Movies | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Movies

Some may have see it but watched a good English horror movie tonight from 2017 called The Ritual. Thought provoking & had a bit of imagination. Seek it out cause it’s worth the watch.

Reactions: 2 users
Some may have see it but watched a good English horror movie tonight from 2017 called The Ritual. Thought provoking & had a bit of imagination. Seek it out cause it’s worth the watch
Pretty good flick. A real intense movie on Netflix is "Calibre" . Very well done.

Reactions: 1 users
Caught a movie called Citizen X on Fox. What a cracker. Great cast and performances. Was a made for tv movie from HBO from 1995 based on a true story of a Russian serial killer case. Worth a watch.

ToO going to see Oppenheimer today!

With me, myself & I.

Will give my thoughts and score later on tonight.

Looking forward. Have heard really good reviews already.

180 might just be my limit but I’m being assured I will have no issue with the length of the film!

Waiting, no longer

Reactions: 1 user
Saw MI7 on Sunday. Visually exciting with some interesting stunts but at a running time of 163 minutes it really did drag and run out of puff in the last half hour or so. And it’s only part 1!

Reactions: 2 users
Saw MI7 on Sunday. Visually exciting with some interesting stunts but at a running time of 163 minutes it really did drag and run out of puff in the last half hour or so. And it’s only part 1!
Agree with all that mate. First half is tight as a drum & very entertaining. Then it starts to feel quite padded apart from a couple of good scenes. One movie would be better. Definitely better than Indy though.

Agree with all that mate. First half is tight as a drum & very entertaining. Then it starts to feel quite padded apart from a couple of good scenes. One movie would be better. Definitely better than Indy though.
I haven’t seen IJ but I think I’ll wait til it hits the streaming services.

Just finished watching the movie Oppenheimer.

Written & directed by Christopher Nolan, and stars Cillian Murphy as J. Robert Oppenheimer.

All I can say is, well worth watching.

The 180 mins . Don’t let that put you off it! It goes past without you realising it.

Waiting’s view.

10/10.

Attachments

• B646FC11-9654-4EED-8674-B2BE7BE940C7.jpeg
    B646FC11-9654-4EED-8674-B2BE7BE940C7.jpeg
    197.1 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
  • Wow
Caught a movie called Citizen X on Fox. What a cracker. Great cast and performances. Was a made for tv movie from HBO from 1995 based on a true story of a Russian serial killer case. Worth a watch.

With the great Stephen Rea as the police detective. Good film

Watched it ToO.
Good stuff waiting.:)
I'm glad a few have seen it before I commented.

I'll counter your view a bit.

I gave it 8/10. I enjoyed it but it was way too long & too dialogue heavy for me to call it a masterpiece.

The bomb scene was great but really found myself drifting off at times in the back half. I was honestly bored in places.
Sure the concepts were thought provoking but was like back to back to back school lessons in staffrooms & courtrooms.

Murphy's acting deserves an Oscar. Blunt & Harnett great but Damon & grated on me.

it's a good story but I hadn't realised it's not historically accurate (he never met Einstein) & I'm not all that keen on Nolan's editing style. Too jumpy.

like I said I liked it but feel it was overhyped (IMAX really?) & I could never sit through it again.

But hey it's only my opinion. I'm glad you enjoyed it.:cool:

I gave it 8/10. I enjoyed it but it was way too long & too dialogue heavy for me to call it a masterpiece.

The bomb scene was great but really found myself drifting off at times in the back half. I was honestly bored in places.
Sure the concepts were thought provoking but was like back to back to back school lessons in staffrooms & courtrooms.

Murphy's acting deserves an Oscar. Blunt & Harnett great but Damon & grated on me.

it's a good story but I hadn't realised it's not historically accurate (he never met Einstein) & I'm not all that keen on Nolan's editing style. Too jumpy.

like I said I liked it but feel it was overhyped (IMAX really?) & I could never sit through it again.

