Midfield Depth | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Midfield Depth

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
He's overrated if you still subscribe to the 2019 view that he's a top-5 player in the comp.

He would improve our midfield and we can potentially get him as a free agent. You'd be bringing in a rising 27-year-old quality ball-user who averages 24 touches a game over his career. We could teach him to play forward-ball instead of defensive side of the pack sweeper. I thought he was good last night.

He'd have to take a pay cut, but there aren't many other options to bring in a senior talent.

It would be a move to extend our current window. The other option is to accept it's closing and use our draft wealth on the next generation.
No way he'll let go a million dollars a year to come to us for 650

Reactions: 2 users

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
Reckon Zac Merrett is getable if the bombers bomb out again.

Dyer'ere

Licensed to kazoo
Sep 21, 2004
J W Kelly is a back-of-the-pack mid. Good skills but has to kick around the body too often because slow and not nimble. Not enough line breaking.

Has good values for a GWS player. But footy wise he's nothing special. Lotta supercoach points. Classic overrated Giant. Nobody watches em. We just read the Supercoach points.

Bont is a champion with a big chink in the armour. Low BWA. Can be denied the ball.

Merrett often demonstrates poor values. But he's brisk and works all game for space. If he can be coached he has the most upside IMO.

Tom Green? Third rounder.

Tigers2011

What did I miss dad?
May 6, 2007
Mt Waverley, Victoria
First thing we need is to get a full VFL season into our younger players to see who can play & who can’t. Our list needs regeneration in the next 1-2 years, so before we trade low picks for ready made players, let’s make a call on what we have first.

Tigers2011

What did I miss dad?
May 6, 2007
Mt Waverley, Victoria
First thing we need is to get a full VFL season into our younger players to see who can play & who can’t. Our list needs regeneration in the next 1-2 years, so before we trade low picks for ready made players, let’s make a call on what we have first.
Once the VFL does start in earnest, we should only reward young players with AFL games on merit of performance (unless AFL injuries hit, then games will be given out of numerical necessity).
Was silly in my view to throw those two young players in Martyn and Mansell to the wolves against Pt Adelaide away.

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
J W Kelly is a back-of-the-pack mid. Good skills but has to kick around the body too often because slow and not nimble. Not enough line breaking.

Has good values for a GWS player. But footy wise he's nothing special. Lotta supercoach points. Classic overrated Giant. Nobody watches em. We just read the Supercoach points.

Bont is a champion with a big chink in the armour. Low BWA. Can be denied the ball.

Merrett often demonstrates poor values. But he's brisk and works all game for space. If he can be coached he has the most upside IMO.

Tom Green? Third rounder.
Tom Green third rounder? Keen to hear why?

Dyer'ere

Licensed to kazoo
Sep 21, 2004
Richmond fans are buying the narrative because Tom Green is a descendant of a great. But the narrative, as usual with GWS players, is hyperbole. If not fraud.

Green is pretty good size and a pretty good athlete. Compare him to Harry Schoenberg, a midget who can't raise a canter.

Harry knows where to go and gets there. He knows where to send less intelligent team mates. And he does it in a n instant. And Schoenberg looks nimble and sometimes brisk on a football ground.

Tom Green has demonstrated no such characteristics. I tender the second quarter of the GWS v Coll game on the weekend. It was still dry and Green's instructions, if they could be divined from his play, were to get involved. He was well below the level.

Now, I didn't cherry pick this quarter. I chose it because I saw my usual Tom Green.

Green went 10 in his draft because Carlton chose him there. If Matt Clark had taken him there we'd have have had a dozen or more bust calls already.

I'm not writing Green off altogether because he looks to be low on confidence atm. But I vote against statics and Green is one. And on current form, even career form, Green is mediocre imo.

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
Richmond fans are buying the narrative because Tom Green is a descendant of a great. But the narrative, as usual with GWS players, is hyperbole. If not fraud.

Green is pretty good size and a pretty good athlete. Compare him to Harry Schoenberg, a midget who can't raise a canter.

Harry knows where to go and gets there. He knows where to send less intelligent team mates. And he does it in a n instant. And Schoenberg looks nimble and sometimes brisk on a football ground.

Tom Green has demonstrated no such characteristics. I tender the second quarter of the GWS v Coll game on the weekend. It was still dry and Green's instructions, if they could be divined from his play, were to get involved. He was well below the level.

Now, I didn't cherry pick this quarter. I chose it because I saw my usual Tom Green.

Green went 10 in his draft because Carlton chose him there. If Matt Clark had taken him there we'd have have had a dozen or more bust calls already.

I'm not writing Green off altogether because he looks to be low on confidence atm. But I vote against statics and Green is one. And on current form, even career form, Green is mediocre imo.
Interesting Jack. Pace is definitely the question but his hands in tight are elite. Not everyone needs to run like a gazelle. Pure footballers are worth their weight in gold.

Reactions: 1 user

saigon tiger

Tiger Superstar
Jun 4, 2010

You've been smoking too much Green brother!

Dyer'ere

Licensed to kazoo
Sep 21, 2004
Interesting Jack. Pace is definitely the question but his hands in tight are elite. Not everyone needs to run like a gazelle. Pure footballers are worth their weight in gold.
I'm comparing him to a smaller, slower player, SA. A bloke who can play.

Tom Green tests alright. Surprising when you watch him play.

Reactions: 1 user

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
I'm not in love, s t.
It's just a silly phase you're going through.

The Tom Green poster upon my wall
hides a nasty stain that's lying there
So don't you ask me
To give it back
I know you know it doesn't mean that much to me

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: 5 users