Missing Mini Submarine | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Missing Mini Submarine

TT33

Yellow & Black Member
Feb 17, 2004
Melbourne
What a horrible situation, gee I hope they find it in time to save all on board.

There's been no mention of a "distress beacon/signal" on board the sub.

Surely, in a machine like that, which dives to incredible depths they would have some sort of distress mechanism.
I thought all subs were fitted with such a device. If not what a terrible oversight.

Reactions: 1 user

BT Tiger

Staff member
Jun 5, 2005
Warragul
Have a read of this twitter feed. Pretty damning stuff by the sub operators. The CEO of the company was on board.

Personally I think there's next to no chance they'll be rescued, let alone still be alive right now. Seems the most likely thing that happened is the sub imploded.

You couldn't pay me enough money to get into a submarine like that. Gives me the creeps just thinking about it.

Reactions: 3 users

TT33

Yellow & Black Member
Feb 17, 2004
Melbourne
Have a read of this twitter feed. Pretty damning stuff by the sub operators. The CEO of the company was on board.

Personally I think there's next to no chance they'll be rescued, let alone still be alive right now. Seems the most likely thing that happened is the sub imploded.

You couldn't pay me enough money to get into a submarine like that. Gives me the creeps just thinking about it.

Surely not. :(

There's adventure & there's stupidity. I f that's really the sub they were using, then I'll go with the latter.

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
You would think that at the depth they were at that a beacon may not be able to reach the surface. Sonar is the only thing that can find them that deep and its only looking for sounds. Not sure what beacon system that we would have that could penetrate to those depths. I mean most subs only go down 300-500m. They are going down nearly 4000m.

If anyone survives this it would be a miracle. Most likely scenario is there has been some sort of hull breach etc.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004

I hope for the occupants that it has imploded - a quick death would be better than a drive or control failure and you just have to sit there in the dark until the oxygen runs out.

Seems like a massively dodgy operation though.

Reactions: 1 users

TT33

Yellow & Black Member
Feb 17, 2004
Melbourne
You would think that at the depth they were at that a beacon may not be able to reach the surface. Sonar is the only thing that can find them that deep and its only looking for sounds. Not sure what beacon system that we would have that could penetrate to those depths. I mean most subs only go down 300-500m. They are going down nearly 4000m.

If anyone survives this it would be a miracle. Most likely scenario is there has been some sort of hull breach etc.

I was using the term "beacon" very loosely Posh, sonar is probably the only real possibility but I'm not sure about what depths is can be used to & how effective it is in deep sea situations.

Apart from a miracle rescue, your hull breach scenario is probably the "best" result for the occupants of it. Slowly suffocating in a tiny tin can would be a horrible way to die.

TT33

Yellow & Black Member
Feb 17, 2004
Melbourne
or the controller batteries ran out.

What a shoddy operation.
Poor people wouldn't have known what they were signing up for

Quite frankly they should have checked & double checked what they signed up for, they paid US $250k for the privilege. I can tell you that I would've well & truly investigated what I was spending that sort of $ on.

snags

Tiger Superstar
Oct 28, 2005

Beacon like on blackbox recorders would be ideal. Acoustic pings that travel a long way in water. Rescuers can tune in and follow the signal.

larabee

Tiger Champion
Jun 11, 2010
Tigerland
Quite frankly they should have checked & double checked what they signed up for, they paid US $250k for the privilege. I can tell you that I would've well & truly investigated what I was spending that sort of $ on.
You and I would, but for multi billionaires, $250k is loose change. They may have accepted that this "expedition" was legit without looking at the fine print, or inspecting the vessel

Ripplestick

Tiger Champion
Jan 18, 2007
Was this the Titan's maiden voyage? Surely they had tested it at a depth of at least 4,000 metres before this adventure.

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
You and I would, but for multi billionaires, $250k is loose change. They may have accepted that this "expedition" was legit without looking at the fine print, or inspecting the vessel
Obviously they did, which doesn't say a lot for the intelligence of some rich people. Bloody hell, why would you do such a thing?

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
If you jumble all the letters of the passengers together you can spell 2pac, Elvis and "New World Order is hiring".

Some say they took Hunter Biden's laptop down with them

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

Coburgtiger

Tiger Legend
May 7, 2012
I find it really hard to worry about a bunch of millionaires on a pleasure cruise.

The Titanic claims a few more.

• Sad
Reactions: 2 users