Missing Mini Submarine | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Missing Mini Submarine

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
And the twitter conspiracy theorists in the US have now kicked off with "the Navy knew they were dead all the time but Biden didn't let them announce it as a psy-ops distraction!!!"

I'm not even kidding.

artball

labels are for canned food
Jul 30, 2013
back to the diatoms from where they came ….

Reactions: 1 user

Panthera Tigris

Tiger Champion
Apr 27, 2010
On the news coverage there was a discussion hypothesising a recovery mission to retrieve the bodies. The rescue team coordinators dismissed it as something they won’t do, hinting that the difficulty vs benefits make it not worth contemplating. For sure, agree wholeheartedly with that.

But the nature of the discussion suggested that there actually would be tangible bodies in existence to recover. I was under the impression from our earlier discussion that the bodies would have been obliterated by the pressure.

Reactions: 1 users

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
And the twitter conspiracy theorists in the US have now kicked off with "the Navy knew they were dead all the time but Biden didn't let them announce it as a psy-ops distraction!!!"

I'm not even kidding.

Was always gonna happen: got all the ingredients.

Ultra-rich, deep ocean, science, mysterious tapping, military, government, robots, implosions, open-ended

It would be astonishing if elvis, jeffrey epstein, hitler, and olivia newton johns husbands particles WERNT discovered on board in the shape of lizards

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 4 users

TT33

Yellow & Black Member
Feb 17, 2004
Melbourne
On the news coverage there was a discussion hypothesising a recovery mission to retrieve the bodies. The rescue team coordinators dismissed it as something they won’t do, hinting that the difficulty vs benefits make it not worth contemplating. For sure, agree wholeheartedly with that.

But the nature of the discussion suggested that there actually would be tangible bodies in existence to recover. I was under the impression from our earlier discussion that the bodies would have been obliterated by the pressure.

Unfortunately there wouldn't be too much to recover.

frecks

Tiger Cub
Feb 24, 2008
Unfortunately there wouldn't be too much to recover.
Really sad. I'm hearing that did the dive to confirm that the Titanic swim pool was still holding water even after all those years

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Isn't part of human existence curiosity about all manner of things?

Would these same posters have said sucked in to Hillary if he had persished on Everest or said the same about Shackleton if he had frozen in the Antarctic? Were those expedition attempts necessary?

Now obviously this submarine and its crew are not adventurers in the vein of Hillary/Shackleton but hasn't a by-product of attempting daring and dangerous deeds (like the search for Titanic?) been the discovery of all sorts of technology that has resulted in improvements to life and living standards?

Was there such little sympathy for Christa McAuliffe when she perished on the space shuttle challanger?

Is plunging the depths to look at the Titanic an indulgence only a few could afford/experience? Perhaps but should that mean no rescue be attempted? And should concern for their welfare be deemed unworthy?
Reckon I must be one of them totally callous old bastards. Got bugger all sympathy for the people who go out n do the mountain climbing, mini sub diving, race driving, base jumping type of extreme adventure stuff, just coz they love the thrill and excitement. Good luck to them pushing the boundaries and having their fun, but don't come pissin and moanin to me when it all goes pear shaped n *smile* you over. It's your choice, enjoy if you can. Only ones I ever feel any sympathy for, are the poor bastards gotta go out n risk their own arses trying to rescue them when it's all gone pear shaped.

TigerMasochist

Jul 13, 2003
I know it sounds morbid and perhaps a bit disrespectful. But I'm genuinely curious, what materially happens to the bodies in that scenario? Obviously the people are both crushed to death and drowned. I wouldn't have thought an implosion is the same situation as someone standing right next to an explosion, that they are blown apart and their body becomes many little pieces, but of course I could be entirely wrong on that. Hence the question.
Wouldn't have drowned them, they'd have been crushed pretty near instantaneous. At the depth and pressure they were trying for, due to the strength of the hull of the sub it would hold solid until such time as it failed n it would be an instant pressure smash of thousands of PSI.

TigerMasochist

Jul 13, 2003
plus the CEO is imploded micro algae in a deckchair, 4000m below sea-level
Then there's the previous customer who was so impressed by the whole fancy adventure he invested into the company. Happily still got his arse intact but his wallet mighta copped a fair beating.

