Missing Mini Submarine | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Missing Mini Submarine

I find it really hard to worry about a bunch of millionaires on a pleasure cruise.

The Titanic claims a few more.
put your tall poppy syndrome aside for a minute.Did you feel the same for the kids caught in the cave in Thailand?

Reactions: 2 users
Despite their wealth i have fair bit of sympathy. I hope @AngryAnt is right as it is hard to imagine a worse death than drifting in a tin can in the dark at the bottom of the ocean for a few days before you run out of oxygen.

Reactions: 4 users
I find it really hard to worry about a bunch of millionaires on a pleasure cruise.
Terrible attitude. They're still human beings who worked hard no doubt to get where they are in life.
What if Joe Smith with a few less dollars than you felt the same way cause you went missing so decided not to go look for you?
This is as tragic as any situation where people die due to misfortune. In fact it would be a truly awful way to die that I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy & I feel exactly the same way for refugees who drown on a boat in the Pacific ocean. Wealth doesn't come into it.

Reactions: 5 users
put your tall poppy syndrome aside for a minute.Did you feel the same for the kids caught in the cave in Thailand?
And who knows, maybe it was a titanic tragic onboard who had saved everything they could for the opportunity of a lifetime?

every 10 seconds someone dies of hunger each day ..

Reactions: 1 users
Personally I think there's next to no chance they'll be rescued, let alone still be alive right now. Seems the most likely thing that happened is the sub imploded.

You couldn't pay me enough money to get into a submarine like that. Gives me the creeps just thinking about it.
Agree, near zero chance of rescue.

Think I read a past quote from someone involved in the company of the dangers of small submarine travel. Something along the lines of, whether malfunction on such a craft strikes at 11m or 1100m, it's the same result.

Even leaving any fear factor aside for a sec. If it went to plan, 8 hrs jammed in a tiny, tiny submarine like that with umpteen others, for a so called pleasure cruise? Doesn't hold much appeal, I wouldn't have thought. If I had that much money, don't see it as that exciting either. Chances are you get down there and vision is so *smile* you don't see a whole lot anyway. See better images as enhanced photos online.

Last edited:
better pray that no one had the mexican food at the pre-dive lunch buffet
Good point. Even without a dodgy meal full of excess fibre, a group of strangers are going to be shitting and pissing in a bag or bucket within centremetres of each other over the 8 hour excursion. Either that, or are wearing space nappies. Like I say, doesn't hold much appeal as a pleasure cruise.

Reactions: 1 user
That's pretty callous.
I don't think anyone actually cares, to be honest.

Lots of people dying every day who didn't spend 250,000 dollars to lock themselves in a pressurised vessel 4km under the ocean.

It's an interesting story that's grabbed media attention.

and that is no less or more tragic.
Going by global media attention and high-tech resources devoted to the rescue by 3 nations, it isn't.

Then there's the issue of people being forced into a dangerous situation versus choosing to be.

And who knows, maybe it was a titanic tragic onboard who had saved everything they could for the opportunity of a lifetime?

There was a 77 year old ex navy explorer who is a titanic expert Paul-Henri Nargeolet, 77 — French explorer and former commander of French Navy who kind of qualifies as a Titanic tragic.

he always said deep sea diving is risky and you don't live forever, so he died doing what he loved I guess. The others were crew (eg the CEO) or rich billionaire adventurer types. Got some sympathy for the 17 year old, would have seemed like a fun thing to do to him I guess.

This article goes through who they were.

I don't think anyone actually cares, to be honest.

Lots of people dying every day who didn't spend 250,000 dollars to lock themselves in a pressurised vessel 4km under the ocean.

It's an interesting story that's grabbed media attention.

It's the perfect clickbait story - the Titanic as a huge cultural marker, billionaires, weird and dodgy technology, heroic rescue mission possible, death in the deep dark sea, and the suspense while we find out if they are alive or dead.

Spoiler - they are dead.

It's the perfect clickbait story - the Titanic as a huge cultural marker, billionaires, weird and dodgy technology, death in the deep dark sea, and the suspense while we find out if they are alive or dead.

Spoiler - they are dead.
No doubt it’s clickbait. Still tragic as with any death through misfortune.

Caveats on tragedy? Really?
Of course. Some tragedies are worse than others. Self evident. My point was though that in terms of tangible indicators, media attention and money, the lives of a few rich people are worth more than countless poor people. But, we all knew that anyway. Or at least I did.

Reactions: 2 users
Of course. Some tragedies are worse than others. Self evident. My point was though that in terms of tangible indicators, media attention and money, the lives of a few rich people are worth more than countless poor people. But, we all knew that anyway. Or at least I did.
From a media perspective they might be but ultimately they’re all human beings with families. No human life is worth any more or less regardless of wealth or situation.