Interested to watch this but I'm really skeptical of Nolan as a director - his films are too long, characterisation and dialogue are poor and he's too reliant on flashbacks and clever plot loops. Sound design is also flashy, yet terrible and sometimes it's hard to make out the dialogue.

I loved Memento - which has its flaws - but I still think this was his best film.

Interested to watch this but I'm really skeptical of Nolan as a director - his films are too long, characterisation and dialogue are poor and he's too reliant on flashbacks and clever plot loops. Sound design is also flashy, yet terrible and sometimes it's hard to make out the dialogue.

I loved Memento - which has its flaws - but I still think this was his best film.
I always thought The Prestige was massively underrated.

Reactions: 4 users

That’s ok.

I know it was too long and I thought I would drift and be bored, but I found my mind drifting back to that time, what I read, knew from school and pictures I had seen in the aftermath of both bombs.

I was going to google that same thing after the movie but forgot.

If Einstein & Oppenheimer met.

I did come across these two things when I googled this morning ToO.

Oppenheimer first met Einstein in January 1932 when Einstein visited Cal Tech during his around the world trip of 1931–1932.¹ In January 1935, Oppenheimer went east to attend a meeting of the American Physical Society.

I guess I’m wired different to others.

I would see it again.

Was affected by the movie.

Thanks for your reply ToO.

Last edited:
In the film, at least, the admiration goes both ways. Early on, Murphy’s Oppenheimer asks Conti’s Einstein to review a troubling set of calculations as the Manhattan Project gets underway. According to Edward Teller (Benny Safdie), setting off a nuclear explosion might cause a chain reaction that would ignite the atmosphere, destroying the Earth and everything on it. Einstein advises Oppenheimer to have another physicist, Hans Bethe (Gustaf Skarsgård), run the calculations again—revealing that while such an outcome is possible, it has a near-zero chance of actually happening. And near-zero winds up being good enough for them.

The scene, Nolan admits, is an invention. In reality, Oppenheimer did fear causing a chain reaction—but he sought counsel from Arthur Compton, a Nobel Prize winner who directed the Manhattan Project’s University of Chicago outpost, instead of the man behind the theory of relativity. “I shifted that to Einstein,” Nolan told The New York Times, because “Einstein is the personality people know in the audience.”

Thanks for the link waiting. Both these things above are presented in the film as if they actually happened & are pretty integral to the film but neither are true, just exaggerated for effect. I think that diminishes the movie a bit. It's loosely based on what happened but not a biopic. I guess Nolan thought it would be more entertaining.

Anyway as I said pretty good & we all see things differently. :)

Last edited:
In the film, at least, the admiration goes both ways. Early on, Murphy’s Oppenheimer asks Conti’s Einstein to review a troubling set of calculations as the Manhattan Project gets underway. According to Edward Teller (Benny Safdie), setting off a nuclear explosion might cause a chain reaction that would ignite the atmosphere, destroying the Earth and everything on it. Einstein advises Oppenheimer to have another physicist, Hans Bethe (Gustaf Skarsgård), run the calculations again—revealing that while such an outcome is possible, it has a near-zero chance of actually happening. And near-zero winds up being good enough for them.

The scene, Nolan admits, is an invention. In reality, Oppenheimer did fear causing a chain reaction—but he sought counsel from Arthur Compton, a Nobel Prize winner who directed the Manhattan Project’s University of Chicago outpost, instead of the man behind the theory of relativity. “I shifted that to Einstein,” Nolan told The New York Times, because “Einstein is the personality people know in the audience.”

Thanks for the link waiting. Both these things above are presented in the film as if they actually happened & are pretty integral to the film but neither are true, just exaggerated for effect. I think that diminishes the movie a bit. It's loosely based on what happened but not a biopic. I guess Nolan thought it would be more entertaining.

Anyway as I said pretty good & we all see things differently. :)

Regardless of the directing/structure I've heard the acting performances are excellent.