MRP | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

MRP

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
The intent doesn't matter. I accept it was incidental or accidental but it is still high contact. It is a free kick. It's not reportable but it's a free kick; unless Mansell has contributed by deliberately ducking his head and drawing the contact which is not the case.

If a player goes for a mark and his opponent tries to genuinely spoil the ball but hits the marker in the head that is a free kick. The offender's intention was the ball but he still gets penalised. Can't see what the difference is.
perhaps Mansell should have grabbed the ball, stood up, the looked around for a tackler then drove his head at them- then he would have received a free for too high.
Mansell has the ball- Selwood hits him in the head. I dont think anyone can dispute that- the photo shows it.
Does anyone disagree that someone who has the ball and gets hit in the head should get a free?

Reactions: 9 users

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
While I'm ranting on Selwood, remember when Tom Lynch rubbed the Brisbane bloke's head in the dirt after he disposed of it? He got a fine and after a few more cheap incidents being public enemy number 1 and the dirtiest bloke ever to play footy! Selwood did the exact same thing to Baker in last year's GF and was congratulated for his never give up/competitive nature by Bruce on the 7 commentary.

I totally admit I am bias but c'mon! Double standards annoys me!
Spot on Houston. That is a gold standard exemplar of the *smile* double standards. The Lynch narrative was 'he needs to get that out of his game' and it went on for weeks. The Selwood narrative was 'never stops competing, great warrior', and zero follow-up. Unbelievable.

Reactions: 4 users

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
INV0ONo.jpg

- Mansell has hands on the ball
- Selwood is reaching for the ball but doesn't yet have hands on the ball
- Selwood strikes Mansell's head with his body after this still

Sure, it all happened very quickly and I said from the start there is an absence of malice. But the AFL will crap on about "duty of care" when it suits them and ignore it when it doesn't. I don't care if Selwood plays next week or not, but let's at least demand the illusion of consistency from our overlords. Don't pretend you are about protecting the head, you dishonest *smile*.

Some interesting replies to this picture.

Yes, Selwood is going for the ball, that is clear.

Apparently he can't just pull out of his attempt to get the ball. Apparently it was just a collision.

But, wait a minute, where is Selwood's hip in relation to Mansell in this pic? They are heading towards a head clash but Selwood seemingly has plenty of time to turn and hit Mansell with his hip and avoid a collision between heads. Now, you could argue that he is protecting both himself and Mansell, but it does point to Selwood having time enough to respond to the situation.

In any case, hit to the head is a free kick, no interpretation required, no ambiguity and no applying the rules by the useless umpire.

DS

Reactions: 4 users

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
Some interesting replies to this picture.

Yes, Selwood is going for the ball, that is clear.

Apparently he can't just pull out of his attempt to get the ball. Apparently it was just a collision.

But, wait a minute, where is Selwood's hip in relation to Mansell in this pic? They are heading towards a head clash but Selwood seemingly has plenty of time to turn and hit Mansell with his hip and avoid a collision between heads. Now, you could argue that he is protecting both himself and Mansell, but it does point to Selwood having time enough to respond to the situation.

In any case, hit to the head is a free kick, no interpretation required, no ambiguity and no applying the rules by the useless umpire.

DS
I bet if it was the other way around or Mansel was Travis Boak it would've been a free kick

Reactions: 1 user

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
Tend to agree with A-Man. Selwood is not likable for many reasons in the way he now plays the game and it was noticeable on Friday night but this incident was at most a free kick to Richmond and not worth getting too excited about.

Reactions: 2 users

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
Tend to agree with A-Man. Selwood is not likable for many reasons in the way he now plays the game and it was noticeable on Friday night but this incident was at most a free kick to Richmond and not worth getting too excited about.
It's not the incident, its the princible that people are getting excited about.

The Mole

Tiger Champion
Apr 1, 2003
Mansell should know from his junior days not to lead with your head when approaching a contested situation. He has a responsibility to protect himself too.
What that image does not show you is that Mansell was almost stationery and Selwood flew in with absolute disregard

Reactions: 1 users

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
I'm a bit lost on this one.

It clearly looks like a free kick and a week off to me but yet I hear guys who have forgotten more about playing football than I'll ever know like Carey and Hodge argue the opposite.

We really do have a way to go to get a solid definition of these types of incidents.
Would've been easier if it was Mansell the no-name collecting Selwood. Out you go, son.

Reactions: 2 users

Razorgang2

Tiger Matchwinner
Mar 15, 2014
I'm a bit lost on this one.

It clearly looks like a free kick and a week off to me but yet I hear guys who have forgotten more about playing football than I'll ever know like Carey and Hodge argue the opposite.

We really do have a way to go to get a solid definition of these types of incidents.
Yeah interpretation is a *smile*, but ya have to protect the guy over the ball dont cha?

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
The irony, I get my head bitten off for suggesting that Dangerfield should have been cited in the GF for intentionally or carelessly striking another person (see 22.2.2 (a) (i)) and now apparently Selwood should be reported for intentionally or carelessly bumping or making forceful contact to an opponent from front-on when that Player has their head down over the football (see 22.2.2 (a) (vi)).

I give up, a week off for one incident but not for the other.

TBR, I hope you don't wonder why many here think you are a contrarian.

Personally I think both should have been sent to the tribunal for a proper look. Both had high potential for injury to the head. The head is clearly only sacrosanct when they can be bothered deciding it is so. Again, it is the gross inconsistency and incompetence on show which really p*sses me off. You see players get a week for less and players got off for more. Complete circus.

DS

Reactions: 5 users

acatman1

Tiger Superstar
Sep 18, 2016
The MRP

Sports version of "reality tv!"

Next the "punters' out here will be able to phone in who we want cited and who we want suspended.

Amateur hour, just pain embarrassing for a major spot in this country

Reactions: 1 user

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
I'm reasonably comfortable that it was not worth a suspension.

I am entirely uncomfortable with the fact that a free kick wasn't paid for high contact. To argue that it wasn't a free kick is absurd. Contact to the head is a free kick in any shape or form. Unless it's an accidental head clash where you can't pay a free to both players.

Reactions: 5 users

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
Would've been easier if it was Mansell the no-name collecting Selwood. Out you go, son.
If Selwood Miers Zorko or Robbie Copped the same.
100% free kick
Arms wouldve been flying everywhere and rolling around like they had been decapitated.

Reactions: 1 users