MRP | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

MRP

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
Hocking got off as mooted by Arse Browne. The game has become too contrived for me, won't be attending games until further notice.

BUMPS OR MAKES FORCEFUL CONTACT TO AN OPPOSITION PLAYER FROM FRONT-ON WHEN THAT PLAYER HAS THEIR HEAD DOWN OVER THE FOOTBALL

Do these *smile* read their own *smile*?
I’m a bit the same. The lack of enforcement of the rules is just giving me the *smile*. The game has not changed for the better this year IMO.

Reactions: 1 users

Streak

Tiger Legend
Aug 31, 2007
Western Australia
media narrative is that Finlayson will get a fine.

even though the footage shows him running 20m and gritting his teeth and trying to detach ferrets ear from his head, with his elbow.

so he'll get a fine

what is Deliberate/high Contact/low impact worth?

cause thats unequivocally what it is.

in English, he tried to take his head off and missed

In the footage I have seen, Merrett cops a pretty significant whack from Finlayson, and it is to the back of the neck/head area. And clearly intentional.

That has to be worth a holiday for mine.

Either that or it has been a bad few weeks for blood sugar levels in NSW.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

HR

Tiger Superstar
Mar 20, 2013
Yep, that's a week I reckon. You can't crash into a bloke's head when he is picking up the ball.
Normally its a free as a minimum, how many times have we seen a player get hit in the legs by another getting the ball and giving away a high free. Nankervis in round 1 or 2, stood up as he was going to make high contact gets hit by the opponent and still gives a free against.
For the ump to not even pay a free is another demonstration that the Tigers are not afforded the same adjudication as other teams.
Regardless of all the intricacies and BS of the new interpretations RFC is always on the wrong side of the adjudication and umpiring choices.

HR

Tiger Superstar
Mar 20, 2013
BUMPS OR MAKES FORCEFUL CONTACT TO AN OPPOSITION PLAYER FROM FRONT-ON WHEN THAT PLAYER HAS THEIR HEAD DOWN OVER THE FOOTBALL
This is exactly what the commentators need to understand. They influence the MRP beyond belief in my opinion.
The umps must get a reminder to.
Time for the *smile* chant from those of us who can attend the games.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Cotchin & Selwood's bumps exactly the same, both went lower and harder, both had hands on the ball at time of impact. The correct outcome is no suspension, the only difference is that they will not still be bringing up Selwood's hit on Mansell 4 years later every time someone gets bumped in the head

Agree. The angst over conspiracies here is OTT.

Reactions: 1 user

Willo

Tiger Legend
Oct 13, 2007
Aldinga Beach
Cotchin & Selwood's bumps exactly the same, both went lower and harder, both had hands on the ball at time of impact. The correct outcome is no suspension, the only difference is that they will not still be bringing up Selwood's hit on Mansell 4 years later every time someone gets bumped in the head
I disagree they were the same.
Cotchin comes in from the side when the ball was in dispute. Cotchin collected Shiel’s shoulder.
Selwood come from front on. He had to make contact with Mansell’s head. And he knew it.

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
Agree. The angst over conspiracies here is OTT.
Why wasn’t it even paid a free kick. No matter what your intention you can not hit a player in the head. There are three umpires on the ground. How is it possible that n one of them saw fit to pay a free kick for high contact?

Vlastuin (twice), Grimes and Mansell have all been taken high in the past nine games and not one was paid a free kick. Two of the incidents have resulted in concussions that forced players from the field or forced them to miss the next game.

Reactions: 8 users

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
I disagree they were the same.
Cotchin comes in from the side when the ball was in dispute. Cotchin collected Shiel’s shoulder.
Selwood come from front on. He had to make contact with Mansell’s head. And he knew it.
In the PF of 2019 a Geelong player was moving forward with his head down to pick up the ball. Soldo came from the opposite direction but stopped as the Geelong player kept charging forward with his head down. He ran into Soldo’s leg with his head; free kick Geelong. What Cheatwood did the other night was worse than that yet no free kick. He had a duty of care to not hit Mansell in the head but ignored it.

It does seem our players are umpired to a different set of rules.

Reactions: 6 users

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
Apparently in the AFL the head is sacrosanct. Unless that head is on the shoulders of a Richmond player.

Forget about the MRO. Our players get belted in the head but can’t even get the umpires to pay a free kick!!

Reactions: 7 users

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
It was pretty marginal, I agree. Could have gone either way.
Agree. Selwood went in the right way and was also attempting to pick up the ball. If anything Mansell endangered himself by leading with his head. May as well give up if players are going to get suspended for incidents in that circumstance.

Legends of 2017

Finally!!!!!!!!!!!
Mar 24, 2005
Melbourne
Apparently in the AFL the head is sacrosanct. Unless that head is on the shoulders of a Richmond player.

Forget about the MRO. Our players get belted in the head but can’t even get the umpires to pay a free kick!!
You are wrong about the umpires not paying a free kick when a Richmond player gets belted in the head. Remember when KMac got hit in the head and was concussed against the swans? The umpires paid a free kick then........................... to the swans :mad:

Reactions: 2 users

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
Vlastuin (twice), Grimes and Mansell have all been taken high in the past nine games and not one was paid a free kick. Two of the incidents have resulted in concussions that forced players from the field or forced them to miss the next game.
And Baker on Friday night. Duncan should be cited but I bet it's not even mentioned.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
There's a fairly significant difference in the attention given to them because of the stakes involved though. Selwood's not in danger of missing his club's first Grand Final in 30 years.
There was also a lot of angst over Shiel going off and not being able to play after getting collected by DTLD as well.