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
Some of the responses made me think.

Soon I'll be going in a pressure can vessel, mostly carbon fibre and aluminium. Most of the passengers are exceedingly well off.
Its high tech and a playground for the wealthy of the world.
I'm only flying to Sydney but I hope the tincan doesnt explode.
And if it does I hope people search fir the wreckage.

• Love

TigerMasochist

Jul 13, 2003
Some of the responses made me think.

Soon I'll be going in a pressure can vessel, mostly carbon fibre and aluminium. Most of the passengers are exceedingly well off.
Its high tech and a playground for the wealthy of the world.
I'm only flying to Sydney but I hope the tincan doesnt explode.
And if it does I hope people search fir the wreckage.
There's a pretty good chance that it won't explode and as long as the pilot doesn't get lost on the way, we shouldn't have to search to far to find you.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
The Titan had 6 inch carbon fibre hull, hermetically sealed.

I think this is a salient point.

I would presume it was not just carbon fibre, but maybe also contained some titanium, but the carbon fibre is the key.

There is a big difference between carbon fibre and how it fails compared to a metal. If there was, for example, a partial failure in a metal vessel part way down it would bend because metal has a bit of give when it fails. Carbon fibre has no give, it fails catastrophically, all at once. Carbon fibre can fail with little warning and they would have expected some noise as the pressure built up so the warning signs would be less obvious. You see this on bicycles, the carbon bikes can't get a ding because the carbon fibre loses integrity. This is not the case for steel, aluminium or titanium.

So, I figure it would have failed very quickly and likely with little or no warning.

I wouldn't go down in one of those things, hate being under water, but we all have our fears and we all have things we are less fearful of. I went parachuting when I was young, massively regulated sport because of the danger, this seems to be a lot less regulated.

A sad situation for all involved but there will be some reckoning as it sounds like the submersible was not really fit for purpose and was always going to fail at some point.

DS

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
I'm surprised at the amount of engineers on this site

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
I don't really care any more or any less for people on a space shuttle, cruise ship, submarine or refugee boat if they die as I don't really know any of them personally.
Doubt they would care any more or less for me if I happened to die tragically either.
Ultimately we only really care about the deaths of the people that affect us directly or indirectly through contacts.
The rest is driven narrative but most importantly all human lives are equal for better or worse. At least they should be, regardless of skin colour, wealth or sex.
Once you start putting caveats on the value of human life then you're as bad as the next person regardless of your beliefs.:cool:

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
Isn't part of human existence curiosity about all manner of things?

Would these same posters have said sucked in to Hillary if he had persished on Everest or said the same about Shackleton if he had frozen in the Antarctic? Were those expedition attempts necessary?

Now obviously this submarine and its crew are not adventurers in the vein of Hillary/Shackleton but hasn't a by-product of attempting daring and dangerous deeds (like the search for Titanic?) been the discovery of all sorts of technology that has resulted in improvements to life and living standards?

Was there such little sympathy for Christa McAuliffe when she perished on the space shuttle challanger?

Is plunging the depths to look at the Titanic an indulgence only a few could afford/experience? Perhaps but should that mean no rescue be attempted? And should concern for their welfare be deemed unworthy?

Its a good point,

But i think theres a really big difference

between explorers, often attempting to see something only ever been seen by indigenous people,

Adventurers, attempting something thats never been done,

And tourists.

Then theres a big difference between tourists doing something safe and without using more than their fair share of the earth and societies resources, like making a sand castle on the beach, or going to a footy game

And spending millions on a perilous folly

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
No because as I said in the rest of my post I have a personal connection with Trent. I’ve met him a few times, spent time with him & cheered for him for over a decade. I’m not sure what your point is.

That equality of all human life is a glib fallacy

Nelson Mandelas life > Jeffrey Epsteins'

Person making coffee's life > vladamir putins'

Etc. etc.

Brian houstan, for example, can put a dozen 'i am worthy' post its on his mirror,

And still be a complete *smile* offering minus net worth to the planet

I have a heirarchy of worth, and its not based on wealth, color, conquest, intelligence, power, health, looks, size,

Its based on how unconditionally kind and unwaiveringly honest you are, and how good you play footy in september in a black and yellow jumper

Last edited: