Midfield Depth | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Midfield Depth

St Kevin

Tiger Legend
Apr 1, 2014
Agree. The criticism of these kids is borderline pathetic. Look at the seniors who turned their toes up.

Yep. Some very highly credentialed and highly paid players did SFA tonight. The kids at least had a crack.

Reactions: 1 user

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
Don't let facts stand in the way of a good story.

I can't believe some of the criticism of our young guys. They got no opportunity last year, and most of them have played a couple of senior games.

Seriously, give them a chance.
Its unfortunate that this will always happen.
Its not like we haven't been the best team in the last 50 months or 88 weeks of Football.

The_General

It's been a very hard working from home
Staff member
May 4, 2004
Agree. And the young players missed an entire season last year for their development.
But so did the youth for every team in Victoria. Yet others are performing and our guys are struggling.
Footy Dept cutbacks hurting us I think. When you're taking talent from deeper in the draft, I think you need to spend a bit extra getting the most out of them. We may not be in a position to do that anymore.

jokershoppe

Tiger Champion
Feb 17, 2008
First ,we have excess funds that we can easily put into our footy department,but we are not allowed to do so.
Our young players have had minimal footy.
One of our reasons we got killed after halftime was rcd, Ross basically becoming cardboard cutouts,but u got to expect this with young players in their first 20 games

Reactions: 1 users

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
But so did the youth for every team in Victoria. Yet others are performing and our guys are struggling.
Footy Dept cutbacks hurting us I think. When you're taking talent from deeper in the draft, I think you need to spend a bit extra getting the most out of them. We may not be in a position to do that anymore.
That’s a great point. The cut backs have hurt. We lost 2 very good assistant coaches and performance / physio. Can’t remember the guys name but he has gone to Sydney. Massive loss.

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
That’s a great point. The cut backs have hurt. We lost 2 very good assistant coaches and performance / physio. Can’t remember the guys name but he has gone to Sydney. Massive loss.
Rob Inness was our rehab and strengthening guy, brilliant at his job, has gone up to Sydney to be the Peter Burge of the Swans, (which is a promotion), so no small loss.

• Sad
Reactions: 2 users

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Nothing wrong with our young kids coming through.
Kids usually get brought through n developed with a couple of games here n there one player at a time. Injuries have caught us on the hop a little bit and all of a sudden there's three or four kids being asked to stand up n replace gun senior players while they are still trying to figure out which sock they put on first on game day.
It'll be great development long term for the youngsters, but it doesn't do much for current team performance on game day.

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
Rob Inness was our rehab and strengthening guy, brilliant at his job, has gone up to Sydney to be the Peter Burge of the Swans, (which is a promotion), so no small loss.
That’s his name. He was constantly mentioned by players as being a big influence on their recovery.
*smile* COVID

Jonesracing82

Tiger Champion
Sep 30, 2011
the kids can play & have shown they belong, they just lack the consistency of the snr guys, these games are great for them going fwd.

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
As this thread attests, we've always been thin for mids. We have covered this because of the few we have, four of them are champions and one of them is Lambert.

We're going to be severely tested over the next two months. A lot on the shoulders of our remaining champion and our emerging one. Graham must rise to the challenge. There's not much else. Marlion, but his wing has been a weak point since he left it.

Can someone else step up?

We're going to learn some things about some players.

Reactions: 4 users

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
We need a key forward with an early pick that’s for sure.

But the other 3 early picks ( 1x1/ 2x2) need to be pure mids.

Reactions: 2 users

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
The way the cards have fallen , this is going to give us a real opportunity to have a look at the young mids under pressure cooker pressure we have on our list , hopefully atleast one can show they are really up to it not just show “ potential “

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
Players like ross rcd martyn dow naish stack are not coming along quick enough.
4 of those have played 9 games between them. 2020 was a write-off for player development. Hard to make judgement until they've been given a go at the top level. That'll happen moving forward.

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
Two key things that must happen between now and the trade time.

Re-sign Bolton as our number 1 priority and then entice someone like Zac Merrett to nominate us as his preferred choice.

Reactions: 3 users

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
Richmond fans are buying the narrative because Tom Green is a descendant of a great. But the narrative, as usual with GWS players, is hyperbole. If not fraud.

Green is pretty good size and a pretty good athlete. Compare him to Harry Schoenberg, a midget who can't raise a canter.

Harry knows where to go and gets there. He knows where to send less intelligent team mates. And he does it in a n instant. And Schoenberg looks nimble and sometimes brisk on a football ground.

Tom Green has demonstrated no such characteristics. I tender the second quarter of the GWS v Coll game on the weekend. It was still dry and Green's instructions, if they could be divined from his play, were to get involved. He was well below the level.

Now, I didn't cherry pick this quarter. I chose it because I saw my usual Tom Green.

Green went 10 in his draft because Carlton chose him there. If Matt Clark had taken him there we'd have have had a dozen or more bust calls already.

I'm not writing Green off altogether because he looks to be low on confidence atm. But I vote against statics and Green is one. And on current form, even career form, Green is mediocre imo.
Compare the pair. Same age, same draft, same sorta position. Schoenberg spends more time forward.

Green averaging 20.3 disposals, 2.7 tackles and 4.3 clearances this year. A high of 28 touches yesterday, a low of 15 v Melbourne. Schoenberg 15.9, 3.1 and 2.4. High of 20 v North, low of 11 v Hawks. Schoenberg 4 goal assists for the year, Green only 2.

Schoenberg's ceiling is Richard Douglas, Jr. I'm not sure what Green's is.

Green is a first-hands player (hence low tackles). And they're good hands. Yeah, he's a bit static, but as you note, a pretty good athlete. We can learn him.

I'm not all-in, but my eye is on him. Yes, family connection - because he wants to play for us, so we might be able to get him.