breaking their own rules or leaving a bunch of young footballers devastated.

The late uncertainty means clubs are still unsure who they can draft on May 27.

“No other sport in the world operates like this,” one club figure said.

“Rules on the run … again.”

Football boss Steve Hocking has told disgruntled player managers he will look into the “anomaly”.

A memorandum sent to clubs by AFL integrity officer Ken Wood, and obtained by the Herald Sun, reveals players put on rookie lists this month will bank $70,000 without playing a game.

The battlers will receive a base salary of $50,000 plus a further $20,000 if they are not retained on any AFL list in 2020.

They will pocket about $4500 a match, spiking potential earnings to around $150,000 for four months of work.

Clubs do not believe Sydney has priority access to Kyle Dunkley as a father-son, but there was no official clarification in Wood’s rules.

Kurt Tippett is poised to sign a retirement form, giving the Swans a pick.

Dunkley completed a VFL pre-season with Footscray and is averaging 18.5 disposals, eight tackles, 4.5 clearances, 1.3 goals and 123 SuperCoach points as a 19-year-old for Gippsland Power.

The hard worker, and brother of premiership Dog Josh, is a being considered by some clubs.

Recruiters will exploit the concept, affecting an already-lean talent pool in 2019.

They want to get the jump on November’s national draft by pumping six months of development into teenagers such as Dunkley or Mitch Riordan (Dandenong Stingrays).

But the AFL wanted clubs to grab, for example, a mature ruckman if they had lost multiple big men.

State-league players are unlikely to make an impact in 2019 given their lower fitness bases and requirement to learn new game plans.

Players cut at the end of the season will become delisted free agents. They have until 5pm tomorrow to nominate online.

The AFL will run medical tests on May 22 and the draft will be run in reverse ladder order after Round 10.

Most clubs are set to use a pick.

THE AFL’S MEMO TO CLUBS

Please note that nominations for the 2019 Mid-Season Rookie Draft open at 9am (EST) on Monday 29th April and close at 5pm (EST) on Friday 3rd May.

All nominations are to be completed online only. Please note that Draft Nominations for the Mid-Season Rookie draft DO NOT carry over to the 2019 NAB AFL Draft.

Player Eligibility to Nominate

The following eligibility criteria applies to Players nominating for the Mid-Season Rookie Draft:

• Players must have previously nominated for the most recent National Draft

Note: A Player who nominated for and was not selected during the Draft and who has committed for a further year as a 19-year-old Northern or NGA Academy Player is an exception and is not eligible for selection in the SSP

OR

• Players must have previously been on the list of an AFL Club (not required to nominate for the previous Draft) refers to the following situations: o A Delisted Player

Note: A Player delisted by a Club cannot be reselected in the 2019 Mid-Season Rookie Draft by the same Club in the period immediately following their delisting.

• A Retired Player and/or a Player who has delisted himself and has not been on an AFL List for one Football Year or more. Eg, Cyril Rioli retired in 2018, and therefore is not eligible to be selected in the 2019 Mid-season Rookie Draft as he did not nominate for the most recent National Draft.

footballmonk

Tiger Matchwinner
Oct 7, 2008
AFL site has linked us to Marlon Pickett from South Fremantle. 27 so would certainly be in immediate contention.

tigertim

Mar 6, 2004
footballmonk said:
AFL site has linked us to Marlon Pickett from South Fremantle. 27 so would certainly be in immediate contention.
Yeah, just read that. Surprised, thought we’d be after a KP tall like Corey Gault who can also ruck.

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
If looking for someone who might be able to have an immediate impact i'd rather Jye Bolton.

If we go with the strategy of getting someone to have a look at, ie a trial for next year i'd like Tristian Hobley or Jack Mayo.

Hobley has a similar story to Jack Ross, missed the state side, but dominated the wafl under 18's, and is killing it this season.

https://www.wafl.com.au/player/tristan-hobley

https://www.wafl.com.au/player/jack-mayo

tigertim

Mar 6, 2004
There’s 22 players named to undergo a medical screening. Do I assume these are the 22 “most likely” to be drafted? Surely all 22 can’t be injured, why would you bother mid season drafting an injured player.

Ray Connellan, 22 formerly St Kilda, now Essendon VFL.
A AJang, 22, 198cm, East Perth
Frank Anderson, 21, 185cm, Northern Blues
Daly Andrews, 19, 183cm, Western Jets
Josh Deluca, formerly Dockers, 22, 181cm
Lochie Dickson, 24, 190cm, Coburg
Kyle Dunkley, 19, Gippsland
O Eastland
Corey Gregson
Brady Grey
Mitch Hibberd,
C Hirst
Sam Lowson
L Hosie
J Mayo
Declan Mountford
Marlion Pickett, 27, 183cm, Sth Fremantle
J Noble
M Nunn
Jarvis Pina, 18, 176cm, Peel thunder
M Riordan, 19, 187cm, Dandenong stingrays
ADam Tipungwuti ,

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
We seem to be being linked to Pickett and Dunkley. Another couple of mids wouldn't go a miss.