Missing Mini Submarine | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Missing Mini Submarine

From a media perspective they might be but ultimately they’re all human beings with families. No human life is worth any more or less regardless of wealth or situation.
Apparently some are worth a hell of a lot more attention and resources.

Reactions: 1 user
It's the perfect clickbait story - the Titanic as a huge cultural marker, billionaires, weird and dodgy technology, heroic rescue mission possible, death in the deep dark sea, and the suspense while we find out if they are alive or dead.

Spoiler - they are dead.
agree Ant.

perpetuate the myth.... If it wasn't the Titanic would it get the coverage..? .....I doubt it.

Apparently the waiver the passengers needed to sign mentioned death 3 times on the first page.

I've never been a risk taker (does barracking for the Tiges in front of the Collingwood Social Club at Vic Park in the 80s count?) but once I had kids (therefore responsibilities) no more risky activities.

Obviously I hope they are rescued, but I can't help feel the passengers are quite selfish given the risks.

Isn't part of human existence curiosity about all manner of things?

Would these same posters have said sucked in to Hillary if he had persished on Everest or said the same about Shackleton if he had frozen in the Antarctic? Were those expedition attempts necessary?

Now obviously this submarine and its crew are not adventurers in the vein of Hillary/Shackleton but hasn't a by-product of attempting daring and dangerous deeds (like the search for Titanic?) been the discovery of all sorts of technology that has resulted in improvements to life and living standards?

Was there such little sympathy for Christa McAuliffe when she perished on the space shuttle challanger?

Is plunging the depths to look at the Titanic an indulgence only a few could afford/experience? Perhaps but should that mean no rescue be attempted? And should concern for their welfare be deemed unworthy?

Apparently the waiver the passengers needed to sign mentioned death 3 times on the first page.

I've never been a risk taker (does barracking for the Tiges in front of the Collingwood Social Club at Vic Park in the 80s count?) but once I had kids (therefore responsibilities) no more risky activities.

Obviously I hope they are rescued, but I can't help feel the passengers are quite selfish given the risks.
Same risk as anyone going to Mars.

Isn't part of human existence curiosity about all manner of things?
You can die doing a lot of things deemed risky. Some would say driving a car is risky. Swimming is risky.

The lack of empathy in this thread is a bit disturbing IMO. Anyway they've run out of oxygen now. RIP to these people.

• Sad
Reactions: 3 users
it's supposed to float up to the surface if it loses power, but there is no contingency plan for a hull implosion at 5000psi

Looks like it imploded with debris found near the Titanic. Consensus is that at that depth they wouldn't have known what hit them. Much better than suffocating.

Same risk as anyone going to Mars.

I'd rather risk dying going to Mars than seeing an 111 year old shipwreck.

Looks like it imploded with debris found near the Titanic. Consensus is that at that depth they wouldn't have known what hit them. Much better than suffocating.

Question coming from a little bit of ignorance. Apparently, the bow of the titanic is still reasonably intact, despite all of that depth and pressure. How does that happen when its designed to float above water. But a submersible that is designed withstand a level of pressure has reportedly exploded due to depressurisation?

Question coming from a little bit of ignorance. Apparently, the bow of the titanic is still reasonably intact, despite all of that depth and pressure. How does that happen when its designed to float above water. But a submersible that is designed withstand a level of pressure has reportedly exploded due to depressurisation?

Its due to presssure differentials. Ie. there is no pressure differential at the Titanic wreck, all has the same pressure.

All you need is a small crack, a small area of instability in the hull of a submarine, and due to the difference in pressure on the outside, that pressure differential causes an inward explosion, the greater the differential, the greater the explosion.

Good question.. Because the Titanic wasn't hermetically sealed - water could flow in as the ship sank so there was no pressure differential inside and outside the hull. So the Titan's hull imploded (violently crushed) not because of depressurisation, but because of extreme external pressure.

The Titan had 6 inch carbon fibre hull, hermetically sealed. That meant that if it imploded at the depth of the Titanic, the difference in pressure inside and out was around 1000 atmospheres (1 atmosphere is air pressure at sea level), about 5000psi. You inflate your car tyres to 32psi but you don't want to be hit with flying rubber when a truck tyre blows. By contrast, spacecraft only have a one atmosphere pressure differential with space vacuum - they have 1 atm pressure inside, and zero outside. So deep sea submersibles effectively have to withstand hundreds or thousands of times pressure differential than a spacecraft in a vacuum does.

Once the carbon fibre hull shattered, you have 5000psi of water pressure hitting you - you wouldn't even feel it and you'd be turned into (spoiler for gore) a fine mist of blood and tissue iand bone fragments in less than a second. Painless.

Reactions: 4 users
Its due to presssure differentials. Ie. there is no pressure differential at the Titanic wreck, all has the same pressure.

All you need is a small crack, a small area of instability in the hull of a submarine, and due to the difference in pressure on the outside, that pressure differential causes an inward explosion, the greater the differential, the greater the explosion.

I do wonder if before they implosion a leak started that they saw. That would have changed what their last thoughts were significantly.

I do wonder if before they implosion a leak started that they saw. That would have changed what their last thoughts were significantly.

It would obviously depend on the depth (the deeper the depth, the higher the pressure) but I would think they wouldn't have even known anything. It would have been 1 second I'm here, the next they aren't.

Really sad stuff! My thoughts go out to the families of the deceased.

I hope anyone involved in the sub is never allowed within a country mile of such things in the future. Never!

The other point is how many millions of taxpayer dollars were spent searching for this vanity cruise debacle?

Really sad stuff! My thoughts go out to the families of the deceased.

I hope anyone involved in the sub is never allowed within a country mile of such things in the future. Never!

They should face charges. They'll certainly be wiped out by civil suits.

I know it sounds morbid and perhaps a bit disrespectful. But I'm genuinely curious, what materially happens to the bodies in that scenario? Obviously the people are both crushed to death and drowned. I wouldn't have thought an implosion is the same situation as someone standing right next to an explosion, that they are blown apart and their body becomes many little pieces, but of course I could be entirely wrong on that. Hence the question.