Missing Mini Submarine | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Missing Mini Submarine

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Listen, on this site we have expert engineers, epidemiologists, virologists, political scientists, football analysts, medical doctors, sports scientists, cosmologists and philosophers.

climatologists robbed

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
Listen, on this site we have expert engineers, epidemiologists, virologists, political scientists, football analysts, medical doctors, sports scientists, cosmologists and philosophers.

And I'm really only talking about my own qualifications here
I dispute the bit about football analysts (other than crater of course)

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: 1 users

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
Reckon I must be one of them totally callous old bastards. Got bugger all sympathy for the people who go out n do the mountain climbing, mini sub diving, race driving, base jumping type of extreme adventure stuff, just coz they love the thrill and excitement. Good luck to them pushing the boundaries and having their fun, but don't come pissin and moanin to me when it all goes pear shaped n *smile* you over. It's your choice, enjoy if you can. Only ones I ever feel any sympathy for, are the poor bastards gotta go out n risk their own arses trying to rescue them when it's all gone pear shaped.
Who's come pissin and moanin to you Abe?

There's almost a certain glee in posts about wealthy people dying whilst doing something "indulgent" that few can afford. Is it some sort of twisted jealousy?

Panthera Tigris

Tiger Champion
Apr 27, 2010

And I'm really only talking about my own qualifications here
Plenty of criminologists and law professors on the Marlion Pickett thread in recent weeks.

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
In all the examples you have provided there is a narrative.
Put 3 people side by side who you know nothing about & that’s equality regardless of their race, sex or background.
No human life is more valuable than the other.

Well have to agree to disagree

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
Sure but I'm very surprised by your take. Would have thought wanting equality for all humanity would be the goal of someone like yourself.

I want all the good humanity to be more equal than all the bad humanity

• Love

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
You should check out social media. Never knew there were so many deep sea submersible experts in the world.
As the pre-eminent submarine engineer, and a leader in marine machine design, I welcome the increase in intelligent posting. Lets hear from more engineers!

RoarEmotion

Tiger Legend
Aug 20, 2005

A sad situation for all involved but there will be some reckoning as it sounds like the submersible was not really fit for purpose and was always going to fail at some point.

DS

This is the key point. A pressure vessel without an inspection regime that can detect weakness far enough in advance will literally run until it fails.

From what I’ve read they had no way to test. The most they could have done was subject another vessel to time under the pressure and seen how long it lasted. And then basically required a complete replacement. But that is pathetically poor too if some ding to the vessel during transport for example cause a structural issue. A recipe for disaster.

Coburgtiger

Tiger Legend
May 7, 2012
In all the examples you have provided there is a narrative.
Put 3 people side by side who you know nothing about & that’s equality regardless of their race, sex or background.
No human life is more valuable than the other.

This is very similar to some extensions of the trolley problem, and a pretty common dilemma.

So if you had 3 random people, and you had to choose one of them to die, using a deontological approach, you might say 'All are equal, so I cannot choose one, or at least, I will choose one at random.'

Now if you happened to know one of them is a mass murderer, or something equally reprehensible, you could use a consequentialist approach and say 'I'll let the murderer die as it leaves me the world overall safer.' even though your deontological approach remains 'Ill do it at random.'

Most people will swing between approaches at random based on what feels right emotively. If you're going to stick to your guns 'All lives are equal in all cases' that's great, but it's not the only ethical approach. And if you're willing to bend toward other approaches at times, then it should be accepted that we did know some about these sub divers. They were not 3 random people. Critically we know they chose to put themselves in a life threatening position for a joyride.

We still would not choose for them to die, and prefer they didn't. But we can assign a quality to their lives, and question resources dedicated to a rescue attempt. E. G. If 4 people had died rescuing these 5, would that have been acceptable given the balance of lives is equal? Or do you assign some quality to the lives of the people in the sub as distinct from the rescuers?

In the end, this whole exercise comprehensively proved that human life is not equal. The amount of energy, interest and resources invested in 5 people's lives who were very unlikely to ever have survived, was infinitely more than all the people on organ transplant waiting lists, dying of hunger, or suffering from preventable infectious disease around the world.

Rich white people are just worth more.

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
This is very similar to some extensions of the trolley problem, and a pretty common dilemma.

So if you had 3 random people, and you had to choose one of them to die, using a deontological approach, you might say 'All are equal, so I cannot choose one, or at least, I will choose one at random.'

Now if you happened to know one of them is a mass murderer, or something equally reprehensible, you could use a consequentialist approach and say 'I'll let the murderer die as it leaves me the world overall safer.' even though your deontological approach remains 'Ill do it at random.'

Most people will swing between approaches at random based on what feels right emotively. If you're going to stick to your guns 'All lives are equal in all cases' that's great, but it's not the only ethical approach. And if you're willing to bend toward other approaches at times, then it should be accepted that we did know some about these sub divers. They were not 3 random people. Critically we know they chose to put themselves in a life threatening position for a joyride.

We still would not choose for them to die, and prefer they didn't. But we can assign a quality to their lives, and question resources dedicated to a rescue attempt. E. G. If 4 people had died rescuing these 5, would that have been acceptable given the balance of lives is equal? Or do you assign some quality to the lives of the people in the sub as distinct from the rescuers?

In the end, this whole exercise comprehensively proved that human life is not equal. The amount of energy, interest and resources invested in 5 people's lives who were very unlikely to ever have survived, was infinitely more than all the people on organ transplant waiting lists, dying of hunger, or suffering from preventable infectious disease around the world.

Interesting viewpoint. Thanks.

One item I liked to call out is our inherent bias. The "what i do is normal" which skews the assessment.

You called it a joyride. Fine, but is there distinction between a submersible going to the titanic and a commercial airplane going to sydney?
Its all a tincan for fun

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
Two of the 5 victims were of Pakistani descent, one was French.

I seem to remember a fair few resources going into the disappearance of Malaysia Airlines Flight 370. 14 different Nationalities. Mostly Chinese.

But yeah rich white people & all that.

IanG

Tiger Legend
Sep 27, 2004
Melbourne

Or as has been discussed in the media and been brought up by Obama the 750 migrants who lost their lives off the coast of Greece which occurred at the same time.