Moon Landing - Fact or fiction? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Moon Landing - Fact or fiction?

Do you think the US put astronauts on the moon almost 40 years ago?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

22nd Man

Tiger Legend
Aug 29, 2011
Essex Heights
Neither of the above ever happened to my knowledge. Another country going back would certainly reveal genuine evidence the Americans were ever there 50 years ago.

This vision of Apollo 17 is the one I can get out of my head. Seriously looks straight out of a cheap sci fi movie.

@2.55
I'm assuming you were alive and kicking in 69, so were you the only bloke in the office / kid in the classroom shouting out its all fake people? Or have you been a late convert to the cause?

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Neither of the above ever happened to my knowledge. Another country going back would certainly reveal genuine evidence the Americans were ever there 50 years ago.

This vision of Apollo 17 is the one I can get out of my head. Seriously looks straight out of a cheap sci fi movie.

@2.55

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
Was listening to some moon landing expert this morning and he laughed at the hoax theory. Said if it were a hoax who left all the equipment that’s still up there.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
800px-Apollo_17_Landing_Site_Comparison.png

Yeah. and who left all the footprints and LR tracks. This photo compares the 1972 lunar takeoff footage of the landing site (video camera, which had to be faked in a studio if you believe the conspiracy theories) to the still photo taken by the NASA Lunar Reconnaisance Orbiter in 2011 - I guess NASA could have run a secret mission to fly to the moon and recreate the faked landing sites from the studio onto the actual moon, but seems like a lot of work to me.

The LRO took photos of all six Apollo landing sites. "But that's NASA, they could have faked the LRO data as well" you scream. Yeah sure, although the photography and sensor components of the LRO project were controlled by a whole range of non-NASA and overseas universities and research groups, but hey, George Soros and all that.

In this post-fact world we live in now this is one of the conspiracy theories that really annoys me the most. Yeah, I know. That's my problem and I should deal with it.

Reactions: 1 users

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004

@2.55

What would you expect a LEM launch from a relatively small moon to look like? Yes, it looks very different from watching the massive rockets required to reach escape velocity when launching from the Earth. This is because the Moon's gravity is about 1/6 that of Earth, so escape velocity is relatively easy to achieve with smaller thrusters.

By the way the Chinese have already sent lunar probes (Chang'E 1 and 2) and plan an unmanned landing (Chang'E 3). The Soviets also landed unmanned missions and planned manned missions but gave up after the success of the American program. This is their Lunar lander - never launched of course. Looks really cool in that old style Soviet technology way.

lunalander.jpg

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017

@2.55

I can’t quite figure why you keep liking posts that basically say you r a nut job for doubting the landing?

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
[QUOTE="antman, post: 2368162, member: 1603"

In this post-fact world we live in now this is one of the conspiracy theories that really annoys me the most. Yeah, I know. That's my problem and I should deal with it.
[/QUOTE]

I had a pretty solid LOL at that line.

This is one of my favourite threads to take my mind of footy at the moment.

my brain gets pretty stuck on footy

I like both sides of the argument equally

a pointless landing on really close useless rock V an elaborate sci-fi movie hoax

Reactions: 1 user
Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
I can’t quite figure why you keep liking posts that basically say you r a nut job for doubting the landing?

A nut job eh? I'm liking them because they provide evidence to counter the fake conspiracies.
I've said from the opening thread that I've got an open mind. No need to be rude about it.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Yeah I've got no problems with people asking questions. That's critical thinking, after all. It's people who have dogmatic positions and think that opinions carry the same weight as objective, verified facts that get all the way up my nanny goat.

Found this interactive site recently - has all the audio, video and telemetry from the mission in real time. You can choose which comms channels you want to watch/listen to. I was always amazed at how cool, calm and collected these guys sound - both the astronauts about to land (or crash) and the mission control people. I know this was a point of pride for them.

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
It happened. It was an astounding, against the odds, seat=of-the-pants achievement driven by the quest for political supremacy. It wasn't the first. Wave after wave of maritime exploration and conquest, the vikings, the dutch, the poms, the spaniards, WWI aerial combat, are just a few. All, including the moon landing, had unbelievable human carnage on the road to pulling it off and were the result of superpowers competing for prestige, power and resources.

Saw the Neil Armstrong biopic First Man, amazing. Half the astronauts died in testing. Literally half. They were I'll-prepared but pulled the trigger to beat the Ruskies, and strapped a giant firecracker to a glorified EH Holden and lit ér up. Amazingly, to everyone including NASA, they pulled it off.

As others have said it was a dead end for all sorts of reasons, but that is beside the point of the historical context, it was about symbolism. And in spite of all the hindsight, (what were they thinking, they got lucky, what was the point etc etc which all has validity) the importance of the symbolism endures.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users

Al Bundy

Premiers 2017, 2019, 2020 ...2021?
Aug 27, 2003
Melbourne
Believe it. Watching the various specials over many channels it was interesting to note that when the feed came from the moon it was picked up by Parkes satellites & NASA used the Australian feed of the signal to show the world of Apollo 11.

Also funny thing I didnt know was the astronauts left their body waste in white bags that were tossed out of the lunar module before take off. All items of that were of no use were tossed out. In some photos it can been seen just near one of the legs of the craft.

The thing for me was IF (and I dont believe it) it was a fake, sooner or later another country would get there and see for themselves. I dont think the USA could afford the world backlash to fake such a thing. All it needs is an independant (another country) rover as many dont believe even the LRO taking recent photos.

For me, I truly hope the Apollo 11 landing site is preserved for all time. Its a monumental achievement of mankind (not looking at the USA perspective). I truly hope any other countries that might get up there dont destroy the site area. Just to get a lander to land on the moon was huge moment.

I did hear in one of the discussions they plan to build a small base on the moon soon for fuel manufacturer from water and test living on a base before MARS. If something goes wrong its 3 days to get back, whereas Mars is a months away. it also appears there will be joint collaboration either from the private sector or other countries. Interesting time ahead imo

Last edited:

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Some of the figures are astounding.

The US spent 4% of its annual government budget on the manned moon program. Huge. It's estimated around 400,000 scientists, engineers, technicians etc worked in some way or another on the program - from all around the world, public and private sector.

Risk of total mission failure (ie they would die) was estimated at 10% - unacceptably high by today's standards.

Al Bundy

Premiers 2017, 2019, 2020 ...2021?
Aug 27, 2003
Melbourne
India just launched a rover to the moon

India looking for water deposits on the moon. Article about an hour ago. Well done by India

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
India just launched a rover to the moon

India looking for water deposits on the moon. Article about an hour ago. Well done by India

Water? There's water there? Not quite a complete dump then. Were the Americans aware of this 50 years ago?
Hopefully the Indians get some photos of the US space junk whilst up there.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Personally I liked the idea that the planes were actually holographic projections.