Movies | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Movies

TigerPort

Tiger Champion
Jun 29, 2006
NSW
Went to the actual movie theatre for the first time in over a year. Place was packed relative to COVID restrictions

Saw The Dry with Eric Bana. Good entertainment. Not going to win awards for top quality acting nor script but it was well worth the effort.

Pouring rain as we went in.

Reactions: 1 user

scottyturnerscurse

Tiger Legend
Apr 29, 2006
Welcome to Chechnya is a great doco, if not only for its valid use of deep fake tech.

Also loved Collective, Crip Camp and The Mole Hunter.

Docos, again, better than any nearly all dramatic film this season.

Reactions: 1 users

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
I saw High Ground a week or so ago. It’s a movie produced by and starring SImon Baker of The Mentalist fame.
Very good movie and extremely thought provoking about the clash of the western and indigenous cultures about 100 years ago in outback Australia.
Some great performances from Simon Baker himself as well as Jack Thompson and a number of little known indigenous actors. Much of the movie was using a local indigenous language with sub titles.
I really liked the movie but I suspect some may not.

Last edited:

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
Watched an Australian movie called 2067, a sci-fi time travel movie. Just came across as cheap, then boring. Can't recommend.

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
Coming 2 America is fun. Great to see Eddie Murphy in fine form (and looking barely 49, much less 59), bringing back all his and Arsenio's characters from the original, even the old Jewish bloke from the barber shop who should be at least 100 by now.

Wesley Snipes has a blast in his role, and there are cameos from James Earl Jones and Morgan Freeman in what in essence is a celebration of African America. An easy-to-swallow, light-hearted tonic evoking simpler times.

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
Coming 2 America is fun. Great to see Eddie Murphy in fine form (and looking barely 49, much less 59), bringing back all his and Arsenio's characters from the original, even the old Jewish bloke from the barber shop who should be at least 100 by now.
I couldn't even watch it for 10 minutes. Just made me feel old & the whole thing felt tired & cheap.
The first film whilst funny in parts honestly wasn't deserving of a sequel IMO.

artball

labels are for canned food
Jul 30, 2013
Spanish film 'Marshland' . Detectives in a great landscape. sbs on demand.

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne

Wesley Snipes has a blast in his role, and there are cameos from James Earl Jones and Morgan Freeman in what in essence is a celebration of African America. An easy-to-swallow, light-hearted tonic evoking simpler times.
wow there is a spook post I didn't expect to read. Haven't seen it but he review I read said the whole film made no sense as he original came to America to avoid the male/female stereotypes of his nation yet in the sequel he effectively overlooks his own daughters in search of a male heir

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
I couldn't even watch it for 10 minutes. Just made me feel old & the whole thing felt tired & cheap.
The first film whilst funny in parts honestly wasn't deserving of a sequel IMO.
I had to resist turning it off at the start, then I relaxed and enjoyed it for what it is. And it does get better.

wow there is a spook post I didn't expect to read. Haven't seen it but he review I read said the whole film made no sense as he original came to America to avoid the male/female stereotypes of his nation yet in the sequel he effectively overlooks his own daughters in search of a male heir
Haha! It's not high art by any means but it is amusing.

In the orig, he goes to America because he wants to find true love, rather than accept an arranged marriage with a woman who doesn't challenge him in any way.

According to this movie, it is the law of Zamunda that the king must produce a male heir. Wesley Snipes' character is the general in charge of the neighbouring country Nexdoria and the brother of the barking bride Prince Azeem rejected in the orig. He's going to invade if the two countries can't merge via a wedding. Then a bit of convenient deep fake flashback *smile* reveals that - no, wait! - Prince Azeem does have a bastard son in Queens! And so they go to bring him back to marry him to Snipes' daughter and maintain peace. You can probably figure out what happens from there.

It's totally lightweight fairy floss but that's ok. I think I'm right about the African-American (big fan) celebration thing. Eddie, Arsenio, James Earl Jones, Morgan Freeman, Snipes, Leslie Jones, Tracy Morgan, En Vogue, Salt'n'Pepa, John Amos, Trevor Noah, Gladys Knight, Rick Ross, John Legend, Dikembe Mutombo all make appearances, and all the memorable characters from the first pop up, including the beatboxing/rapping twin sisters, and of course Randy Watson and Sexual Chocolate, and Hall's sleazy preacher.

It's not going to win any awards and at points I found myself scrolling through my phone, but if you're like me and enjoyed the original as a teen, I reckon you'll find yourself smiling at the end of this.

Reactions: 2 users

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
Watched Un-hinged , pretty predictable once you’ve seen the trailer , bloody good actor is Russel Crowe .

Also watched Joker, for my very untrained eye it was underground trying to be mainstream or mainstream trying to be underground, doesn’t do enough for me just dribbles along, however thought Joaquin Phoenix was brilliant , just like he was in Walk the Line.

Watched American Sniper again , love the real stuff , what a story, man those men and women have some “balls” . great Actor in a variety of roles is Bradley Cooper , in saying that Lady GAGa not doubt carried him in a star is born :))

scottyturnerscurse

Tiger Legend
Apr 29, 2006
Re-watched Captain Fantastic. Love it even more. Great work by the director, who plays Gavin Belson in Silicon Valley.

Reactions: 2 users

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
Just walked out of seeing the little things , not even the brilliant Denzel W could save that storyline. I did like the fact I had the cinema to myself

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
Watched Greenbook, it’s cliche and a little cheesy at times but I enjoyed it far too much.

And watched Broadcast News again the other night. Boy it still holds up. Modern themes today set in 1987.