Moon Landing - Fact or fiction? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Moon Landing - Fact or fiction?

Do you think the US put astronauts on the moon almost 40 years ago?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
Chiang Mai Tiger said:
Agree fiction, the lunar module taking off from the surface of the moon was the give away.

Yep looks like a cheap special effects miniature.

Re the flag thing do the Americas now claim ownership of the moon?

How come no other country ie the Soviets went up there to check it out?

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
Tigers of Old said:
How come no other country ie the Soviets went up there to check it out?

Bigger Hollywood budget.

Reactions: 1 user
Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
You'd think if the American's truly had been on the moon 35 years ago, there would by now be a:

- McDonald's restaurant

- 7 Eleven

- Starbucks

- Giant advertising Billboard seen from earth

- Moondominiums

etc. etc.

Proof that they have never made it. ;D

Six Pack

Tiger Legend
Aug 28, 2007
with the Aussie dollar at 92cents, now would be a good time to send our rocket up there!

evo

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2003
Reds favourite song.

I pictured a rainbow
You held in your hands
I had flashes
But you saw then plan
I wondered out in the world for years
While you just stayed in your room
I saw the crescent
You saw the whole of the moon!
The whole of the moon!

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Tiger74 said:
Most of the internet "proofs" (i.e. shadows of photos etc) have been disproven by various NASA and other agency officials. I would post a link, but don't have time to look right now unfortunately.

Personally I think this is like Elvis being dead, the JFK assassination, and so on. Its so hard for people at the time to believe it really happened, that myths and rumours start becoming accepted reality 30 years on.

Sadly if you do a survey today, I would bet as many people who think the moon landings were fake will also say that Elvis didn't die in the 70's.

Not saying people are idiots mind you, just that we love a conspiracy, and we love to believe somethings are more complicated than they really are.

Being a born skeptic, I couldn't agree more. Too many people involved to have filmed it on Earth, somebody would have blabbed. Some of the astronauts have gone a bit loopy though and 'found God'.

Disco08

Tiger Legend
Sep 23, 2003
L2R2R, if you're a born skeptic wouldn't it concern you that NASA hasn't been able to stop it's astronauts from being killed in the state of the art space shuttle (usually take-offs and re-entries are the problem) yet back in the dark days of technology they managed to get a tin can to the moon and back on four separate occasions without any loss of life?

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Disco08 said:
L2R2R, if you're a born skeptic wouldn't it concern you that NASA hasn't been able to stop it's astronauts from being killed in the state of the art space shuttle (usually take-offs and re-entries are the problem) yet back in the dark days of technology they managed to get a tin can to the moon and back on four separate occasions without any loss of life?

Without being an expert I think there are engineering difficulties involved with the shuttle being a re-usable craft. If the US faked their space exploration, the Russians did also as they claimed to have sent a number of men into orbit. Both early space programs suffered casualties - three Russians were killed on re-entry and three Americans died in a fire on the launch pad.

Azza

Tiger Champion
Aug 30, 2007
Dark side of the Moon was Oz, not the moon ::)

It's funny how the perception of who's a skeptic has changed. In the past the people thinking it was all faked would be considered the gullible ones, now it seems to be the other way round.

Just watched a youtube video claiming to be able to spot the flashes from wires supporting astronauts, and demonstrating someone getting up from a prone the ground initially without moving any limbs as though supported by wires. The wire flashes were pretty interesting if true, although you never know what''s been done to video post-production. The guy rising without using his limbs leaves less room for tampering with the footage.

I hadn't paid much attention to all this, assuming basically the people claiming it was all faked were a bit loopy, but would be interested in looking at the evidence either way now.

If it is faked, one thing I'd like to know is why do it repeatedly? You'd think one 'trip' would be enough to stick it to the Russians, and the more times it was repeated the greater the risk of discovery.

It'll be interesting to see footage from a real landing and compare it to the old footage.

Disco08

Tiger Legend
Sep 23, 2003
The Wiki entry for lunar landing hoax has a lot of the points and the debunking efforts for each one.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Azza said:
It's funny how the perception of who's a skeptic has changed. In the past the people thinking it was all faked would be considered the gullible ones, now it seems to be the other way round.

From the article cited by Disco:

"According to a 1999 Gallup poll, about 6 percent of the population of the United States has doubts that the Apollo astronauts walked on the Moon. (Five percent had no opinion, while 89 percent believed the landings took place.) It asked, "Thinking about space exploration, do you think the government staged or faked the Apollo Moon landing, or don't you feel that way?" Six percent of respondents answered "Yes, staged." Although, if taken literally, 6 percent translates into millions of individuals, Gallup said of this, "It is not unusual to find about that many people in the typical poll agreeing with almost any question that is asked of them, so the best interpretation is that this particular conspiracy theory is not widespread." A 1995 Time/CNN poll also found that 6 percent of the people believe in a hoax."

Quite content to be among the rational 89%.  :p

Disco08

Tiger Legend
Sep 23, 2003
Being that most have the conspiracy theories have surfaced fairly recently I'd say the result might be a little different now than in 1999.

evo

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2003
Believing that man never went to the moon is so passe.

I don't even believe the moon exists!

Azza

Tiger Champion
Aug 30, 2007
Disco08 said:
Being that most have the conspiracy theories have surfaced fairly recently I'd say the result might be a little different now than in 1999.

Development of the net and digital imagery has given people a lot more access to the material quoted by the consipracy theorists too. Mind you having glanced through the wikipedia info I tend to think it's the landings are legit.